emp_district

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by zachtos, May 15, 2006.

1. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Well, Duke's an artist, not a mapper. He just likes to make things look pretty. I can give you the source.

2. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

3. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

That would be great!

Edit: i've changed a lot in the decompiled version today, i think i might be able to change everything from this vmf file.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  4. Caelo

Caelo Member

so thats why the smoke kills the server when it plays this map?

also I have 50fps and almost never really experience real lag when playing this map...

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I can play fine on any other map, but district slows me to a crawl every time. It's completely unplayable for me, which is really frustrating when the server changes to this level and I'm practically forced to leave.

It is almost certainly a vis problem, as this only happens when looking across the level, if I look straight up or straight down I'm fine.

IMHO, if a map has problems as serious as district does, it should not even be released, let alone become official. "I don't have this problem, so it doesn't exist" is not the attitude to take.

6. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

We tested the map, and it ran fine on our end. Once we reach that point, we release to the public to get feedback and bug reports because this is a beta and that's the whole point of the mod right now.

7. Caelo

Caelo Member

I wasn't saying it doesnt exist... people just exagerate the problems district has... at least thats what I think

8. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I also decompiled this map to check it on my own. When I disabled func_detail visibility almost whole map was gone! Man that's so bad that I can't even imagine that someone could do this. Everytime you look at ANY point of the map the game will try to render WHOLE map.

9. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I can appreciate that, but my point is that it should not still be in rotation, several versions after a serious show-stopping bug (for some) has been discovered.

Maybe I'm thinking of Empires as too much of a finished product already, whereas I should be able to accept that bugs happen.

As for exaggeration, I can assure you that I drop to <1fps as soon as I join this map on a remote server, no matter how many players are present.

It's just a shame to see something of such blatant poor quality included in an otherwise amazing package (no offence Duke).

10. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

The fact that the entire map is one big func_detail shows that the map does indeed have a serious problem and should be fixed before being added to next version

11. Darg

Darg Member

Well that's odd broccoli because I have a very poor system with regards to FPS on empires. Generally I'm lucky to get > 20. I notice little or no lowering of FPS when playing district. I haven't played it in a release or two due to my lack of decent connection now but I never had a problem playing it before.

Often times it is a good idea to use func_detail on smaller props. Were the walls around the streets func_detail too? All you really have to do is ensure that all the big buildings are not func_detail. Anything smaller would just be complicating the VIS leafs and actually lowering the frame rate. The way district is set out the big buildings will block off anything that shouldn't be seen.

12. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

EVERYTHING is func_detail, buildings were 1 func_detail each.

13. Darg

Darg Member

Ah. Well set the buildings to affect the VIS leafs and then check the performance compared to what it was with them as func_details.

14. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

yeah, I was always surprised that such a small map could be so laggy.

I'm getting really excited about being able to play this properly. if you could go inside more of the buildings, or you gave it a sewer this map would be WIN.

15. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Sewers would be like rooftops, but worse, more spam would occur in the sewers, and i've already discussed this before with MOOtant, he didn't like it either.I also want to keep its layout the same for the most part, except for enterable buildings.

Update: so far i've changed enough in the map to have its vmf 3 MB less in size, i'm not even done with stage one of optimization.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  16. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Raise the skybox so mortars can fire over buildings :(

17. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

:) This would be a good addition as it would prevent mini-turretfarming and make stalemates less likely. :)

18. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

If you mean something like firing from BE spawn all the way to the next street, that would require a huge empty area behind the buildings, and costs a lot of performance.(more lag, less FPS).

19. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

More like being able to sit around the corner and shoot to the street around it.

Basically if there's a building there, it should be able to be shot over.

20. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I can do that.

Also: Update: so far i've changed enough in the map to have its vmf nearly 4 MB less in size, i'm not even done with stage one of optimization. I'm nearly done with optimizing, only 1 and a half sreets to do and NF base.