emp_caverats

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by DocRabbit, Nov 4, 2014.

1. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Holly fuck its commander hell.

The Scouts... they are coming!

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Oh no, this map requires a strategy different to what we have been playing since forever!

3. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Quickly flame the mapmaker and tell him the map is shit!

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Where did you even get that impression from.

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, seems straight forward to me. Like you can compare it to downfall, except this map has a straight path to the enemy base. It's gonna start like money where each team will wall off the front as soon as they can and/or rush the enemy base. This is better though, you have side options, has a spooky atmosphere, and there doesn't seem like you can build 5 bases at the starting main. Oh and refs are out of the base, not in it so people can't turtle forever. I don't think it will have incredibly different gameplay compared to other maps, it will just require closer combat as far as I can tell.

6. Metruption

Metruption Member

Can the map cause buildings to act as light sources? Have some areas with LOTS of cover that are intentionally VERY dark so that you have to "light it up" with a few engy walls. There'd need to be lots of cover so that you can't just use commander as your personal haxx who tells you exactly where to aim and shoot. Maybe just have it be really really dark there with enough cover to prevent commtargethaxx but little enough to make it feel really open. Something like the part of HL2E1 when you're waiting for the elevator and the only light sources are your flashlight and a few temporary flares. (That was some of the most fun I've ever had in a videogame :D).

7. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Yeah, that part on HL2EP1 was absolutely frightening when I first played it, but I've since come to love and cherish that section. It's hard to have such rich gameplay with so few ingredients. There's a certain "purity" to it. Alas, it had to end eventually as you collected more and more bits of kit.

Unfortunately, I don't think Doc (or anyone) can emulate that part of HL2EP1 in Empires. Still, this map is promising for other reasons.

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I like the concept and the way it's going, but the texture tiling is seriously bad. I get that it's not an easy thing to deal with but it kills the map for me personally.

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Its like playing war games in a giant colon made of stone.

10. 101010

101010 Member

Not going to lie I kind of hated Grave yard.
    But this map......Could possibly end up being one of the best. Seeing lots of potential.

11. complete_

complete_ lamer

doc you made graveyard?

that map needs like 2 changes and its a great map (the secret tunnel thing made me so happy)

12. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

Yes, I made graveyard. Some love, Some hate. I just thought it was a good change from the humdrum choke point maps we always play. Its raw in your face fighting. It started just as an experiment on setting up a dark stormy environment and to test my models in. With Halloween coming up it seemed a good fit since we don't have anything other than boohouse for halloween. I bet one change is make it lighter. :) And maybe door on other side of barn.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  13. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

This is still early stage beta, I haven't even decided on texture. I definitely haven't spent time aligning them or painting the alphas in. When it is done, they will align. Although, some of the stock maps have serious alignment issues on textures that no one seems to care about. ;)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  14. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Just want to throw out there that there was another map called Graveyard made by ScardyBob. I don't know how much it actually got played but I was pretty confused when I heard about us playing "Graveyard" when it first came up.

Minimap of ScardyBob's Graveyard for reference:

[​IMG]

15. complete_

complete_ lamer

THE FUCK. why have i never played it?

16. ImSpartacus

But where are the graves?

17. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

The map itself is in one.

18. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

Well, I decided to try a texture change and put it up here and see what everyone thinks. I personally like this one better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. ImSpartacus

It's hot.

20. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Awesome! Now ... how do I mine all that iron?

Seriously, this reminds me of the inside of an asteroid in space engineers. Love it.