emp_caverats

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by DocRabbit, Nov 4, 2014.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

It looks nice but it really seems like the Be would just blend in into darkness.
    Its green and orange metallic.
    Its copper,not iron.
    /nitpick

3. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

I may sound really stupid asking this, but does empires currently still support "area-based vehicle textures" as in different textures depending on the area the map is set to be in: city/woodland/desert.
    If so, you might be able to improve atleast vehicle visibility by making another camo (space-camo) that is all colorful and bright.

4. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Can you make ant lions spawn and they become a stage hazard?
    Or is that something out of reach?

5. Z100000M

Unless you envision them as a turret reskin, i highly doubt that.

6. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Should be able to spawn an ant lion like something and have it move in a predetermined pattern and have it cause dmg to what ever it touches. Remember a certain map with a pig you could ride?

7. BigTeef

Nah, I was thinking legit ant lion npc's and they spawn through out the cave to make the early game more interesting, and drop off late game.

8. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

I'm pretty sure the legit npc_antlion entity isn't included in Empires.

EDIT: Yhea, double checked, it's not there. None of the npc entities are.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  9. BigTeef

Bummer

10. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

11. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I played for about three quarters of a round tonight and I have some preliminary feedback.

Firstly, the map is much prettier than the screenshots make it seem. I know source doesn't do amazing light, but I loved seeing those spot lights out alone in the darkness. I really have no other empires map to compare it to. It's really in a class of its own.

As far as gameplay, it felt sluggish. I commed and I felt handcuffed. I'm used to working at a very fast pace, but everything just plodded along due to a mixture of constantly fighting the ceiling in com view, constantly fighting the curved floor while placing buildings and constantly running into turrets that I hid in the shadows. It was far less enjoyable than I expected.

Obviously my reactions are preliminary and I look forward to trying it again in the coming days. Hopefully the next game won't be after a world record palm bay match. That certainly didn't help my spirits going into this map.

12. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

Yeah, that marathon match on isle made me tired. I was thinking the same thing about it being bad to test new map after that round. I found while building it that minimap clicking helped in building placement, even if you are near area.

13. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Sorry I didn't get to chance to play, had to leave to do something. I did load it up to check it out though. This is a really fun map to drive around in. Though it was a bit strange, certain parts were it got dark I lost all sense of up and down and felt like I was driving on the walls. Which just made the experience better.

It really is a great looking map. I did question those random poles here and there, I suppose they were cave supports or something. Also couldn't quite fathom what that grid of steel beams was for, it looked like the skeleton of a building, or one of those billboards. Still, I think you nailed atmosphere quite nicely, which was one of the harder things to achieve I've felt.

I did mess with comm view, once you realize you can click and drag the camera around on the minimap it isn't so hard to do stuff, but it is a bit different then standard practice so I imagine players new to the map would get a bit frustrated, like spartacus did.

How did that round of palm end? It looked like be got back on its feet but nf was about to push right back when I left.

14. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

BE was about to win (28 tickets to 0) after a long resource war where BE held tanks far more efficiently, but NF RTV'd.

For those who didn't play it was a 93 minute game where BE was behind for almost the entire thing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  15. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

Those random poles are light poles, if you build the generators to left and right of your main, you can turn them on. Yeah, its pretty dark without them on. I guess I could ambient up the darker areas so they are not so dark, just don't want to go too far, or it will loose that cave appeal.

16. BigTeef

If I begged you hard enough to make a legit trench map, would you make it?

17. Z100000M

We have one.

18. BigTeef

What is it and is it a good one?

19. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Oh yeah I remember that. Even had a tunnel you could "dig" by building it. Was pretty long time ago I played that last.

20. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

I found the bsp in one of my backup drives. It was emp_trenchwarfare_a1v10

Don't have the minimap/res/or resource files though. Vicki or Trickster may have it somewhere.
    This was the infantry only one. Pretty sure we had one with tanks too, can't remember name of that one.