[EMOSL] Pick-Up Game Draft

Discussion in 'General' started by Lawliet, Jun 8, 2014.

1. FN198

FN198 Member

Hey, lawliet rushed first.

2. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

And it would have worked too, if it weren't for you meddling kids.

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

You have a point about duststorm, I know there's a better map but I can't really think of it atm. The idea wasn't really serious, but the point isn't that the unskilled team would win, but rather it would be good practice for them.

I mean there's so much complaining going on about individual people, that the point is being missed. If there's someone tough to beat, you play against them until you learn how to beat them. Sure you might not equal their skill, but you'll find a way to make the odds more even. Half the fun of online games is learning how to take on difficult players or teams.

4. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

I felt that Lawliet's team had more rifleman vets and we would have lost both games normally. But FN called on his elements and somehow managed to get us to rush the enemy comm, twice. Seeing as I usually lose to FN because of comm rushes I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise.

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

If there is a couple of really good players on the incompetent team, then maybe yeah it would be good. But otherwise no, there is a ridiculous amount of BS a vet can do and probably will do that will leave a lot of player who don't know about it frustrated and confused.

I feel like this is very similar to something I discussed with to teef about, it was about fighting games(skullgirls) but it is relevant here too. Teef said you just need to learn how the game is played, to which I argued that it was no fun to do that, as in spend a whole bunch of time just learning some core mechanics(I'm talking hours of learning then practicing by yourself so you don't get your shit stomped.). And my first experience with playing others is that the bar was so high I couldn't hope to learn anything by playing them really.

After thinking a little longer I kinda realized I was talking about noobs, and you meant people who have played the game and just want to get a bit better, which yeah, it would be a good experience for them.

6. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Freaknovich is 90% confirmed to captain. In case he is unable to make it, we have a potential substitute captain.

7. Metruption

Metruption Member

If we play emp_empirescup afterwards for cooldown then I'll captain. I have some super next level theorycrafting for that map.

8. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

That's not a bad idea.

EDIT I meant the empirescup part, not the captain part. <3

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Pretty much. I just felt that there was some fighting-spirit lacking where usually I'd expect people to go all out in order to defeat a superior team, people were more like..."it's so unfair, you'll get two skilled people on your team". It's like they have so little faith in their own ability...which is sad. I say it all the time, but I literally get killed by everyone in game...but even with my low level of skill, I do feel able to kill pretty much everyone back.

It's kinda funny, since I'm a rifleman or scout maybe 2% of the time I play, but if you see me as that class you see a different player entirely - mostly because the game is completely different then. It's just a fps. Whereas with engineer I'm basically someone who makes winning viable, and as gren I'm there to take out the big guns and rain hell on everything else. As a rifleman, I'm area denial. If someone gets shot while I'm there, it's my fault, because I'm there to make sure it doesn't happen. Because once they're dead, I can't do anything about it. I can't bring them back to life, I can't heal the wounded and I can't give myself more ammo. All I can do is guard the lives of my teammates, so they can make winning viable.

10. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Password to the server is scrim4scrimscrim

11. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

This was kinda fun.

12. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

This shit was amazing fun, make this biweekly swap out losing captains.

13. ImSpartacus

I agree. That's how a pug should be.

14. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

I also enjoyed it. I like the format, especially if you can get the process down properly. Bi-weekly? I don't think it's possible to find a suitable time for both Europeans and Americans.

2nd round felt extremely hopeless to me. BE comm did well to back up the front lines with walls and turrets. There was no way anybody could break past them. As soon as I noticed them I was like fuck, my dumb-ass plans have no power here. BE's infantry on the west side were extremely cohesive, lots of rev engies, impossible to break. Miraculously we got a chance at the end of the game. I then proceeded to place stuns on the wrong side of CV, thinking it wouldn't matter. There are a lot of 'if only' things, but I think we were extremely lucky to get that far anyway.

And well done Lawliet for getting through the numerous problems and sticking to it.

15. ImSpartacus

Stuns do 2/3 of the damage of a sticky, so it's not negligible. It's definitely feasible for a scout to kill a cv solo.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I was kind of lazy though. I reinforced the front lines and spent like 20 minutes thinking "I should probably bunker my CV in for the inevitable break-through", but I never bothered. Usually on Canyon I reinforce the hill outside BE main, wall it up, turret it up and make it so it takes at like a few minutes to break into.

You guys finally broke through that side when I moved the secondary squad from West to East. That allowed the East to get the break-through they needed. They had so much momentum I didn't want to move the squad back, they were on the hill outside NF just before that rush started.

17. ImSpartacus

Wait, you commed that?

18. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I didnt want to command twice so he took it

19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yeah I commed.

20. ImSpartacus

What really scared me was when my squad got pulled from east and we went 100% on west. We couldn't get APCs past a line of unbuilt walls. I just hopped out and mortared them.

I'm not a good gren, but walls aren't exactly moving targets. The only thing that pissed me off was even you built another line. However that line went down as easily as the first and we're in.