[EMOSL] Pick-Up Game Draft

Discussion in 'General' started by Lawliet, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Password to the server is scrim4scrimscrim

Hello forum-goers and Empires Mod players. Lawliet here from the Empires Mod Organized Scrim League. After talking to a few players, I've decided to hold a PUG-Draft. Here's how it will work.

What you need to do AS A PLAYER

Step 1: Show up on the event server(the password will be distributed via the Empires Mod Forums and the steam group)

Step 2: A captain will draft you. First pick in the draft will be decided via coin flip. This is a normal draft and none of that serpentine bullshit.

Step 3: You will play that round. You may leave after the round is over or resume playing.

Step 4: Rinse and repeat the draft per round.

NOTE: There will be a coinflip for the first pick. The winner decides whether he would draft first or pick what team he goes on.

What you need to do as a CAPTAIN

Step 1: Captains are required to inform me via this thread or the steam platform that they want to captain in the PUG.
    *there can be more than 2 captains in total. You can take turns if you want 4 captains.

Step 2: Draft a team. It will be a 1-1 draft.

Step 3: Play the entire round in which you drafted in.

Step 4: Rinse and repeat the draft per round.

What you need to do as a SPECTATOR

Step 1: Inform me in the case that you only want to spectate and not play the game. You will be required to wear a [SPECTATOR] tag so you do not interfere in the draft.

NOTE: If you are late to the event, you may sit in spectator but are still required to wait the whole round's remaining time to play.

Rules
    1. No exploiting of any kind will be permitted.
    2. Keep the chat clean. (this means no trash-talking, keep it professional, this isn't a pub)
    3. No spamming voice chat (as in playing HLDJ shit through voice chat)
    4. No Ghosting
    5. Do not trash this thread.
    6. Join spectator at the start of the map. DO NOT JOIN A TEAM.

If you break the Rules
    1. You will be banned from participating in EMOSL events indefinitely.
    2. You will be banned immediately after the round is concluded. (this is in order to prevent imbalance in player count) (if the exploit is game-breaking to the point where you prevent the opposing team from winning when they should, your team will be disqualified for the round)

For this event, there will not be a sign-up. Simply show up to the event. If you want to event password, please join the steam group.

THE TIME

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Is good shit.

3. Metruption

Metruption Member

Permanent ban from EMOSL for accidentally joining a team other then spectator at the beginning seems a bit harsh.

4. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

You waste my time and everyone else's time if you do that.

5. Metruption

Metruption Member

How is your time wasted if somebody accidentally joins BE, realizes their mistake immediately and then joins Spectator immediately afterwards?

6. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Yeah that is a bit much.
    Like I did that shit at-least twice, I don't see how I wasted anyones time.

7. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

You'd trigger the comm vote timer and we'll have to change the map again?
    Best reason to perma ban.

8. BigTeef

oh my god guise he pressed auto assign while join teams!

bettah ban dat noob, lol dat will show em

my eveants for evahs

Yeah fuck off with the elitism, thats the reason why we lost players to begin with.

9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Greetings fellow Empires players, we here at the Empires development team always like to encourage non-toxic and fun gameplay mechanics. Our recent patches have left this out to favour implementations like shotguns and a game client that can start up; for patch 2.5 we have addressed many of the concerns and problems of the playerbase that were so far left untouched from patch 2.4 and before.

• A new reporting system has been implemented for the betterment of our community and to promote fun, non-toxic behaviour. If you feel a player has treated you in a bad manner, hurt your feelings, joined a team, or they are a white-cis-male scum, you can now report them at the end of a match. Reporting is easy and simple, when a match ends you just right click a player's name in the scoreboard, click "report this player" and voila, consequences will never be the same for that sorry asshole ever again. Remember to do YOUR part and report every time it's necessary.
    • All guns have been removed from the game, with the exception of the shot pistol. We've decreased the amount of pellets that the shot pistol fires to 4, and we increased the spread much higher. Since player's hate dieing from sources they are too far away from too see, you'll have to literally be standing right in front of someone to land a shot on them. Why not use melee? Because we removed that too. Now we can all have a nice balanced game of empires.
    • Added AI to the game, these AIs are drones that go and build buildings. In fact they also act as infantry, since we know that the players don't find both of those jobs as fun as driving vehicles. Infantry drones now spawn at barracks, and players spawn straight out of vehicle factories in the vehicle of their choice, as long as it's the medium tank - the other tanks were removed.
    • We know you love sitting in spectator and talking with eth0, but he never seems to be around? Well we have an answer to that, we've made a couple hundred clones of eth0, put them all onto the moon in a sort of disabled state. The clones when enabled last for about 3 years, so we just go and get another eth0 and make a deal with that clone to sit in spectator and talk about gnu/linux and Trickster for those 3 years. Don't worry, we told him we'll pay him after the 3 years (he doesn't know he dies).
    • Brenodi Empire and Northern Faction teams can no longer be joined, we felt as if it was hard for players to handle situations in which either a team would say be stacked, or were trying to host a competetive match and were being annoyed by players for accidentally joining a team and starting the commander timer. Instead everyone gets to play on one team, together, we call it spectator. If there is no team to lose on, then you're always winning. In the video game development world we call that balancing.
      • So on that note, we just made the AI drones play the game while everyone else can sit back, relax, and watch a usual game of empires while one of eth0's clones talks to you.

We really can't wait for our press release at E3 tomorrow. Empires will be applauded as the one and only true e-sport.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  10. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I'm certain there will be some flexibility when it comes to people accidentally joining teams early, but are people really that butthurt over the idea that joining a team early is against the rules? This isn't even elitism, these rules are being plainly laid out for everyone to see, and it's a fairly basic one at that.

When you join teams early, it forces the command vote timer to begin and seriously reduces the amount of time for pre-round organization. There needs to be sufficient time for everyone to join the server before the voting time begins so that we're not spending a decent chunk of the vote time waiting for people to connect, then having to deal with people that load up a good bit slower needing to have everything reexplained to them.

It's not even that hard of a rule to follow. Round starts, join spectate. Hell, you can bind a key to "hidepanel team; jointeam 1" and just pound it at the start of a round to close the teammenu and join spec.

11. BigTeef

If permanent banning from now and future events because of a few accidents isn't considered elitism, then what is?

They are offering no flexibility and absolutes.

This is like getting removed from an honors society for having one B, or firing a janitor for waxing on a Saturday instead of a Sunday.
    Better yet, this is like beating a child mercilessly for spilling koolaide.

12. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Well, no, it's nothing like any of those because there are not any real, physical consequences to not being able to participate in this particular series of events. If this is what you consider to be elitism, then perhaps a bit of elitism is a good thing. One of the things I noticed today was a painful lack of discipline and seriousness on the part of my team in the matches, so perhaps some serious rules will encourage people to try and play more seriously.

13. BigTeef

Candles confirmed child abuser.

Also, thats what you get for having a bunch of fucking mic spammers and paradox on your team.
    Blame the person who thought freak, creeper, spartacus, and paradox all on the same team would be a good idea.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ESTNOVEMBER
    Compare your team to mine, and you will see im the only fucktard in my group, and I can be tryhard when I feel like it.

Lazybum put actual effort into inviting people versus all random troll picks.

14. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Please try to stay on topic. If you would like to discuss about yesterday's little get together, you can do so in the respective thread.

If anything, these rules are in place not for elitism but for professionalism. If you can't listen to the simple instruction that has been laid out in front of you, you do not deserve to play. Plain and simple.

The spectator policy is in place to make sure we do not waste time having to restart the map. This is especially there since I do not have administrator access on VIPER servers, and if we could make the drafting process as clean as possible, rules need to be put forth to make it as clear as possible of the EMOSL's expectations from the players.

15. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Does exploiting also cover walking up hills you are not supposed to?

16. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Yes. I will personally be in spectator administrating the event to make sure everything runs smoothly and sound.

17. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I could be wrong, but it might be possible to set the vote time to like 30 minutes, then once the draft is done, actively change it down to 10 minutes once people are on their teams. Or it might be possible to just increase it if someone joins a team. Either way, someone starting the vote timer isn't as much of a problem as it used to be.

18. Minato

Minato Member

How big will the teams be?
    As many people as gather at the beginning of the match, or will we stick to the 6v6/11v11 format and whoever's picked first by the captains?

19. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

You find that out when people arrive.

That's the beauty of this setup. It fluidly accepts literally any playercount. Even if you have an odd number of players, the "weakest" player from the draft will be the extra, so it's still mostly fair.

20. Metruption

Metruption Member

Violation from the spectator rule should, in my opinion, warrant a ban from EMOSL for the following week, but certainly not permanently.