[EMOSL] Pick-Up Game Draft

Discussion in 'General' started by Lawliet, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Mathematicly speaking theres a higher chance of getting unfair teams than even teams cause the ammount of possible unfair teams to make is higher than the ammount of fair teams you can make.

2. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

Well I'm looking forward to it, flame wars on the forum aside:D

Draft picks sounds like a nice system, so let's try it out. If it flops horribly well there we go. We won't do it again.

3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Thing is I'm pretty sure it has been done multiple times in the past for empires and it usually works out well. Talking about draft style pick.

4. Paradox

I remember it been done once, problem then was one captain was super serious about winning and the other one just wanted to have fun so the super serious captain got all the good players and won the games.

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Wasn't that game Paradox vs Security? I'm sure Security wad captain of one team, I just don't remember the other. Anyway, that is what happened, and after all, that's how troll pick vs srs pick will always end. At the same time, though, the imbalance is then caused not by the will of many, but by the lust for lulz of one - there's simply less room for failure, period.

6. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Teef- 3
    Paradox- 1

I am sorry but you have't earn the right to shit talk.
    Please contact my secretary if you have any future complaints.

I said hypotheticals are not allowed.

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I gave a run-down in the other thread, and this discussion should stick to that one.

8. Paradox

Not sure I wasnt a captain though, I think it was harryhoot versus someone

9. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Worst case scenario, if we do not get captains for Saturday, we'll just host a normal PUG without rules.

10. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Skipping all the drama....

Add a bit of code for a variable in the server exec to force players into spec while disabling the teams? sv_auto_spec 1

11. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Thank you. All the server stuff has always been trouble for me but you guys are really helping out. Thanks again.

12. complete_

complete_ lamer

shut up you little bitch

also why is metruption banned

13. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Metruption isn't banned bro.

14. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Metruption got banned for multi-accounting. It's a short ban, only two days.

Actually, that's a good idea that'd be simple to do. I'll put it in tomorrow.

EDIT:: Fuck it, that's such an easy feature that I already added it.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  15. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Man he is on a roll.

16. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

Could you please introduce explicit rules against switching teams.From previous experience in this format I have seen the integrity of a teams draft dismantled and 5 minutes of strategic planning compromised by players who either do not understand the format correctly or simply decide that it doesn't concern them. You are placed on a team, you stay on that team, no matter what happens.

I like the fact that you are drafting each game, it eliminates a lot of potential for absence and playing multiple games with stacked teams. But it also means that you need to regulate the draft time, a maximum of 10 seconds per pick, for example, I believe is necessary.

I also think a cap on the number of games should always be introduced. I don't know about others but whenever I see the potential for limitless games, it makes me less compelled to continue playing. When the number of games is limited, you always end on a high, with a well populated server and players who have put everything into the game. When you do not limit the games it always ends on a low, the rules become seemingly unimportant and the games are much worse. 3 is ideal.

Overall, this is just my opinion and I believe this event will work better than what I've heard spikes turned out to be. Either way, Thank you Lawliet for putting on this event and trying to improve things.

Edit: Probably should have gone in feedback thread but nevermind.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  17. FN198

FN198 Member

emosl superior

/shitpost

18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

A Pug? Well this is more my speed. I have something else to do the same time every week, but sometimes it's real quiet, so I might join.

I see people are being a bit scared about unfair teams...well, what would be a little fun would be to pick the super skilled team and have the low-skilled team against them. It might seem a bit hard to begin with, but the best way to get better quickly is to play against a challenge.

Of course with Empires it's pretty dependent, and on a map like midbridge you wouldn't learn anything from that - too many areas you can be wiped out from and not recover easily. But on something like duststorm, it provides an ample field for honing your skills, without being too skewed.

19. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Trickster... where is my pat on the back?

[​IMG]

That's what like 45 bad ideas and 4 good? That's got to be a new record for empires!

20. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Duststorm remains to be the map that can end the fastest in my opinion, after seeing it happen so many times. If you can get both commanders to agree to not rush each other, sure maybe. Most fun on that map is when both commanders are either both incompetent or highly competent.

I can't say much about the idea of skilled versus unskilled. If unskilled is heavily stacked player count wise maybe. But I think it was proven a couple of times it doesn't work, the overly competent team will win.