District Tactical

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Sandbag, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Empty

Empty Member

HAVE YOU NOT FUCKING PLAYED DISTRICT AFTER BOTH TEAMS HIT 0 TICKETS.

[​IMG]

2. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

The name is Glycencity, of the map I was referring to.

Here's how it goes;

Each team starts with 5k tickets.
    The bleed rate with 0 flags each (which includes base flag, because those flags still win the game) is 5 tickets every 2 seconds. That gives the game a time cap of 33.3333 (yadda ya) minutes. That is fairly good, yes?
    Then each flag you cap adds one bleed to the enemy, and subtracts one bleed from you. If team A controls middle, they have a bleed rate of 2/sec, and team B has a bleed rate of 3/sec.

Because of spawns, the time would probably go to 25 minutes. If one doesn't like this time, then add another 500/600 tickets or so.

3. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

Ticket bleed is a shit idea. It means that one team caps the enemy bleeder flag and then can shut the map down and not attack for the win. It happens now and should not be encouraged. this means that only the middle 3rd of the map is competed over.

End discussion of ticket bleed. tickets are bad full stop.

4. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Middle is already hard enough to hold with mortar/artillery strike spam. IMHO, turrets should be removed completely; they're the main reason middle doesn't get taken -- even at level one. Cameras are fine though.

Also, tickets are just a timer, especially in the 5k scenario. Respawns cease to matter (well, at least have littler impact), and it's about capping flags.

As for the enemy bleeder flag, that's a map-related problem, isn't it? I mean, the design of the map. BE can take their bleeder back easily, but for NF, they're screwed. There could possibly be a ladder that leads the the corner of it, that way it takes two guys to properly watch it. I dunno.

5. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

have you played the proposed adjusted version? (forgot the cfg file with it, so still has turrets.

There IS a back way into it.

6. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

No, I didn't. I was just going off of regular district.

Will play sometime this weekend.

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

normal district (as i havent played this version) should have the center flag bleeding 1 ticket each 15minutes or smthg to prevent the endless stalemate after both teams went to zero.

ive seen this map going on for an hour after it was 0:0

8. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

The thing is:

1. In Glycencity it is relatively hard to defend the center, at least compared to District. This means that it's rarely a good strategy to just fortify the center and wait for your opponent to bleed to death.

2. Glycencity has a bunch of small flags that the other side can focus on stealing even if you have the center, or you can focus on stealing to end things sooner. This keeps things interesting rather than devolving into one boring grind over the center.

3. In Glycencity, you can cripple the enemy team by rushing or sneaking past the center and blowing up their VF. Again, this makes it a bad idea to camp too heavily in the center, because the enemy might slip past you.

4. None of Glycencity's areas are as absurdly defensible as most parts of District are. Even without bleeding, it's hard to imagine anyone defending any flag on Glycencity indefinitely unless the enemy totally sucks (in which case they can just win.)

5. Glycencity has tanks, which inherently make things less static. No matter how well you are doing, if all your tanks on the field get blown up and the enemy has two or three present, you're at a high risk of getting pushed back... and that can happen pretty easily. Also, many defenses can be rushed past via tanks and APCs. This makes Glycencity less static than District. Tanks also mean that it's possible to get ground down in res, which is generally much faster and more decisive than tickets (you always need all your res and losing any puts you behind immediately, but tickets only matter when you hit 0.)

Whereas what happens in District (every time) is that whoever makes the enemy start bleeding first generally wins, and any section of the map past the bleeding flags never gets played. This makes battles shorter, but it also makes the map even more boring, because you really just focus on one tiny part of it over and over and over in a horrible grind.

Adding more tickets won't help -- what makes Glycencity work (at least, I think most people agree it's one of the better non-commander maps) is that there's always a variety of places to attack, and it never really comes down to a grind on one point. If you added more tickets on District but made the center flag a bleeder, people would just grind at the center flag even longer, and never seriously attempt to push past it.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  9. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

I would like district to be permanently replaced by Glycencity. Forever. :p

10. Empty

Empty Member

Glycencity has paper vehicles, so Aquillions statement is wrong, being in paper on an infantry map is basically making your hitbox 10 times as large.

11. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Hmm... Remove absolutely all cover from middle and give it a ticket bleed with a very fast cap?
    That way you couldn't "camp" it because you would be shoot down if you did so.

12. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Nein, bad idea.

I like the fast-cap idea, though.

Make the cover of the tanks (the two blown-up tanks on the hill of each side) less powerful for the people pushing up middle.

13. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

by "up" you mean from the center flag to the bleeder I'd assume?

If so, the NF has a major advantage atm, and i need to adjust that a tad.

either let people climb out on the ledge to shoot behind the tank like the NF currently can or something else.

Another thought is to remove ticket bleed from that third flag, and only have ticket bleed start after the second to last flag is capped.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  14. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

That's exactly what I mean, Metal Smith.

As for your thought, it makes sense. But does it go from no bleed -> severe bleed?

15. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Then the bleeder flag should end the game pretty fast.
    But bleeder flag doesn't work always or is too slow? This should be fixed.

And bleeder flag should be marked on minimap. I don't understand why many maps still have special flags without explanations.

16. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I'll do a photoshop and see if I can't write something there.

What game rating are we keeping the minimaps to?

E, T, or M?

17. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

18. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Alright. Lemme see if I can't get photoshop working again.

Something written into the mini map along the lines of "IF YOU LOSE THIS FUCKING FLAG YOU LOSE IDIOTS!"

It's difficult sometimes watching a team turtle the second to last flag, and trying to explain to them that if you don't recap the 3rd flag, you are fucked. They seem to think that the ticket bleed with stop at 0 and they'll wittle down the enemy tickets by being revive whores.

19. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

It would already help, if special flags would have a different color.
    And when there is not enough place for text on the minimap you can also place it at the faction selection screen.

20. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Yeah, but if you drop your defenses for a moment in Glycencity, an APC can loop around the center and disgorge a bunch of infantry. This doesn't happen in District -- things are much more static, and it takes a huge push to get anywhere.