Default Armor Name Voting

Discussion in 'Community Requests' started by ImSpartacus, Nov 13, 2014.

?

What should the default armor be named?

Poll closed Dec 2, 2014.
  1. Scrap

29.0%
  2. Basic

45.2%
  3. Light

9.7%
  4. Plain

48.4%
  5. Obsolete

22.6%
  6. Shitty

12.9%
  7. Cookie

19.4%
  8. Stock

35.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

You can't really research armor that is given by default, one can argue the names are different for immersion and lore.

Long as we have like a display of stats for the armors, I don't think anyone will be confused.

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

1st guy:"Dont use [BeExclusive], its sucks!"
    2nd guy:"Im using [Nf Exclusive], I didnt see [BeExclusive] in the options"
    3rd "what are differences anyway?"

Yea okay, you claim that plain is somehow confusing to understand for newbies but then claim that splitting the name into two is not.

3. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

I still think what some guy earlier in the thread said is a good idea, where we remove plain armor and basic engine and make those the defaults that are selected when you don't have an engine or an armor, and then you drag researched armors on top of it.

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

That was me. Unfortunately, that'll probably need the new GUI to work (I think - though I'm really not sure), and Spartacus wants to change the names now.

For actually no reason at all, I think. He just wants to make his mark somehow.

5. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

He made his mark by making spike come to the forums to curse him out.

6. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Ikr...

7. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

So.. 11 pages to name an armor?
    Basic armor has the most votes, name armor, close thread, gg?

8. ImSpartacus

It's looking that way, but I was going to give it a few more days. I don't anticipate that the outcome will change, but I didn't put it in this week's update, so we sorta have to wait. :3

I was a bit scatterbrained when I wrote this post, so I'll rephrase it.

The problem with the default armor is that is nearly the worst in every metric except the metric that noobs care about, weight. Weight lets you put guns on your tank. Guns are kewl. Ergo, noobs prefer light armors.

That's a problem when more than half of the armors weigh at least as much as the default armor. There's little incentive for noobs to switch.

So you need another means to convince players to not take the default armor. Renaming is one possibility. Maybe it's not very effective, but there's little downside, so you might as well try it. Another possibility is increasing the armor's weight. But you can't just increase the weight without increasing the HP, so you bring the HP up to maintain the HP/weight ratio. So that's about 60HP on 20 weight instead of the existing 40HP on 15 weight.

So you got two options.

[​IMG]

It turns out "both" ends up being the best answer.

BE is stereotypically modernly equipped, so most names that would properly communicate the default armor's inferiority are unsuitable. NF is in an opposite situation where a "shitty" name is suitable.

Likewise, NF has LTs which have effectively no penalty for using 20 weight armors over 15 weight armors. So a heavier default armor would be nearly a straight buff for them. That's not acceptable. BE has 3-plate chassis with a marked disadvantage to 20 weight armors, so there's no issue.

Therefore, it's pretty clear that you can leverage each sides' particular circumstances to deliver two separate but similar default armors that both solve the problems at hand.

9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Except you can't put on both ml and cn with mg on a fully armored 20 weight LT, do you even play this game? Because I certainly don't and I understand how to outfit tanks right.

10. ImSpartacus

You get a cannon & ML and full armor. Can't do the same on an AFV with its 3-plate max.

They don't call reactive-3phase LTs "superlights" for nothin.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I thought they called them superlights as a throw back to when they were actually super and awesome. Not like now where they're just light tanks.

Also...you surprise me, Spartacus. That you think that your newbie wants more and more weapons and thus puts on super light armour. That you think they're that n00bish to be consumed with weapon greed (even though heat limits them anyway), and that you don't think it's due to it being complicated to swap out the armour.

I've seen tons of newbies take plain because dammit plain doesn't require them to customise their tank, and they don't know how to. That's been the ultra major reason for donkeys years and I'm surprised you think it's because of weight. Weight?

12. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I think I have to agree with Ikalx here; I would say that, if anything, newbs don't go with plain because of its weight, but because they just don't know how to or don't realize that they can customize their tanks.

At the very least, I've never heard a newbie say that they use plain because it of its weight while I've certainly heard many use it 'cause they don't know how to customize a vehicle.

13. ImSpartacus

I won't pretend that this is a fix. The fix happens when the com can set (or lock) a default config for each chassis.

But many noobs do take pains to configure their vehicles with as many weapons as possible. This is especially notable on APCs. I mean, who the fuck takes a big MG and a GL? ***** pls. I lose my shit every time I see this.

The bottom line is that it really doesn't matter. Team-specific armor doesn't work elegantly and we've already got a vote going on for what was advertised as a consistent armor for both teams.

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Uhm...I do? If we're talking anti-vehicle MG anyway.

Fair enough with the naming. It just seems ultra weird your reasons for doing what you're doing. You're a dev and can do whatever you want, but if you give reasons and they don't follow any observable trend, correlation or evidence, it does appear pretty strange.

On the other hand, if we're talking like it's just a 5% effect thing you want to do to give a newbie every possible chance of picking the right armour, well I can accept that.

Weight and weapons vs HP, well, that just throws me off.

15. ImSpartacus

If there was a magic bullet, we'd already have found it. No more low hanging fruit left.

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

A magic bullet for vehicle customisation? I believe that's the GUI. Unless you mean a magic bullet for newbies, in which case there is none. Regular bullets work just fine on them ;)

17. ImSpartacus

That's not a magic bullet that can be "found". It needs to be built. At which time, I wouldn't call it "magic." It's simply designed to solve the problem.

18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

A magic bullet is a term mostly for something that will solve a whole host of problems. Whether you have to design, make or implement it does not make it less "magic". The magic comes from solving a number of problems with one solution.

The bullet is magic, but you still have to fire the gun to have it work.

19. complete_

complete_ lamer

Nope. WRONG. see above

i pointed this out earlier but of course you ignore me

20. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

So explain how getting something that has to be unlocked isn't inherently obvious to perform better. The fact that you start with an armor makes it obvious that the armor isn't that great. It's intuitive as fuck. If new players can't even handle that I'd wonder how they could handle a QWERTY keyboard or how on earth they installed Empires. It's also insanely absurd that thinking that a name change would actually affect your little hypothetical situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.