Default Armor Name Voting

Discussion in 'Community Requests' started by ImSpartacus, Nov 13, 2014.

?

What should the default armor be named?

Poll closed Dec 2, 2014.
  1. Scrap

29.0%
  2. Basic

45.2%
  3. Light

9.7%
  4. Plain

48.4%
  5. Obsolete

22.6%
  6. Shitty

12.9%
  7. Cookie

19.4%
  8. Stock

35.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yah. Those people aren't choosing Empires, because obviously if they actually had two braincells to rub together they'd at least read some of the quick start guide while the game was downloading and know it wasn't for them :p

Also, are you saying you're slanting things towards people who want to build car and steal the CV? :D

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I'm slanting my view towards the crowd that this game is attracting.

We can be idealistic and pretend that we only want people that will read elaborate guides, but the reality is that we have a different population on our servers. We have to deal with that reality and not some make up fantasy.

3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

(As far as scripts go, no objections to Candies stuff)
    >.1
    >.2
    >.3
    >.4

Really now.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

changing this might have a bigger impact on new players and maybe even attract different ones, then renaming items from plain to basic, which are synonyms anyway.

5. complete_

complete_ lamer

really cause i see rts/fps multiple times

i cant tell if its elaborate fucking around or you just selectively see what you want to see

6. flasche

admitably, if you just look at the picdurrs you can come to spartacus conclusion ...

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Blowjobs and sucking dick are also synonyms, and yet they don't always fit in the same spot every time.

But yeah fiddling with the Steam description (or Steam anything because we almost completely refuse to acknowledge ALL the Community features) could also be useful.

@thread which I totally read since my posts are strewn around it: It's not necessarily logical that a researched item is better since there's plenty of games that do sidegrades instead of upgrades. Furthermore, you sometimes join mid-game where armours are already researched and you have a couple different options available - as a newfag, you can't really tell which is best after just a quick glance, and there's already so much new information to process that instead of spending a good few minutes establishing what works best you take whatever happens to suit you and go with it. Of course if you know what's up you'll quite quickly (for you, not for vets who will shout you out of the server) figure out that plain is worse. The point here is to streamline the learning process this tiny, aesthetic bit.

But hey, if you want players to figure out shit on their own, we might as well name all the vehicle items "Armour 1-7" or however many we have, "Engine 1-6", CN/ML/MG 1-X and so forth, because hey, apparently if you don't know everything by heart, you don't give a shit.

8. complete_

complete_ lamer

all of the pictures are without the hud. how do you show the commander view without it?

can we just change armor back to plain and get some not stupid changes already. its won 13 to 12

9. ImSpartacus

Pictures & video matter a fuckload more than text.

Just look at what takes most of the space on the page. Starting at the top, you have one massive image slideshow, the game's banner (which has just tanks) and a tiny paragraph.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  10. flasche

btw, i just realized while cooking, you wanted to change names because its not descriptive enough. how are absorbant, composite or reactive descriptive for what they do in the game? and even reflective isnt the best description for an armor that actually doesnt reflect anything but just takes less damage at an angle. then comes engines and weapons. how is 3phase implying fast, why doesnt coolant cool when you move, why can you still drive with biodiesel? railgun really tells nothing about its features either, nor does extended range - you can fire std cn across each map so what extended range? its all just names ...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Absorbant absorbs damage, it can be interpreted as a damage reduction, but it's only a relative thing since it's stronger than plain - it instead absorbs some damage and reduces your heat with it.

Composite is a mix of all other armors.

Reactive does something funky, like reacting with the shots. Sounds strong.

Reflective....reflects damage. A mirror comes to my mind. After just a few hits you'll figure out it won't bounce shells back at an enemy, and eventually you'll notice you take less damage when shots come in at an angle.

3phase is 3phase, when I think of an electric thing I actually thing of a slow thing, I dunno.

Coolant implies cooling is good, but uhhh, it heats up when I drive? Amagad bug? And then I stop and it cools down fast. Ooooh.

I have no idea how a bio diesel engine would work. Actually I have no idea how any engine works really, so yeah. Maybe an engine junkie would get something from those, but an average player not really. Armors and weapons are a different thing though.

Rail guns don't actually work, but if you know what they should be doing, then you know they hurl cannon shells at enemies. Just a couple shots will tell you all you need about the ROF.

ER implies it fires farther, I don't see the problem.

But wait, there's a fallacy in what I wrote! It's okay to go check out researched stuff but not default stuff in the field? Well, yes it is, because as everyone here knows researched stuff is actually good. If you can pick up on the basics and (later on) quirks of researched items, you'll be effective right then, but default items are outclassed. And refitting at a repair pad is yet another time-consuming and confusing to the newbies thing that could perhaps wait a bit, preferably when bad things aren't happening, or you've had some time to get acquainted with the game.

12. complete_

complete_ lamer

once again, none of the screens are hud enabled images. how do you show the command view without it?

13. ImSpartacus

Make an exception and show the hud?

14. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Wasn't reactive suppose to be the counter to missiles way back when? Abs was for cannons and reactive for missiles, I think reactive just had some flat damage reduction.

15. ImSpartacus

Then it got a missile weakness, so there's that...

16. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Yes, to rpgs. When it was also made an armor with a lot of hp. I swear it used to only have something like 40-50 hp but had that damage reduction so it was a bit more than whatever else was going on. Well except compo, which was a simple hp armor too.

17. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Reactive did damage reduction to everything, that was the armor's feature. It was like 20% iirc

I'm not critiquing the change, I'm critiquing the reason you want to change it.

No don't tell spartacus, or we'll have to change all of the names.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  18. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Yea, cant wait for the "Really good anti infantry cannon" and "Damage over time missle"

19. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

The defining moment of 2014 for empires will be what the name of the default armor should be.
    Because this is serious business guise.

It's so serious that camps have been created and the political struggle between the camps prelude to shit posting or plain basic harassment.
    But fear not, the mind breaking suggestion is here.

You call it Bad Armor.
    Then adding in the description of bad armor, "Don't use this armor, research others."
    Should paint a pretty fucking picture and for whatever reason people get confused and use it...

How about we tell them to fuck off because you have to be trolling or retarded to think default armor should be used over any of the other armors.
    Especially when the description says "Don't use this armor."

Somebody suggested the name bad armor but I can't find the post.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  20. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I think you mean basic harassment.

But anyways, the vote shows a win for plain, are we done here yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.