Default Armor Name Voting

Discussion in 'Community Requests' started by ImSpartacus, Nov 13, 2014.

?

What should the default armor be named?

Poll closed Dec 2, 2014.
  1. Scrap

29.0%
  2. Basic

45.2%
  3. Light

9.7%
  4. Plain

48.4%
  5. Obsolete

22.6%
  6. Shitty

12.9%
  7. Cookie

19.4%
  8. Stock

35.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Forget my suggestion, this is better.

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

If we had the capacity to collect kind of information to perform such experiments, then I would be all over that shit. I'm dying here.

3. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Is there even any statistical information you can get out of Empires atm? Win:Loss for faction and map? How long the average match lasts? Kill death ratio with weapon x equipped? Caaaandles...

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

5. ImSpartacus

Oh, we've been there before when Candles accidentally got my hopes up after a blue sky conversation.

The problem with "simpler" stats like those that viper collects is that the data sample is so small that it will constantly get buttfucked by about half a million different things that change constantly (map usage, player composition, release changes, etc). Luckily I can deal (because awesome), but I need such granular data that is almost unreasonable to ask for.

So instead, I'll just keep guessing about literally everything. :|ove:

6. complete_

complete_ lamer

well the weapons category looks all fucked up (no nf shotgun stats and scout rifle) but it at least shows some sort of stats regarding weapons (in that smg1 is used more than 2 and gets more kills. but of course smg2 has to be nerfed)

in fact, looking at these stats, it seems like depending how you look at it, carbine and nf rifle are perfect/op. and the nf .50cal needs a buff

7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Looks like the names of the rifle and carbine are mixed up, that thing that spartacus changed should be called the carbine yet it's just called a rifle in the stats. I'm not surprised that the rifle spartacus changed is moving up comapred to the nfhr, I see more people using it then the .50 cal, which is the nfhr.

8. ImSpartacus

I just

wut

9. complete_

complete_ lamer

yeah like i said its all fucked up. but if you can make sense of it, its a good starting point for seeing

10. ImSpartacus

That's it, we're naming it squirrel armor just for McGyver.

Also, I counted nominations and threw up a poll. Vote now, fgts. We'll leave this vote up for at least a week.

Oh and if you vote for anything but cookie, you're going to get stabbed.

11. complete_

complete_ lamer

cookie armor and antique engine; the defining characteristics of spartacus' reign of terror

12. ImSpartacus

Sigged.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I think this is a bad, and worse, pointless change. At most, standard engine should probably be changed to basic or something like that, but plain armour doesn't really convey anything particularly good either.

Scrap - Bad idea unless you want to specifically name NF armour this.
    Basic - Okay idea, won't change much.
    Light - Bad idea because it could be confused with light vehicles and having "light" benefits.
    Plain - Feels vanilla. Is poor vanilla.
    Obsolete - Once again more of a Northern Faction idea, though it really steps on antique engines (which are also NF slanted).
    Cookie - All other armours are named after actual armours and given rough approximation properties of those.
    Stock - Isn't this more of a MMO term?

14. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Indeed. You wouldn't think they would call standard armor, "obsolete" armor on BE tanks.

15. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

No on shitty and no on cookie. Those are just as bad as paper, at least try to have the slightest sense of professionalism about this. There's having fun and then there's being outright retarded.

Ikalx brings up a fair point that scrap and obsolete don't work well for BE and are more of an NF thing.

Stock isn't much of an MMO term, in my experience. It just means generic or standard.

16. complete_

complete_ lamer

as long as antique engine exists, scrap is a viable option.
    other than that, basic, plain, and stock are my votes. light is confusing and obsolete just sounds bad (if that makes sense? long and hard to spell for others)

and i know you are all too afraid to congratulate me on my post because of the risk of an infraction and i want you to know i understand

17. ImSpartacus

You guys are like super into roleplaying. Suspend yo reality.

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

obsolete makes no sense at all. as long as no other armor is researched it is not obsolete.

19. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

There's two things that form the basis of most of the stuff in this game (at least the way I've seen it). The first is Krenzo's actual knowledge of the military and technologies. This is why most of the armours are based on real armours and not just made up randomness. This is why they actually have, or at least had the properties of those real life armours to begin with.

The second part is the lore that was built to support the framework of the game. It's clear that lore isn't exactly a major thing with Empires, but despite that it touches every design decision in the game. It's actually quite prevalent, and remarkably - even though the factions are quite stereotypical at times (voice, mainly), it manages to give people an actual sense of the different sides, and an affinity for them. That's actually quite a hard thing to do, and yet the game pulls it off pretty well.

Long story short, you choose the first way, or the second, or you're really just compromising (imo) the vision of the game. If you want to name things like "antique" and "scrap", I would say rename them differently for both teams - keeping within the lore. Default engines and armours are the only ones that aren't researched, so I think it's actually fine if you rename them. Heck, you could even looking into changing their values slightly to fit the vehicles.

Hmm. You know I haven't actually seen the term used in many places that weren't either shops or games. And the former infrequently. Stock used to mean "what we have" to me, but that's only from the phrase "we have it in stock" or "this is all we have in stock". Which is kind of sideways from what I thought we wanted to use.

Does anyone have any examples of 'stock' being used like this irl? Or is it more a phrase that's become a term meaning generic?

20. ImSpartacus

"Stock" means something like "generic" when used as an adjective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.