Default Armor Name Voting

Discussion in 'Community Requests' started by ImSpartacus, Nov 13, 2014.

?

What should the default armor be named?

Poll closed Dec 2, 2014.
  1. Scrap

29.0%
  2. Basic

45.2%
  3. Light

9.7%
  4. Plain

48.4%
  5. Obsolete

22.6%
  6. Shitty

12.9%
  7. Cookie

19.4%
  8. Stock

35.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I'm just speculating at this point, but I think people want to "think" a lot less than you are giving them credit for.

Look at composite armor. It's barely better than all of the other armors on average (rarely worth its cost), but it's one of the most popular armors because people simply don't want to have to decide what the best armor is for a given situation. People don't want to "think" about that.

I wouldn't surprised if some players would inherently expect researched armors to sidegrades to the default armor. Do I know that? Of course not - we don't collect data on configuration of tanks. None of know for sure.

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Why do you people even complain about this? The change has little effect on you, but it might help newbies and requires minimal effort. I don't see why this is a point of argument.

3. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Silence! We need to discuss this for an additional 13 pages until no progress have been made.

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Maybe you should read the thread then

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

I should, but I'm lazy

6. ImSpartacus

To be honest, I'm basically saying the same thing.

So far, I recall reading a lot of, "erma gerd, why do you need to change those names? Gosh..." and all the while, I'm basically thinking what ddd just posted.

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I got another idea, why don't we just take out the whole control schemes, take out barracks and the infantry game. Everyone spawns in tanks from VFs, take out res nodes because everything is free, take out research because all tanks come out indestructible with infinite power. Then just have only one input and bind it to space bar, all the input does is spawn at a random vf and then you just watch your indestructible tank of infinite power battle with other indestructible tanks of infinite power. No thought required at all, easiest game, impossible to lose because the game never really ends, everything. Then later you can go and try to eat through your shower wall because that is an action which requires no thought as well.

If someone wants to know what armor is bad and what armor is good, they play the game, they learn, they think. There's nothing wrong with thinking, if players can't think they shouldn't be playing video games, they should be in school, or cooking a meal, or reading a book, etc.

edit: btw I'm just pointing out your flawed logic brah

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  8. D.D.D. Destroyer

But why not make the thinking this tad little bit easier.

9. ImSpartacus

Like most situations in life, there's always a middle ground between your slippery slope and just being a terrible communicator. Generally somewhere in that middle ground is the "best" place to be.

So it comes down to what do you have to give up to get closer to that ideal point? In my opinion, a 100% aesthetic name change "costs" me next to nothing for even the tiny benefit that it might have.

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

because if you design a game for monkeys, you get monkeys.

empires GUI isnt ideal and a bunch of stuff is hidden away from all sight, but the game isnt that hard to grasp - contrary to popular believe. majority of RTS games out there are more complex then empires is, was and ever will be. there is choice, but only a glimpse of it, in the end you can only take what is researched anyway. even for comms, you have to do all that in RTS aswell, but ontop of it you also micro your units. empires being complicated and super complex is just a state of mind, its not (or maybe for the averate FPS-only player, but only just a tiny bit really)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  11. ImSpartacus

Elitism aside, I'll take "monkeys" if it means I don't have to troll my friends list to populate servers.

12. flasche

empires simply has gotten old, thats all. you notice the games quality by the fact that after roughly 8 years it still has an active community, theres more then enough AAA titles that never make it pass that age (also due to the fact that there would have been 10 sequels and 50 DLCs). you wont get a lot of new players with blurry textures and blocky models, its almost 2015 ...

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

And yet newbies keep joining servers~

14. flasche

well its free to play, thats probably why. we once had 2 full 64p servers during the week.

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Spartacus is making this change for people who don't think at all, your thinking doesn't change with a name, no matter what they still won't think. The game should be tailored to those who give a shit about it, not monkeys who'll drop it anyway cause all they want to do is drive cars.

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

I see a difference between giving a shit about a game and trying to outfit your thing for the first time ever, but hey, maybe I just like monkeys and careless people.

17. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

So basic and plain are tied at #1, could you dear balancer of things choose one, so we can move on to slightly more important discussions.

18. complete_

complete_ lamer

wow cool destroyer makes a post without reading a topic which spartacus can latch onto it and pretend like its majority opinion when its actually 1 out of every 15 people

e: lol the poll. just change it back to plain

19. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Firstly, players choose Empires because it's complicated. It's not a game you can just fall into for easy play. Anyone who even remotely pretends that as an argument is being ridiculous, and they know it.

Secondly, renaming something from "Plain" to "Basic" will not change anything or bring more monkeys to the game. But if it did bring monkeys, bear in mind that we've had a bunch of very craptastic people in this community who have actively done a lot of harm to the game, so be careful what you wish for.

Lastly, plain to basic makes next to no difference, though basic has more connotations of 'lesser' than plain. Either is perfectly fine, it's just that people are used to saying plain. And it's one syllable :p

20. ImSpartacus

Let's be clear, we're doing whatever the community votes to do. I've made my personal stance clear, but this thread wouldn't exist if I was going to do whatever I personally wanted.

This question can rarely be asked in a way that isn't disrespectful, but I must ask: Do you even pub?

The absolute number 1 question I get from 100% noobs is "how do I build car?"

Why are we surprised that people steal the CV? At the beginning of the game, it's the only vehicle around.

Has anyone actually looked at the steam page for Empires? It's vehicles, vehicles and more vehicles.

We're not advertising an elaborate RTS-FPS hybrid. We're advertising a vehicle PVP game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.