Current, Future, and Eventual state of script_manifest

Discussion in 'Dev Blogs' started by soundspawn, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Empty

Empty Member

Have you actually done any coding yet spawwn?
    Or have you just sat around derailing the few good suggestions and vetoing new ideas.

2. OuNin

OuNin Member

I don't see the point in announcing the feature if you knew it would be like this.

3. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Enough with the trolling and the hate. This is the current decision, and we've explained it in detail to everyone why. The only alternative was you discovering it after release.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Also, I would like to make one point.

You're saying it's not completely coded, and thus will be left, but instead you're wasting time coding some far less important balancer? I see your logic.

5. Empty

Empty Member

There's only one thing to do now.

Add ridiculous falloff to everything.

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Well, that and we're limited to what we're currently doing with the scripts, using discrete values only.

IDK, there is a way for the server to overwrite client files, but it's really dodgy and not something any server should resort to. But script-manifest stuff is still possible via that in theory. No reason the big servers couldn't technically agree to that, it'd just mean clients have to download everything from the servers to overwrite the old stuff, every time they change server. It's a shitty option but it would work.

7. Empty

Empty Member

Makes sense I spose.
    I'm a bit sick of the attempts to control how we change and alter the mod.

2.24 is a sack of shit, it's not fun, it's painful to play, and you're denyng people tools to help contribute so new versions are better or to improve the game without developer intervention.

Smewth.

8. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Beerdude26, soundspawn:
    What is now the plan to solve all the balance issues?

2.25 (or name it 2.3) can be a features release, where balance isn't changed.

But then in my opinion best way would be to have some small releases with only balance changes (maybe every month).

Nobody can balance things perfectly by only looking on the pure numbers. You have to see it ingame for a while to decide if it's good or not.

Therefore some new scripters in the development team would helpful. This should be people, who are playing this game nearly every day.

9. Zeke

Zeke Banned

So lemme get this straight... you guys failed to do the following:

(1) Having a CURRENT script set (the one being used)
    (2) a BACKUP of ur own scripts (stored in a folder)
    (3) make servers send their own scripts (stored in a new server-specific folder)
    make (3) overwrite (1) if you join a server and let hosters pick from (2) or any of the (3)'s...

THIS WAS TOO HARD?

seriously?

the only logical explanation i can see is what empty said on the first page... that you are infact against it and therefor dont move a muscle to fix it.

i cant say my expectations for the dev team was high before, but right now the expectations i have just created a deep hole in the floor.

edit: this reminds me of my comment about you wasting time on the balancer instead of doing important coding we actually care about in that other thread... -.-'

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Stop whining and be happy that 2.25 is coming at all.

11. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Member

But whining does everything for everyone!

12. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Soundspawwn suggested to bring more scripters onto the team that could help balance the mod. Obviously, there seem to be many people interested in doing this, so I'm hoping some of them will step forward. Blizzerd already seems intrigued :)

For 2.25, I'll probably just use Trickster's modified 2.24d scripts, with perhaps a few more changes, but I'm not sure of that.

The rest of the feature set 2.25 will be more particle support, bug fixes, and some small feature modifications. Oh, and that "recycle carcasses" thingy I programmed. It'll be interesting to see what that does.

13. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Many people like to help to increase the balance (including me ;) ). But there will be also many opinions about the right way.

So in my opinion we need more organization for this. Main point will be a lead scripter, who collects the ideas and documents the changes. He should also organize SVN test sessions and maybe organize test sessions on the main servers with server side scripts.
    But most important is to listen to the community and not to try to change to whole game at once.

Any idea to find a lead scripter? Maybe we could make an election?

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

DONT LET BLIZZERD TOUCH THE SMGS!!! :p

15. Deiform

Deiform Member

The whole point in the script manifest was that the dev team didn't need to focus on balancing...

As a developer team, shouldn't you be creating tools to allow the community to add their own content/overhauls/additions to classes, vehicles, sounds, particles?

Or am I taking a wild stab in the dark and going with that you'd like to control the community. Previous developers tried to unlock this mod to help you, and instead you think that it's better to lock everything back up and do everything yourself. Nice logic.

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

why not?

id say what i did harvested more praise then shunning, and people who have played this game for very long times agreed with my mentality to change them in the way i did

if you really oppose my ideas so much my challenge still stands open for you to do a better job

17. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

What is it about the script manifest that brings out such irrationality in people?
    Why is it that I feel that the people who actualy read Spawwn's post are in the minority?

18. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

But the dev team that worked on script manifest were leaving for their own mods. Now we have an active dev team again so we have devs again to fix things.

No, actually. modability is never considered a job of a development. Modability for a game/mod is a luxury.

You're logic is nice as well. The developers never unlocked anything until they felt the project grew stale, and instead of fixing the problems themselves, left it up to the community. I'm not saying that's a wrong or bad decision to make, but now we have a dev who wants to develop more into scripts.

Deiform, I understand your concerns, however you need to understand that more code is going into scripts to add functionality, and change core mechanics of the scripts. I agree that it would be nice to develop 3rd party scripts for the mod, however I also want to see the added features to scripts so the scripts themselves allow for more customization. Currently, the scripts are pretty limited, especially vehicle grenade launcher.

Technically, the balancer was already done and working before spawn was even on the dev team. Currently, he's just fixing/updating the problems with it because it turned out that it was an exploitive mess. It's easier fixing something small, than writing something from scratch. The script manifest was by no means "complete" so there was plenty code left still, and plenty of testing.

You are in favor of removing commander targets. I think you're idea of "good suggestions" is a bit skewed. : /

Let me put it into a context that might make sense.

Script_manifest is an engineer that I want to be a scout, and he not only spawns backwards when I want him to, but also stays and engineer.
    Script_manifest is something some people wanted, and because it was taken away for the time being, they are angry. It's understandable, but eventually things should cool down.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  19. arklansman

arklansman Member

I thought that was my job. :3

20. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

You're right, the devs have no obligation to make anything open and/or changeable to the community. However, making your work modable by others is the foundation of modding. If the people at Valve had the same thoughts, many of my favorite mods that I play everyday would not exist (or at least not exist in the same way). Its just disappointing to see a mod team forgo items that would make their game more open to community content.

That's why although I understand the decision, I disagree with it. Stuff like the script manifest are positive-sum because when you allow people to add their own content to a game, they become more invested in it and are more likely to stay. It also releases the creativity of community members who love the mod, but may not be able to contribute via coding, mapping, modeling, etc. I'd suspect people would find some extremely fun and balanced gameplay designs that none of us have considered.