Concept: NF Tank Destroyer

Discussion in 'Art' started by VulcanStorm, May 29, 2016.

1. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

More pictures!
    So I lengthened the tracks by 3 units, and added some cogs to the back, like the other NF tanks have. Now it looks much better I think.
    [​IMG]
    I still haven't changed the width. So I think has similar dimensions to a BE heavy... Which means it may handle nicely :)

Thoughts?

edit: sorry for the crap resolution, blame my laptop gpu

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  2. Ranger

Ranger Member

[​IMG]

red: tracks
    yellow: main chassis
    blue: hatch

I like the idea of it being more like a track this is why I drew the tracks so short. maybe the analogy is wrong. need to see some BE tracks idk. but I like that style more

Attached Files:

3. VulcanStorm

[​IMG]
    @Ranger
    That was the style I was thinking for BE. Something like this. Which i hope fits the bill as to what you're after?

NF has a very unique style... And I'm trying not to diverge too far from it.

4. Ranger

Ranger Member

Yes I know about BE TD. I meant like, maybe I drew NF tracks too low to the ground.

I know that NFhas a unique ww1 style but also remember they supposedly have makeshift tanks. The tracks of the panzerjager in the pic are "inside the tank", cant explain well sorry. Like, integrated. Your TD has protruding tracks that also work as armour on the side and even have a hatch. So I was thinking that if you lowered them, you would have light unprotected tracks and the hatch could go directly on the gun tower

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

what weapons do TDs use?

6. VulcanStorm

True, it could... The hatch was there because it wouldn't fit anywhere else. My only concern is that the tanks may end up too similar. And I'm really trying to keep the NF feel here. NF was more comical, whereas BE was more real world.

Big Cannons. Big badass cannons... :P

7. Ranger

Ranger Member

I think external tracks are comical. HAHA I lol evriteim.
    anyway
    If you want it to be different you could start by not making the tank like that. You can put the tower in the middle or in front and make it something like this:

[​IMG]

This is a site I casually found on the interwebs a few hours ago http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/ww2-tank-destroyers.asp

Just google Russian tank destroyers and you can combine NF track style with better looks

Don't get me wrong, I like the bulkiness of the current model. I just don't like the tracks like that. It's a small tank, tracks would do.

8. flasche

but what big weapons? will it be a completely seperate weapon/slot types like arty?

9. VulcanStorm

That is up for community debate, and ultimately dev support. But i was envisioning a 4 or 5 slot cannon.

@Ranger You think Russian tank destroyers would better suit NF ? Interesting...
    The only thing is... Most tank destroyers look ugly to me...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  10. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Very nice, I think this is the right direction. I do think the turret should be seperately turnable though; it doesn't make sense to design it to really be completely fixed. The angles are locked to a certain range because of the square sides of the turret and the high tracks.

11. VulcanStorm

I had the turret separate originally. But the tank destroyer was decided to only fire in a forwards arc, with minor barrel movements. I think its +-15 degrees yaw, and +- 10 degrees pitch. Would anyone else like it to have a turnable turret?

12. Ranger

Ranger Member

It shouldn't have a turnable turrets or it would be just any other tank and it would be able to fight AFVs etc. On the other hand it's extremely hard to aim with artillery at a long range, because it turns many degrees with every press of the left and right arrow.

I don't know how many degrees the pitch should be, but the yaw could have 10 more I think.

Also yes, I think many regard Jekotians as the SOVIET comrades!

13. VulcanStorm

So far 10 degrees down is the maximum, otherwise it starts intersecting with the model. And if I lower the front tracks a bit, then we can get a larger arc of fire.

Also, the NF tanks are closer to british ww1 tanks than soviet tanks

14. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I like the full broadside tracks, and the armor plates on the front are a great idea and will likely be it's aesthetic signature not to mention subtly hinting at it's intended use.
    Don't forget that you can use shitloads of polies for stuff like the front bullbar, and then bake them to a low poly version for better detail.

15. VulcanStorm

Yay! someone likes the tracks!

What do you mean by bake to a low poly version to preserve detail? I've always modelled in low poly...

16. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

No dev support required to add in weapons that go past 3 slots. What could be done if you didn't want the tank destroyer to use the regular cannons is to make its weapons really low weight, like 10. So the tank destroyer would be forced to remove almost all of its armor to put on a normal cannon, or arty cannon. As far as I know there isn't any difference between arty cannons and regular cannons, except I think the physical shell is bigger.

As an aside don't make the chassis too long compared to it's width, it'll make it harder to have decent handling on it. Not like it's going to go real fast anyway I wouldn't think, but it being able to turn when you want it to would be nice. Looks alright so far, it's not like there's a lot of detail to really make a comment.

17. VulcanStorm

That's an interesting thought...

Here is the stats discussion thread for tank destroyers in general.
    https://forums.empiresmod.com/index.php?threads/tank-destroyer-stats-features.20252/

18. flasche

isnt arty a special slot type?

19. Ranger

Ranger Member

I know dem English ww1 tanks, I did not mean NF tanks look like Russian tanks but them being Northern faction having a weird accent is a hint.

20. VulcanStorm

True... Although NF does have a strong wh40k feel to its current vehicles.
    Yes, I believe it is.