Concept: NF Tank Destroyer

Discussion in 'Art' started by VulcanStorm, May 29, 2016.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Arty is a special slot type, but there's no reason the tank destroyer couldn't use it.

2. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

Then it would get access to all the current artillery cannons... And I don't think that would be beneficial... they're strong enough as it is... And the vehicle is not supposed to be good vs buildings or infantry.

3. Lazybum

Reread what I said about making weapons really light, no one would actually get it if they couldn't have any armor. Of course I think arty's would need a small bump in weight, but it would work fine, trust me on this.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

thats going to look like a bandaid. its not like adding a slot is going to be ... well its empires who knows how much work its going to be :P

5. VulcanStorm

I agree with this. It really needs its own slot size. To emphasise that it is a different vehicle designed with different weapons for a different purpose.

6. Lazybum

It's not an issue of slot size, it's an issue of using weapons you don't want it to use. Abusing weight in conjunction with the slot system is currently the only way to do that. It's either have a slightly hacky way like that or give it a unique slot type.

If some sees they can shove he cannon on there they will, simple as that.

7. VulcanStorm

Isnt it possible just to limit it to 1 weapon in the slot, like with other tanks? Then you'd have to choose which cannon.

8. Lazybum

Yes? And that doesn't stop people from putting any cannon they want on it. If it's a 4 or 5 slot cannon it means it can put any of the lower tier cannons on as well, that's how it works.

9. Ranger

Ranger Member

We should move the discussion to the other thread.

10. VulcanStorm

True... It wouldn't limit it to only 1 weapon. But hey, choice is good right?... If you don't use the TD cannon, then your tank is only as effective as a standard heavy with 1 cannon. So you might aswell use one of those instead.

11. Lazybum

I think you underestimate new players. Things like this is what will cause tank destroyer to be like arty, the fastest way to lose a game.

flasche likes this.
  12. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Starting to loo
    Heavy Armor piercing rounds meant to go basically through the enemy tank. So, in this case, itd deal no damage to plates but deal damage straight to the hull. Damage may vary, but it should take out a heavy fairly quick if under direct fire, making infantry useful once again to counter TD's so Tanks can push up. Itll be more a combined arms game rather than tank spam is my thought.

13. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Arty =/= TD.

TD will be able to deal with a heavy "easily" while an arty tank cant even combat a tank. Most new players find themselves combating tanks with an arty and that does NOT work, however, new players in a TD will be able to combat a heavy with their tank making them actually useful.

14. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

if you make the bullbars out of rectangular blocks then give them a subsurf modifier they'll look more like round pipes. You can tweak the modifier by using the crease weight on specific edges to make them completely square or just chamfered. Then you can use blender's baking process to take that high poly roundness and convert it to a Normal map applied to your current simple square bullbar.

15. Lazybum

You missed the rest of the conversation where he was saying it was ok if tank destroyer could equip he cannon, to which I say players will put it on if it's an option. Then it is arty because there is no way you are winning a fight against a heavy with one he cannon.

16. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Right, my bad I missed that.

17. Ranger

Ranger Member

Arties can easily kill heavies tho, especially if they are nubs.

I would like to see the 203mm cannon on a TD thx.

EDIT: IT'S OP I KNOW

18. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Might be OP, but its not the most ideal weapon for a TD as the TD should have a unique weapon. Also, I haven't seen a 203 kill heavies yet... Ive seen it kill AFV's and Lights, but not heavies.

19. Ranger

Ranger Member

I kill 2 tank on average in tank combat with the 203mm. Vulcanstorm witnessed last time. I used to do that with double arty. tbh only works against NF because they have biggger taller slower tanks.

20. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Please keep the discussion to the actual concept and anything gameplay/mechanics related to the other thread. Otherwise I will have to move the whole thing over.