Community promo video idea

Discussion in 'General' started by cpugeek, May 20, 2006.

1. SGT. MIKE

SGT. MIKE <blink>BANNED</blink>

ill shoot people in the video, also we should have like a whole server of people danceing to techno at the begaining of the movie and if anyone wants to use it i have a video of me crapping in front of like 87 people so if you want it ask hah

2. Gladz0r

Gladz0r Member

I also think the empires mod need some more publicity!
    My idea:
    -Make some ingame pictures from the interface, the battles, the research tree, ... and then put it on a new site called Empires media (not the media on the website of empires).
    -Make a little storryline
    -Then search for HL2 websites, clans, gamewebsites,... and post the URL

Hope this will work, the mod is really cool but I think many people don't know the mod yet!

3. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Gladzor, thats not the point of this video, the only thing geek and myself want in this video is action to show everyone that we've fixed the issues that plagued the first release and show of the new features and maps.

As for story line thats the too obvious purpose of the "Storyline and Atmosphere" section of the forums.

And lastly I don't see the point of wasting 10 bucks not including the hosting which costs 50 bucks monthly minimum On a site for media . Unless you want to pay for it of course :p

4. Gladz0r

Gladz0r Member

Okay just update the media page then :P
    My point was, Empires need more media attention and since i didn't want to make a new topic i posted it here.

5. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Angry, I am working on getting adequate programs to film with, to get you some footage. I also have Sony Vegas and Adobe Premier, and i pwn noobs at video editing :) BTW people, you do not need to download a converter to convert movies, if you have video editing software like Sony Vegas. Just open up the movie, and click save as. That's what I always do, and I usually can compress a gig of video from fraps to like 75 megs. I will compress with Divx most likely though, to preserve quality.

6. boub

boub Member

Divx or now, the H264 codec is the best quality/compress ( H264 > Dvdrip ) but, it's very difficult setup.

7. Doobie

Doobie Ancient Tester

If anyone needs a "copy" of a video recording program that sounds like "craps" let me know. But i didn't "say" anything ;)

8. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

yes, we need more media. I don't understand how one of the best and most developed mods on the net is so unpopular at the moment. or at least, why it only has a constant base of people of about 500.

10. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Try more like 300 somewhere around there, but yeah I know what your saying.

11. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

I've got some great shots, I figured to help my Fps (even though my computer doesn't really suck) I would record at 60 Fps. So, when I was playing it got a little drop, but the playback is relatively smooth. They are mostly comm, though, because that's what I do most games. Who should I PM?

12. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

go ahead and pm angry

13. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Yes, please do

14. boub

boub Member

You have a problem of FPS, you register(record) with FRAPS?

I can give you an advice(council), in the options of FRAPS, put the recording on the maximum of FPS which you can. Normally the game will be more fluid.

When you will have movies, you will have to to the assembly put back a normal value about 29 images/s.

15. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

I know, I record at a higher Fps so that playback will be smoother. The problem is the internet SUCKS! Only 2 of my files exceed 250 mb, (the total for all is like around 2 gigs) so I tried to upload the files uncompressed (because I hate low-quality videos, and I treat other like I want to be treated :D) to places like www.filewire.com. They offer uploading of up to 250 mb per file, so I could upload all but 2 and just compress the last 2. That didn't work/seemed like it didn't, so that stopped. I also tried FileFront, FileCloud, and other services like Mozy (www.mozy.com) or ElephantDrive that backup files onto the internet. They either didn't work, or took so long that if I were upload all of the footage I would need to leave my computer on for 2 days straight. Family computer.

I tried then to do the smart thing and compress the videos to a RAR or Zip, and Winrar only shaved off .4 of a gigabite; Windows Zip utility was just adding them to zip and not compressing. I tried then to use the latest version of Divx to compress them, and Divx said the video stream was bad. They play perfectly fine in Windows Media Player, using the FRAPS video codec. I then tried to convert using Sony Vegas, by adding the clip to a movie, and then just rendering the video. But when I added in the file, the footage wouldn't play in preview and was completely scrambled. Meaning, that Sony Vegas (or at least my version) doesn't support the FRAPS codec.

I'm in a bust. If someone could PM me their email, I could try and use YouSendIt, one of the best file-sharing tools on the internet. And before I get any 'ur internets leik ghey' I have Verizon FiOS, fiber-optic, and faster then anything the accuser probably has.

16. boub

boub Member

You work on the computer where you play at empiresmod ? For what you want upload ? :confused:

17. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

I'm sorry boub, but I can't really understand your post X.X

If you are confused about my post, I think what you wanted to know is our computer is used by everyone in my family, and although it's pretty good, I cannot leave it on all the time/sometimes when I'm doing something like a virus scan or uploading something people just log me off. And no, buying a new computer for myself is not an option.

EDIT: Ok, I am the biggest noob in the world. I remembered about
    VIRTUAL DUB!
    I now can compres in Xvid Mpeg 4, DivX 6.22, or some other default codec that is appropriate. I filmed some more, with the help of the admins of Stormed.de, and I now have over 12 Gigs of footage! I used mostly spectator view in the new clips, doing some fly bys, sky views (top-down), and a sort of over-the-shoulder view. I only used the spectator commands for follow on like 2 or 3 clips, because I like fly-bys more.

The question is, what codec should I use to compress? I compressed using Xvid and the playback was perfectly smooth and nice looking with a normal resoultion of 1024x768 (Not doubled or anything, I actually filmed at that size).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  18. boub

boub Member

ok I understood what you wanted to say. I am sorry, my English is really bad but I try to express myself at best, even if the barrier of the vocabulary prevents me from saying all that I know exactly.

19. boub

boub Member

To have a better quality, you have to make everything in two pass. Then as I said some much less known codecs recent it is of an extraordinary quality as the codec Divx HE-3 or my preferred a H.264.

H.264 is very length in the encoding, but give a quality that I find better than normal Dvd. Everything seems much more net. For you give an idea, I saw a movie of quake with many effects, for a 300 Mb weight, we have a film of 30 minutes!

In comparison a video classic .wmv in VBR trés good 300 Mb quality also, we have to turn in approximately 9 minutes.

20. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Ok well I went in and did a like 56-video list in V-Dub's job control, ready to start it up and come back to it later, and I got errors on every single one.

APPRENTLY, boub didn't mention that in order to make a two-pass video you need 2 seperate jobs for each video, and it's kind of complicated. 1 job for each pass. I just wasted the last hour. I'm probably not going to have these videos converted and uploaded for a while. What I suggest guys, is I make a second Promo video, because I have plenty of footage, the right tools, and the ability. It would cause a lot of problems to find a way to get them to you guys. Unless you have some suggestions?