Community promo video idea

Discussion in 'General' started by cpugeek, May 20, 2006.

1. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

Lets face it, the Empires mod needs more publicity. I was thinking of ways to do this, and i came up with an idea for a community-made video. I think that many people got the wrong impression the first time they tried Empires and that we should show them how much better it has gotten.

Unfortunately, i have no idea how to make a good video and my computer sucks so i can't take footage. I would like to organize this, though. Would anyone have interest in helping? We'd need people with fast computers to take footage and someone who knows how to make a good video out of them.

*Update*
    Ok, Angry has said that he will put together the video. Now what we need is footage. I want authentic pub game footage for this video, that way we can say that this how it is. Anyone can contribute footage. Unfortunately, due to how large video files tend to get, you have to find hosting yourself for your footage.

Heres what we need:

Spectator footage (lots of cool stuff)
    Commander footage
    Foot soldier footage (any class)
    Vehicle footage

Now, of course only the best footage will be used, but try to find it in real games instead of making it yourself in a priv server.

When you're taking footage wear the [CommVid] tag so that people know theres somone recording them.

Once you have some footage uploaded, either send Angry a pm or send me a pm and i'll forward it to him.

Edit: When you upload footage, convert it to .mpg first to save space.

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  2. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

I know how to do this.

We get people to take demos (do they work in empires?), and they send them to someone with a good pc. They can then use the command 'startmovie moviename 30', and it will dump loads of screenshots in their root folder. They can then be combined using some video software.

3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

i dont think demos work, but id gladly help.

4. Angry

Angry Junior Member

No, they do not.

use FRAPS

5. Jn.

Jn. Member

Fraps pwns.

6. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

fraps pwns your fps.

EDIT: ANd empires plays fairly awfully even on high end computers.

7. Jn.

Jn. Member

Wait, does demos not working mean you can't make one entirely, or does it mean you can't send it to people? Because all you have to do with fraps is record off the demo you make. Recording in game is just stupid. I've never heard of anyone doing it.

8. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Demos don't work. As far as I can tell, it's a problem with the engine code.

9. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

hell as soon as i seen the 1st add on phl i was going to download the mod regardless of bugs or not , i think what it is , is that nobody knows yet , they still see mods like ctf and go ... "thats not a damn mod" or they see lame mod [flame me please] like distopia .. i mean come on its a wanta be shadow run copy they even have f*n sounds from the genesis console shadowrun .... has anybody seen my soapbox ?

10. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

Ok, Angry has said that he will put together the video. Now what we need is footage. I want authentic pub game footage for this video, that way we can say that this how it is. Anyone can contribute footage. Unfortunately, due to how large video files tend to get, you have to find hosting yourself for your footage.

Heres what we need:

Spectator footage (lots of cool stuff)
    Commander footage
    Foot soldier footage (any class)
    Vehicle footage

Now, of course only the best footage will be used, but try to find it in real games instead of making it yourself in a priv server.

When you're taking footage wear the [CommVid] tag so that people know theres somone recording them.

Once you have some footage uploaded, either send Angry a pm or send me a pm and i'll forward it to him.

11. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

How do you propose to upload it. Last time I checked the footage from fraps is insanely large de to it's raw format.

Convert it first or just upload the gig of 5 minute footage?

12. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Make it .mpg

13. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

actually around 1 and a half minute would be a gig if im correct

14. Sebybeby

Sebybeby Member

convert it to using the h264 compressor.
    You can do this with say after effects, premiere, combustion etc. you can down load the trial version from www.adobe.com

15. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

I tried FRAPS, but it doesn't record sound. The FPS is also very low and every half minutes the game almost freezes, while I'm recording. Also FRAPS free version can only record 30secs...

16. Jn.

Jn. Member

You should only use fraps when demos work.

17. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

And when demos don't work, how is anybody supposed to get any (quality) footage from Empires, at all?

18. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

I got some, unfortunately it also got the Dragonforce playing in the background, so that'll have to go :(

19. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

upload it anyway, i don't think we're gonna have game sounds in there anyway since theres still a bunch of placeholders from hl2

20. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Too late, sorry.
    I've got some newer ones though, what sort of filesize are you looking for?
    Also, I've started making my own one, it'll be about 4 mins long. I'll post it here when I'm done :P