Cheap Tactics

Discussion in 'Archive' started by MomoZMonster, Nov 8, 2007.

1. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

I keep seeing posts about "cheap tactics" and not using them for some time after the release so to not scare the noobs away.

I would think it would be beneficial for the games longevity that we "private testers" explain just what these cheap tactics are and see if there would be a workable solution to them. There will be "noobs" for the next year or so.
    Saying to not do something for a week is just silly.

Remember if you hold something back and in a years time I'm sitting here playing with the same 40 people all the time I will personally blame you. And aid the devs in punching your stomach until you die. :mad:

Not that I don't love to hate or hate to love you all but WWJD? Better yet WWKD?

2. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Some LAME BUT LEGITIMATE tactics:

-Spawn Camping
    -Repairing Jeep while in it
    -RPG Sniping from across the map
    -Mining barracks and VFs
    -Driving into the enemy VF
    -APC rushes

3. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

-Jeep Sticky CV rush

i dont think the jeep repair is legitimate, i think it's a bug. Treat it as such; probably already in the process of doing so.

Spawn camping is NEVER cool on conquest maps, but usually you can spawn somewhere else, and noobs will learn this quickly. On classic maps, it's part of the game and anyway, usually avoidable until the very end.

APC rushes are only cheap because they need balancing. The gren launcher thread comes to mind.

I'm with momo; these need to be addressed and eliminated, NOT avoided for a week. But as for the rest, I don't see a way to eliminate them without harming overall gameplay (too many restrictions.)

4. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Every strategy that is useful will be called "cheap". But some of them were really to good to win the game (CV mining). So:

-spawn camping - fixed
    -repairing jeep - no idea :)
    -rpg sniping -fixed
    -mining - fine
    -driving into enemy VF - fine
    -apc rushes -absolutely fucking fine (nerfed 10 times)
    So no need to list them here.

5. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

The latter three are completely fine tactics in my book.

6. Andronicus

Andronicus Member

Agreed. If its possible in RL i have no problem with it being in the game.

7. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

- Having Bob the Builder on your team

Driving into the vf should be fixed I think

8. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Driving in the VF is a pretty decent tactic tbh. Unless it's an APC, the vehicle is a sitting duck. And even if it's an APC, that has been nerfed so much it'll go down with a few mortar shots.

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

other than that I expect most people won't mind anything really. i've learned that if you stick two ML's in front of your VF then you never get problems with people driving into it.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  10. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Yeah those are all legitimate tactics

11. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

We're not talking about legitimate tactics. We're talking about cheap tactics. Look at the game from the perspective of a person who has just started playing. Someone who doesn't know the ins and outs and all the dirty little tricks.

Then imagine how not fun it would be to be mined several times on their first go, having not even left the barracks yet. Not being able to play with the vehicles - a major selling point of this mod - because someone has parked their vehicle in the spawn zone. And then having the game end within the next 5 or 10 minutes because the enemy brought along three APCS and now have all these veteran players spawning in their base and tearing it apart.

We want to make new players feel like they can just jump in and play along, not completely wipe the floor with them so they don't get to enjoy what the game really has to offer and go bugger off back to zombie master or something.

12. The Buttery Lobster

i'm with dee on that. It wouldn't be possible, though, to make some sort of entity that blocked enemies from your team's rax, or their tanks from your vf, though, would it?

13. tkeracer619

tkeracer619 Member

I think we should all just use common sense in the first week. Like Dee said, mopping the floor with them is not good. Keep them entertained but don't stack teams and then press the easy button.

14. ^Dee^

Doesn't need it. Just need people to let newbies actually play and enjoy the game instead of ending every map in the first 10 minutes :P

15. Squid_AT1

Squid_AT1 Anchors Aweigh My Boys, Anchors Aweigh!

I disagree. The game is designed for teams not for individual players. No one will be able to just jump into this game and just play along without some training. To play this Mod properly it takes time. Most noobs will not be COMMs and if the the Comm does not prepare for an APC rush or a Gren in the RAX then the match is doomed.
    Are we going to keep nerfing the game until the Mod stops being challenging for veteran players?
    So you get an APC in the VF, it gets killed with a couple of rockets and you wait for it to recycle. Thats what you get for allowing it to just drive in.

16. ^Dee^

Nobody is talking about nerf. We're talking about letting new players actually want to play.

Unless you're content with just one game a week, two if you're lucky?

17. The Buttery Lobster

i hardly think preventing enemies from entering your spawn is a huge nerf-- with the BE rax, one can just hide in the buttressing along the side, with the NF, one can still fire into it. With both, a gren can just place mines at the entrance to trap enemies, or along the side and deal full/near full damage. Same with the VFs, although i think driving into the vf is less of an issue.

18. Melee

Melee Member

1. Nothing personal but - suiciding CV to change map = lame and might encourage newbs to do it.
    2. Skill stacking and/or changing name to Pwn noobs.

19. Nitrax

Nitrax Member

The only one of cwevens points that I have a real problem with is spawn camping. The rest are tactics that while I would prefer not to use, I'll accept taht other people play that way. (With the exception of the Jeep-repair thingy, as that may well be a bug.)

But I'm all up for playing nice during release and letting the newbs get involved in some really long games to show them everything.

20. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

with a couple of the points, like mines and spawn camping etc, theres a difference in the validity of it depending on your purpose. If you're trying to take down a base then its useful and you cant complain about it, if you're just trying to rack up kills to look good / get skills then its a pain. if you've a team mate taking down a barracks/comm then killing people as they spawn for a minute or so is fair game...

anything that gets the game over with very quickly without seeming to give the other side a chance could seem lame - if it happens more than once. in some ways, seeing something like that once in every dozen games could be quite jolly (depending which ones) theres nothing like seeing how things should/can be done. but not so much that its not fun to play against.