Can you guys give us regular updates???

Discussion in 'General' started by recon, Jun 30, 2008.

1. recon

recon SM Support Dev

The development team does not give us updates regularly (most mods have a developer's blog that is updated regularly).

I know you guys are working on 2.2, which is just a move to OB, but I don't know any details or how far along you guys are.

Would you please make a blog forum that is completely locked, so only devs can post there and give us updates at least every week. People like to know what's going on.

I'm also wondering why you don't Open Source the mod. Everyone could contribute, and the mod would probably get more features added faster, and more people would play it. People who wouldn't sign up for the dev team due to lack of time (like myself), would look at the mod todo in their free time and see if there's an item they could work on. And no, open sourcing the mod will not give people permanent cheats. You could use some type of hashing system to verify the client DLLs.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  2. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

If you had testers acsess, you could see what is being worked on. However you came here after 2.0.
    Also, this type of request has been asked before.

Hhahahahhahahahahahahaha.

3. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Everyone should be able to see what's happening.

4. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

I dont think it would be very encouraging for a new player to make his first visit to these boards, click this thread to see whats going on, and see the opening poster get laughed at with no explanations by a "senior member" :(

5. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I agree with that.

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Why, precisely?

Knowing what's happening doesn't make it go faster, and your input is probably not desired, if you do have input post it in the suggestions forum, if it's a good idea then the dev team will obviously consider it, if not, then they won't. I fail to see why more information is required.

7. arklansman

arklansman Member

People should contribute models. ;D

8. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

The mod would be full of cheaters. There's much more to hacking than just .dlls. For example injection into the RAM.

Also someone could steal a feature from the mod and call it their own. If you want to code shit for empires, then ask krenzo/falconx.

9. recon

recon SM Support Dev

You can probably protect the mod from that.

You don't understand what the OSI is all about. Sad.

Maybe the dev team can address what this thread is all about. Giving your players updates about development.

10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The only thing you'd ever hear if we had regular updates is "ported this piece of code" "that code now works" "optimised this" "worked on that", it's not interesting and would not help at all, considering it takes only one update to arrive a little late for everybody to go crazy and think the mod is dead.

11. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

The problem with haveing random people putting stuff into empies is that the game would become a mess. People want the mod to go into differant directions and it would ruin the mod. If u watch the intervew done with the team leader of Eternal Silence Mod, he says that they have a set team (like the empires team) and keep in contact at all times. Contact would be imposible if random people chiped in. Anyhow coder wise as said, people could chip in bits of code which only THEY know about allowing them to do hacks and stuff meaning that Krenzo would spend all of his time haveing to look though ALL of the third party code when insted he could of done it in half the time and know what is what. This is what people dont understand, everybody codes differantly.

And anyhow, remember what happend when some kid said he could code when he could only change colours of stuff and then haked Krenzos bank account and tried to donate a million pounds/dollers/euros to the Garys Mod Team and got their bank account frozen. Thats why the team is not huge.

BUT on a ligher note ANY modles that u have made for Empires can be dontated ^^

12. recon

recon SM Support Dev

That's exactly what I want. Since I'm a programmer, I understand stuff like that ;)

13. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I didn't even need to look at the code (which i don't even have) or think hard to sum that up, so i doubt it that it would be hard to sum it up for yourself every day.

14. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Well, since we don't have all the forum access you have, or access to the dev team, we can't.

15. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Is it really that hard just to say to yourself "today they fixed a bug" or "today they made a feature work on OB"?

16. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Well, it'd be nice to know details. Like 20 out of 50 bugs fixed or something.

17. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Details that can't be released. Be patient.

18. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

yes, then have the whole community complain when after fixing 3 bugs their as an additional bug that has been added, and as for making it open source, all im going to say on that is: NEUK JEEPS LOL LOL LOL ;)

19. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

They could, but it'd be virtually useless for 95% of the community lol

I'll ask FalconX if we can release more detailed stuff.

20. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

There are numerous problems with the My Little Ponies on Duststore that we're having problems with.

Sorry, i should have made a big thread about it sooner.

Seriously though, take the last PR thread I made, and add "Some more bugs were fixed and we talked about how to best manage our team" I don't even know what bugs are and aren't fixed because it frankly makes little difference. With the amount of coders compared to before Empires basically is open-sourced