Bioshock

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Gelnika, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Damian

Damian Member

1gig for a demo!! How long did it take? An hour to download on live?

2. Gelnika

Gelnika Member

You can play music on every 360- title :)

You can also connect your 360 to your comp (Mine's via the router) and that way, you can stream all the music on your PC, as well as all the videos and pictures you got.
    Well it took me more than an hour or two tbh, but I've got a slow connection (1mb/s)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  3. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

4. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Why didn't they release a demo on steam?

5. KILLX

KILLX Banned

PC demo is not ready. don't forget. a console is the same hardware for every console. PC's need tons of compatibility code to work on a variety of setups.

6. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Soonish I think

7. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

BioShock gets released for PC and the 360 on my birthday. Wow... (This coming 21'st)

8. Damian

Damian Member

I was mainly only impressed by the use of the water effects along with the intro in the demo :) It had the best feeling of an ocean ever created in a game. (felt like Titanic's ending ;)

or better yet can we say *cough* Cast Away scene rip *cough, cough*

I cant wait to play the full game to be impressed further.

9. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Whenever DX10.1 gets stamped out is when I think. God knows when ATI/AMD will ever release anything new...

Bioshock has DX10 features. Lost Planet is getting more DX10 features.

The water effects in Bioshock are truly awesome looking...

10. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Yet the game has gone gold already and is supposed to go on sale in less than 5 days. You're telling me they're still optimizing the code? I don't buy the incompatibility issue. The only reason, I think, is that they're waiting for ATI and Nvidia to release new beta drivers that will help bioshock run more smoothly.

I don't see the point of trying a demo when you can pretty much download the whole thing the same day. Then we'll see if they fidgeted with the code some more in terms of optimization (and that means they weren't done).

11. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

They're adding one or two tweaks was the news from a week ago. PC Demo due before the 21st.

12. KILLX

KILLX Banned

had no idea on the release date

13. REX

REX Member

As far as I know it is Nvidias plan to make a new release every year of a new series and that it shall happen in the last quarter of the year maybe as early as Nowember. And rumors say that it will reach 1 Teraflops, about 3 times more power than most of the highend series 8.

But it will probably be the usual tactics releasing the super expensive version first and then several months later releasing the medium solutions that most people will go for.

14. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Is there a demo for the PC. It looks kinda boring from what I've seen so far.

15. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

As of right now no

but here's a twenty two minute video thats shows some of the gameplay features.:)

16. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Yeah, I mentioned earlier - game goes gold the 21st, demo due before then. Watch on fileplanet and elsewhere.

If you read that rumor on The Inq, then don't believe it. I remember about a year ago R600 was going to be able to render 15 games at once, all at 1080P while brewing a cup of coffee for you and doing your laundry. Low and behold, the R600 is a piece of garbage. The 9800 won't even double performance, new generations never do. It doesn't make sense to either - why get ahead of games? Then you have no incentive for people to buy SLI, or the next gen of video cards. The only generation that could have done that is the 8800 as it moved to a universal shader setup. A 1 TFLOP GPU is insane; to achieve that they need a massive growth in die size, which cannot happen - so they'd need to SERIOUSLY drop their transistor size...which again, takes months. ATi's shift delayed one of their series (x1900s?) for a few months as they retapped their lines.

Of course they'll release the GTX, and at the same time launch the GTS/GT versions, then later come the 9600s and so on. I wonder if they will call it the 9800, just to spite ATi....

heh.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  17. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Well I just played the demo, and here's my thoughts:

The graphics are amazing, and very scalable. I have an AGP 6800, and I could get ~10fps with all settings on max. Dropping to the minimum gave me a variable 20-50fps. But when they're on full, they are fantastic. In the very opening, you are in a plane crash and you surface with fire all around you and water droplets in your face (read: on your screen). It all looked so good, I didn't even realise that the cut-scene had ended; only when I decided to wiggle the mouse did I get a very nice surprise. Lighting and shaders are top notch, as you would expect of the Unreal engine, and water particularly stands out as the best I've ever seen. At one point you are inside a walk-way that is rapidly filling with water. It looks like it could be real, the way the water flows down the halls and makes little rapids on the bends. Shadows on the wall can also be a handy indicator of an enemy creeping up on you, and add even more to the incredible atmosphere. 10/10 for the graphics.

As for the gameplay, I didn't really get to enjoy it very much. My system is nowhere near good enough to run it smoothly, so it was a rather choppy experience. Aiming was damn near impossible, and I was forced into easy mode to bring an end to the constant pwnage that I faced. From my experience of the demo, I think this would play much better if the shooter element was removed, and replaced by a more rich storyline/adventure factor. In case you can't tell by my avatar, I'm a big fan of adventure games :) I just want a chance to explore this fantastic world without shelling out for a 360.

18. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I played it. It's not bad but from the demo, I wouldn't say it's anything special. The demo reel at the end was more interesting than the demo.

Ran surprisingly well on my old card though. It was a little sluggish but it was still impressive how it looked on such old technology and was still fairly playable :D

19. Serivas

Serivas Member

You have an agp 6800? What is that? I assume you mean nvidia. but isn't the 6000 series parallel to ati's 9000/x800 series? if so, I cant get the bioshock demo to work at all. I read the support site and it says it requires shader model 3, but I have a radeon x800 pro, which is a shader model 2.2. But everything is black. very black. Except maby the flames. Those are pretty. If the game can't actualy run on something with a shader model 2.2, GG 2k games. My x800 can still play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with medium settings at a relitivly stable acceptable framerate(unless I hit a few spots with loads of textures and geometry, then my rams go to hell.). I have no idea why they can't be botherd to support 2.2. I know that my video card is fairly dated, but it can still put out decent graphics at decent frames.

[​IMG]

I loves me some marshmallows.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  20. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I ran the Bioshock demo the other night, and now my desktop computer hasn't been able to turn on ever since.