Bioshock

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Gelnika, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Gelnika

Gelnika Member

Didn't find a thread via search, so I thought that it deserved its own thread here aswell :)

So anyone looking forward to this then? The demo was just released on marketplace, and my god it was amazing. The music, levels and the screams over halls made up a great atmosphere, and the graphics were top-notch. Ran quite smooth aswell, with not a single drop on the framerate :D

Discuss.

2. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

I might buy it when I get a 360 seeing as how this computer can barely run games using the Unreal 3 engine. Personally I've been looking forward to it, though I wish the game had built in co-op though.

3. KILLX

KILLX Banned

i am going to play it now

4. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I honestly don't find it my kinda shtick games enough to buy an XBOX360 for it. Honestly. Really.

5. arklansman

arklansman Member

Then buy it for PC. I would if my PC wasn't shit. :(

6. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I wish I had all the consoles and a good pc, they all have their games that I love, this is one of them.

/me waits patiently for the pc demo.

7. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Why would you buy a 360 to play a game that you can also get on a computer that you could upgrade for wai cheaper??

8. Slithzerikai

Speaking of that, it's about time I get my graphics cards.

9. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

No, it isn't. Unless you want to buy a new graphics card in 6 months like i am planning to.

DX10.1 will require new hardware - current 8X00s and AMD 2X00s will NOT support DX10.1 features. Its like DX9.0C with SM3. I used to advocate just getting an 8800 and being done with it, but now that MS has said that they plan to outdate hardware this early, I don't think its worth it. I guess its better they outdate hardware now, rather than 2 years down the road.

The nVidia 9800 (or whatever they call it...) series is within sight, however no new AMD hardware is even NEAR release. AMD is just so far behind, its really sad. Please don't die AMD, we need competition!

10. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

I have some space available for Bioshock. I'm eagerly anticipating it's arrival.

11. Pope_Homeless_XIII

What makes you think I'm only going to buy it for Bioshock, I'm also going to get Gears of War (which I heard is getting a PC port), GTA 4, Mercenaries 2, Assassins Creed, Lost Odyssey, & I think there might be some more (I'm keeping an eye out on Eternal Sonata & Stranglehold not sure on those yet):)

12. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

So you heard about that, huh? After reading about that I considered posting a thread telling you about it, but decided it would probably be better for my health to not say anything.

From what I hear 10.1 won't really offer much of anything, though. Like, it makes the capability to do 4x AA required, and not much else. Still, I've also heard that the current DX10 cards are practically incapable of running the DX10 games coming out, so...

13. Slithzerikai

When I get my X1600s I should be set for for at least untill 2010 hopefully.

14. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Well, i played the X360 demo yesterday, and I must say, it IS all its hyped up to be.

Intro:
    1960, your flying above the Mid-Pacific in a plane. talking for a bit, then the plane crashes. you struggle to reach the surface, nearly drowning. theres plane wreckage everywhere, and the water is on fire because of the fuel spills. theres fire everywhere. now it turns to gameplay. only one way to go: what looks like a lighthouse in the distance.

you climb out of the water on to the partly submerged stairs, and a heavy looking metal door is open. its pitch black inside. you go in, the door closes behind you and you cant see anything. slowly, lights start coming on. a banner in front of you reads:
    "No Gods or Kings.
    Only Man."​
    as go go farther, you find a staircase leading down. when you get close, more lights snap on. when you reach the bottom, your at the top of more stairs overlooking a massive room. theres a brass colored sphere positioned directly over, and partly in, a pool of water. if you enter it through the door, you find its named a Bathysphere. pull the lever, and the sphere drops into the water.

Intro to Rapture:
    A screen outside the Bathysphere with audio talks about the Rapture, then as the audio continues, the Bathysphere continues moving. The sphere enters a verticle tube that slowly raises you into a disembarkment area, where you can leave the sphere. The entire time you overhear someone talking on the radio, about "Splicers." WHen the sphere reaches the top of the tube, you witness and hear a man on the other side of the sphere's door pleading with what looks like a mutated human, pleading not to be hurt, before it attacks him, and kills him in a shower of blood. it discovers your there and freaks out, trying to make the Bathysphere plunge into the water. you can hear it making animal like sounds as it tears apart something, making sounds of screeching metal, while the sphere gently rocks and the lights spark. it stops, all is silent, and the cinematic ends.

from here, you need to approach the radio, someone will talk to you. that freak mutant thing is still around here, but he asks you to trust him. what choice do you have? if you hug the sphere the thing may come back. as you go farther, in the dark, you see a humanoid silhouette. suddenly a light snaps on the silhouette: its the thing that tried to kill you. a miniature helicopter comes flying above your head, equipped with a machine guns, and chases the thing away. now you get your first weapon, a big heavy wrench. you use it to smash through some crumbling columns, and proceed up a staircase. someone hurls a flaming couch down at you. a man is waiting at the top of the stairs, to the side. kill him and you can search his body. you can search any body. for some reason everyone carries a syringe... to the side, theres stairs, with a sign above them saying
    "Open
    Plasmids"
    at the top, to right, theres what looks like a vending machine, with a sign on top that reads
    "Gathers
    Garden"
    theres a fancy bottle of a red fluid with a injector waiting for you to pickup. as soon as you pick it up, a cinematic of you using it starts. you start grunting in pain, then screaming, as the man on the radio esplains how your genetic code is being rewritten, how you'll be fine, and to stay calm. you approach the balcony overlooking the hall you killed the couch hurler in, and throw yourself over, head first.

Blackout:
    after you black out, your vision returns. your lying on the floor, not moving, with a sideways view of wjhats going on around you. a splicer approaches you and starts talking. you black out again, and when your vision returns, you can ehar a thumping sound. a Big Daddy slowly lumber into view, walking past you, foot inches from your head. it raises its drill, and you black out again. when your vision returns i little girsl is there with the Big Daddy. the girl talks a bit, realizes your breathing still, and tells the Big Daddy its ok, and not to attack you. the 2 walk off as you black out again.

Rapture w/ Plasmids:
    you now have the Electro Bolt plasmid ability. fun. seriously. your told to use it on a sparking door lever, and it opens. once you enter, the door closes behind you, and the tail section of the crashed plane comes through the underwater bridge. after passing through the plane tail section, something explodes ahead, but outside, the bridge. as you reach the exit, a pressure door is badly warped by water trying to get in. good thing it doesn't pop off and kill you. as you progress, 2 Splicers attack you. you can kill them however you want. i equip my plasmids, then wait for hem to come out the shadows, and stun one with an electric shock, finishing him with a wrench strike to the skull. the other one leaps at me at the same moment, and i turn and go ape on him. pipes are fun :) realizing i'm out of what ever plasmids run off, i switch back to plasmids and 'reload' them with a EVA pack i picked up earlier. farther along, a Splicer lit on fire comes running through a doorway swinging a pipe around. i go where he came from and find a elevator.

Rapture Continued:
    at the top of the elevator, to the right, a woman is singing to... revolver in a baby carriage? yep. nutty folk around here. i sneak up behind her, stun her with an electro plasmid, and wrench her, picking up the revolver on the way out. the iron-sights prove effective. i find a table with some alcohol, drink it, and find an interesting drunk effect. i find a washroom with a new plasmid in it: incinerate. on the way out, a Splicer bursts out of a bathroom stall, weapon in hand, and his face meets my wrench. melee head shots? woot! i go into the other bathroom, and a stall has a hole blown in it. i go through the holl, and the door closes behind me. on the floor below me, inspecting a corpse, is a little girl. after an explanation from the man on the radio, Atlas, you realize shes sticking a needle into it, a big needle, extracting what was explained by Atlas as 'Adam.' crossing over the theater room on a catwalk, you find stairs that go down to the same floor as the little girl. after seeing the videos for Bioshock, i'm rather reluctant to go down there since the big Daddies kill anyone near the girls on sight. no where else to go, so i descend. at the bottom is a huge reinforced glass window, keeping me safe. a man walks into the room, and panics on seeing the girl. he begs her to be quiet, but when she screams for help from a Big Daddy, he leaps at her with his revolver. after hitting her in the head, she runs away, and a Big Daddy smashes through a wall and hurls something toward the man, who is frantically shooting it to no effect. the Big Daddy charges at the man clubbing him with his drill. when the man stands up, the Big Daddy stabs him in the chest, activates the drill, killing him. he then grabs the man by the head and uses him to smash the glass your behind, and hurls him through the glass once its cracked enough, leaving a hole. the dead man is nice enough to supply you with some revolver ammo. after smashing a lock to the right to open a gate, you proceed down a hallway, and kill another Splicer. theres ammo at one end of the hall, for the revolver, and a machine gun near where the Splicer attacks.

Security:
    Now it gets evil. since this is my second time playing the demo, i know this part. i have 2 options. avoid security cameras, or hack the camera. if i try to avoid the camera and fail, machine gun flying robots like the one that chased the Splicer away from me at the beginning will come after me for about 1 min before the security system automatically goes dormant. if i hack the camera it will spot enemies of mine, and send the robots after them. i decide to sneak over to the camera when its looking away. i have 3 options when i try to hack: hack, don't hack, buy out ($10). seeing as the last time i tried to hack something (a dormant security robot) it exploded and nearly killed me, i decide to buy out. the hacking system makes no sense to me, get a game manual if you want infos. i proceed down the stairs past the camera, with a security robot buzzing around after the fool that set it off. zapping the pool of water at the bottom of the stairs, i watch a Splicer fry. i proceed into a bathroom, zap a automatic turret to disable it, then hack it, successfully this time. soon after a female Splicer runs into the bathroom, and gets gunned down by my new friend. i leave the bathroom, ehading toward what looks like the way out, when it slams shut. security is then set off by a rush of Splicers that want me dead. since i hacked security, they doom themselves since the robots attack only the Splicers. amid the battle, after firing of a some machine gun rounds, i find a deactivated security robot. i buy out in the hack menu to save time, and my little friend starts following me around, shooting the crap out of anyone i so much as try to prod. once all the Splicers are dead, i search the bodies for money (for buying out in hack mode), first aid packs, and EVA packs. Atlas then tells me i need to go to medical. i go the wrong way and make a new enemy, a flame thrower turret. panicking because of how powerful this sort of weapon normally is, i unload my MG through the fence and knock it over or maybe even destroy it. i go to the other end of the room and proceed to medical, admiring the fantastic water visuals as it pours from the ceiling. when i get to the end of the hall, theres an open airlock door. i head toward it and it closes. Atlas starts saying on the radio that i;m trapped, and that hes going to attempt to override it. a video plays on the wall opposite the door.splicers start trying to break through the glass. outnumbering me 5 to 1. as i look around for anything that may help, i see m,y security robot friend is still with me. it gives me some hope.

END DEMO

15. KILLX

KILLX Banned

16. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

My reasons for getting a 360 (If I were to get one):
    1. Mass Effect
    2. BioShock (Because my graphics card might as well have melted by now)

Do you see what's wrong with this list

17. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Assassin's Creed. Crysis. Bioshock. Possibly the 3 greatest games that will be out in the next year (as in 12 months from today)

18. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Videocards are handling call to juarez fine in DX10 mode with advanced AA. Only serious game that can show off DX10 is lost planet, but that is a POS port from DX9 to DX10. I won't pass verdict on my 8800 until Crysis is out. Then I'll finally know....

DX10.1 is worth it for XAudio ALONE. A DSound replacement is needed, as OpenAL and Creative...well...snap crackle pop.

BTW, Bioshock will be a DX10 test.

Edit: DX10 is getting better, on the NV side. ATI DX10 performance is in the crapper still. http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/in...sk=view&id=416&Itemid=29&limit=1&limitstart=1

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  19. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Is Bioshock DX10? Because it doesn't look like it, and that would really bum me out.

When is the next line of DX10 cards from NVidia coming out, anyway?

20. Pope_Homeless_XIII

I say if you're damn sure your PC can run Bioshock go for it. I myself would buy the PC version but I'm a complete noob when comes to modifying computers:( (mainly most of wattage stuff) & basically it just gives another reason to buy a 360, though there is something I want to know about the 360; Can I play my own music in any game or is like the original Xbox where only a few titles had that option?