Battlefield 3 Released - Post here if you bought it (for PC)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Trickster, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Overall my rig (AMD Phenom T1055, MSI 560ti and 6 GB RAM) runs it pretty smoothly on high with only textures set to ultra and 4x AA. FPS drops a bit on open maps like Caspian Border, but it's acceptable.

In other news, Origin is a piece of barb wire wank.

2. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I was just playing the last co-op mission, and for some reason, my gun disappeared, because i was supposed to shoot some guy, and i had nothing to shoot him with. Fucking quick time events.

EDIT: the game is also crashing randomly, it flashes in RGB colors and simply disappears.

3. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

dude
    singleplayer
    no one cares

4. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Co-op aint singleplayer, the game shuts down when either player leaves.

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

If you do ever upgrade your PC, it's worth rebuying over there. But yeah, I totally agree. I didn't like BF2 that much to be honest, and BC2 wasn't fantastic, but BF3 has just blown me away. I pre-ordered after playing the alpha, and quite frankly, for £30 (probably around $50-$55), I think it's awesome. I'd have paid double that knowing how good it is now, so I'm more than happy for DLC if they keep all the DLC packs to as high a standard as the Back to Karkand one. The biggest disappointment is the lack of mod support, but they may well add that after they're done milking the game for DLC. And let's be honest, you can hardly blame them.

I said this myself, but you unlock stuff for aircraft so quickly that after like 3 minutes in a jet, you'll get the flares. I'll reserve my judgement in reference to buffing them until after I've unlocked everything, but it does seem a little easy to shoot people down at the moment, and you can't really out-turn the missiles which takes a bit of the fun out of it.

Honestly, Rush is fun sometimes. I play conquest mainly but occasionally some Rush is fun. The thing is though, they've made maps for a primary game mode, and then stuck the other game modes on. For most maps, this works, but for some it's horrendous. As an example, Conquest Operation Metro. Metro is a Rush map, through and through. It's long, linear. And that just doesn't work with conquest. And I think there's some open map that had Rush on it, and it just ended with you getting sniped from miles away due to the battle area.

But when the map is actually made for Rush, it's really fun, and works out nicely. Operation Metro actually plays really nicely, they put a lot of effort into it. In contrast, Davamand Peak or something, can be shitty at the start because it doesn't seem like it was made for Rush (even though that part of the map is only accessible in the Rush game mode, that wasn't the original intention with that map IIRC), so you struggle to push the first area.

But you have the choice so there's no real problem with it, but honestly, a Rush game every now and then is pretty nice.

6. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

was anyone able to fly a looping with a heli yet?

7. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I was able to fly it into the nearest mountain when i first hopped into one, i'm able to perform simply flybys by now by using what i know from BF2. No loopings, but if you fly high enough i guess it's possible.

8. Fooshi

I've unlocked 4 of the unlocks for the jet and, to be honest, the jets don't need a buff. As Trickster said, you unlock things so ridiculously fast. 300 points is the only thing you need to unlock flares, which is basically destroying a vehicle with one enemy in it. (100 for vehicle disabled, 100 for vehicle destroyed and 100 for enemy killed)

9. Trickster

Do you have a controller for a console (that connects via USB?)? And do you know you can use the arrow keys rather than the mouse? It's not that difficult to fly using keyboard, even keyboard/mouse, but it's easy with a controller. I imagine a joystick can't be that hard either.

10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I use a mouse and keyboard. The Y axis was inverted, and it took me a few minutes to get used to flying. It didn't help that i was playing co-op and we were alternating between piloting and gunning. It sucks that you can't change the controls in the menu.

11. Trickster

You can un-invert it, but pulling back to go up is natural to most people, given that's how aircraft work. But I had no issues totally remapping my entire controls in the options.

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

fuck you all im getting it tomorrow, goddamn peer pressure. :rolleyes:
    and its your fault if i dont get food this month bc im quite sure ill get a gfx card aswell :pathetic:

^^

13. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

lololl olol ur going to die

14. Fooshi

Why don't you have it either, Simon? :(

15. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The problem wasn't inverting the controls, it was accessing the controls, because pressing escape when you're not in-game will pop up a window asking if you want to quit. It's another one of those dumbass things they did with the GUI. Also, i prefer the inverted controls, so i pull back to go down.

EDIT: oh hey, looks like every time i restart my computer i have to reinstall the drivers just to start up the game, good one EA!
    I also can't connect to EA's servers, so i can't get past starting up the game.

Battlelog has this at the top:

How about they just use Steam and stop reinventing the wheel.

16. Vante

Vante Member

I'm not sure, but if the game supports the use of a Xbox controller, then no problem...
    so if you want to use a PS3 controller all you need is "DS3 Motionjoy(orw/e)" and use that as an Xboxcontroller emulator, works fine for me in NFS:SU.
    So if the game supports the use of gamepads and you have a PS3 controller then flying should be easy(if you're compleatly incapable of using your keyboard)
    (if use of gamepad(ps3), then the "charging ubs thingy is needed... i think)

17. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

well i had no problems at all flying heli with keyboard and mouse
    a friend teached me how to in BF2
    learnt even how to fly a looping with that thing

but i still cant get myself attached to jets
    i constantly get shot down

18. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I can't see shit for some reason, the enemy could be right in front of me and i'll still miss him.

19. Empty

Empty Member

Fuckin ridiculous load times and a 75% crash rate today. Not having fun :(

20. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

What happens when you combine tons of foliage, buildings, camouflage and sniper rifles? Rape.