Attack orders

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by FN198, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I could be wrong. I haven't played enough to know which way round it is, but I just assumed from the post above that it was comms which had perma targets.

2. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

How it is now: Comm has perma targets, squad leads have perma targets.

How it should be: Comm isn't supposed to have perma targets, squad leads are supposed to have perma targets.

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Why not remove commander targets, but automatically show visible units with the red diamond around them in commander view?

Com can give generalized attack orders, but not specifically on a unit. They last 20 seconds, long enough to make an attempt to out meneuver the people, but not long enough to confuse people 5 minutes later when it's still there.

Squad leaders will have their own target button, and let it target any additional standing / moving units within X units of the unit that was targeted. Squad leaders will only be able to issue attack orders on a unit. The attack order should be a default bound key, or give squad commanders an extra item slot, # 5, for binoculars. Targets disappear if you are not within x units of squad leader, or if squad leader is more than x units away from the target location. If the squad leader dies, he will still count as in the area until he respawns and his entity is located farther than x units away.

move orders would work the same.

4. Trickster

So let's remove stealth entirely from the game? Cmon Metalsmith, you should know better than that.

5. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

If you can ctrl + A to see people anyways.... The only difference is that the commander has to view the area, and a squad has to be in the area.

Given the same token, it would make sense to just to remove the targets all together for commander as well. If you make all of this revolve around the locations of your squad leaders, it really doesn't make a difference. If your squad leaders are constantly in your own base, you probably aren't doing well anyhow.

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

but targets aint a tool for the comm to spot better - though ofc you can abuse them for this - but to coordinate its team. how is this any replacement?

also 1s delay sounds good, if you can get a coder to make it configurable it would be best though, maybe the second is to long or to short, better be able to script it then have it hardcoded ...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  7. Trickster

Script yeah, but I'd rather every server didn't have a different setting for it. Some areas of the game really need to be consistent.

8. FN198

FN198 Member

1 second delay? that's by far one of your most absurd suggestions.

why can't it be just as simple as TARGETS or NO TARGETS?

9. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

If that's the choice, i'd go with no targets for the commander. Part of the issue is that commanders can still ctrl+A and see the highlights. You either needs to make that part of the functionality or removed targets completely IMO.

10. flasche

it only will make it more difficult to judge at what exact time the enemy comes around a corner - or at what exact position he is around said corner - so prefire will be a tad less predictable, reducing the wallhack effect.
    another option would be something similar to scope sway - a random, changing offset.

you know i agree on consitency between servers, still its a new feature and chances it needs tweaking are good. you can still hardcode the value which proves best in the next release.

also can you finally lose your target? every time i used it in this release people died a few seconds later ... it would be cool if being targeted gets reset after 30s or smthg. though ofc 30s is quite a lot in multiplayer online gaming ...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  11. Trickster

Afaik, the system in place for targets currently is that it expires if the infantryman moves X units from where the original target was. Vehicles and buildings use a different system.

12. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Does anyone else think targets are fine and better than they have ever been?

13. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

Yes. I actually have no issue with the way targets are currently implemented, although to be fair, the issue of targets is one I'm generally apathetic towards as a whole.

14. flasche

the current target implementation is the best we ever had.

15. FN198

FN198 Member

this is whats at the core of my mad. i'm really surprised that none of you see its importance.

16. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

No worries FN, I gotcha.

Can you put in a small patch that just removes target highlighting with ctrl+A for commander trickster? at least for the test client to see how it affects gameplay?

As much as you don't like wall hacks, ghosting isn't much better.

17. Trickster

We already tried it a while ago. It was a pain to select single infantry on the opposite team. I know that it can be revealing but a tiny percentage of commanders use it for that, so I don't mind leaving it in for the best commanders.

Assuming we get the coding time, we have this planned:

This patch (bugfixes + small features)
    Next patch - Scout shit
    Patch after - bugfixes + small features
    Patch after that - Commander shit (when targets and shit get an overhaul)
    patch after - bugfixes + small features

Obviously, not all of these patches will happen, but that's the 12 month roadmap. Plan there is for single-player-campaign style objectives, with new directional radar buildings or someshit. Point being, it'll be an adequate replacement at the time.

18. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I don't see GUI overhaul in there unless its the "and shit get an overhaul". Its still on the todo list right?

19. Trickster

Unless we get a huge increase in coder time, I doubt it's possible. The issue is, it's not something we can do bit by bit. It has to be done in one go, and it's just not possible to do that right now. I would be surprised if we even get to the commander patch if I'm honest, but I'm just hoping we do.

20. FN198

FN198 Member

daily reminder that your target implementation is dysfunctional.

you can't balance an organizing tool as an aid to situational awareness.
    it's got to be one or the other.