Attack orders

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by FN198, Mar 9, 2013.

1. FN198

FN198 Member

[PROBLEM]
    Single target attack orders post a dilemma to commanders. While they are useful to units on the ground, they are also quite misleading. Any empiresmod vet should know that the commander can't give more than one target at a time, but to average joe casual new player, he will assume that there is only one hostile in the vicinity. Most of the time, this assumption is wrong because there are often multiple enemies that are challenging him (empries is a team game). Average joe casual new player will either:
    • kill the targeted hostile then let down his guard and get killed by the untargeted hostile
    • chase the targeted hostile then get foolishly routed by the untargeted hostile
    The commander cannot be expected to re-target the unit's region each time someone is killed, or a hostile target shifts in priority. This would take too much of the commander's time and vigilance. Due to the previously mentioned problem, such micromanagement would have the potential of causing even more confusion among the team's less experienced players.

In short: if the commander gives a player a target in an area, they should assume that that target was the only target in their area at the time it was assigned. To have a system that works otherwise is to confuse players and burden commanders with the responsibility of misleading inexperienced players.

[SUGGESTION]
    Remove single target attack orders OR Reimplement indefinite (2.0 style) target attack orders.

2. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Going to +1 this, getting tired of people complaining about targets when I tell them them I can only do one at a time.

And to quote Melieron "The commander should never have to micromanage."

3. complete_

complete_ lamer

nonono. lets implement +1 target order each patch

4. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Implement target all but, only lock one at a time and when that target dies auto target the next one in the group selected?

Or even better... With each level of the commander he can target one additional target per targeting.

5. BigTeef

Now that I think about it, this can some what be exploited.

Why not we put a timer on attack orders so it forces people to refresh attacks so we cant perma see people the entire time.
    I am in full support for multiple targets but I would like a timer for it.

6. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Oh look, we're back to the 2.12.
    Inb4 someone raging at the commander because he's not spamming attack orders like a spasmic kid.

(Yes, that's what you needed to do when we had multi-targets).

7. FN198

FN198 Member

...and only being able to assign one target per attack order makes this less of an issue? it makes the commander even more responsible for assigning targets.

please clarify for me what you mean by 'this'. now depending on how you feel, we could either go back to no targets, or back to indefinite targets. either is better than the current system.

this is counter-intuitive and a waste of effort.

8. BigTeef

I am replying to a thread about attack orders.
    I wonder what I meant by "this" especially when I was supporting your suggestion.

9. LordDz_2

No currently it's like " hey com can I have a target in a barrack" happens a few times at a match.

Before it was OMG FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING NOOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY YOU NOT GIVE ME TARGETS EVERY FUCKING SECOND!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. BigTeef

You could have prevented that..
    You would have saved everyone...
    why Dz....
    whyy

11. FN198

FN198 Member

this is mostly because people aren't used to asking for targets. i would assume that the person asking for targets in your situation is the same person each time.

what's confusing for me is that i am proposing two alternatives which while distinct from each other both are better than the current situation.

i don't mean to say that you're unclear or anything, i'd just like know if you think both or only one is a good alternative. oh wow, that doesnt seem clear either, does it?

12. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Did I mid read... Or did FN post against Micro???

tbh as a mediocre fokm who sucks at micro, I think that it isn't that hard to issue the right target. Not if ai am following a particular area which I should be. Current single targets are still way better than target spam?

13. LordDz_2

Fn, I don't want to have to do it more. It's a monotone repetitive task. I already have to build radars, drop stuff and research + refs for everyone. Now I have to give even more red wallhack for people because they can't look around themselves a bit?

14. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Would it be crazy if we had some wonky CoD-style "target" that pointed the player in the right direction but didn't "target" an enemy?

http://youtu.be/P5gOQ7fWCdU?t=10s

In CoD, that red thing pops up when you get hit. In empires, that could aim at an enemy. But I think that would be too difficult to implement and honestly not a knockout idea to begin with.

Really, I don't think Empires can handle targets.

15. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Could try, you know, adding accessible information about comm targets to the game/manual/wiki.

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yeah I wouldn't mind that at all to be honest. It is on the long term list.

17. FN198

FN198 Member

LordDz: I don't know whether you're just trying to be argumentative or if you just don't understand the problem.
    so you would rather that single target attack orders be removed?

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you can only give one target at a time, wouldn't it take more time to assign someone 5 targets than if...
    ...than if you could assign them those 5 targets all at once, instead of having to do the same thing five times in a row to achieve a similar effect?

I'll answer that for you, LordDz; it takes at least five times as long with single target attack orders.

Reading this gives me the feeling that you don't have any empathy. Empathy is one of those things that makes your posts have value. Without it, your opinion lacks... dimension, for lack of a better way to put it.

18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The whole point of single targets is to remove the necessity of it. Giving full target spam was an absolute necessity when it was around. Anyone who was worth anything as a commander would make sure that every last player on his team had targets on everything within a radius of him all the time.

That's not even remotely practical now, so single targets should be used in specific circumstances only, for prioritising specific targets. Remember that giving a single target to a player in amongst 5 other potential targets, without explaining why you gave that target, can blind them from the other 5 guys and usually end up in the actual target not dying. Use them sparingly and explain your reason for using them. Targets are no substitute for just telling someone how many people they have surrounding them and describing the locations. Any experienced commander should be able to convey this in few enough words and still get the point across.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  19. FN198

FN198 Member

It is once again a necessity for a good commander to assign targets constantly, yet now they must give their targets with a DISCLAIMER if they do not want to confuse their teammates on the ground.

you would be surprised.

there used to be a time when you didn't need to explain every single fucking thing you were doing and still be an effective commander.

20. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Alongside hard collisions, this is targets that I don't think should have been reimplemented, no matter how much it was nerfed. Empires doesn't need wallhacking, although I'm not entirely against the A drag so you can count enemies in a small area.