Attack orders

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by FN198, Mar 9, 2013.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Rereading this thread, I came across this gem. Wow.

It definitely seems arbitrary to give the same targets to the group of players that are aligned by having the same micro goal.

The sound of a thousand facepalms descends upon you.

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Sharing the targets is one thing, but limiting the amount of targets by how many players are in that squad is just pointless. As for sharing targets, that is and isn't necessary. Of course, the commander should be able to give targets to an entire squad specifically (If the unit-squad function ingame worked then it already would), but making it so you can ONLY do that is absurd. Why do I need to give the entirety of Bravo squad a target on that guy at main when I just need to direct the one guy who killspawned back to get a vehicle. It's utterly pointless, there is no need for such a restriction.

3. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

THINK of it...

f1 = alpha / first squad with people in it
    f2 = you get the idea...

now press F1 and ATTACK_BOX an area, all 4 guys in Alpha get 4 targets under that big red box even though there are 8 enemies....

now you see one guy in Alpha respawns his ass back in main (very obvious on MINIMAP, that thing in the corner)

So you wonder why perhaps, clickycxlicky, targets for him ( recieves 4 targets even thou there are 6 guys piling out of an APC at your base.

PROS
    -----
    Now, alpha is super equipped, reduces mic use for comm
    Comm, is aware of major fuk_up_yer_base attack going down

CONS
    -----
    Suggested & Supported by Me

If we don't limit the target amount somehow, when it gets reimplemented then its just going to be an attack_target_spam war like it was before....

PS: How often do you really need 5 guys to attack ONE thing?

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

That's a fairly substantial con.

But I'm sorry, I just don't see the point =/

5. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

one day sir....one day........

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

bitchslap i know that - and how - box targets are implemented in the current version. i only meant to say that its more convenient then clicking the enemy directly.

i think the current target system is a good middleground - though i think a small ~1s delay on position would be a good addition so that its not wallhackish - it allows the comm to directly interact and help a single player or a small group with the tradeoff that he is required to watch over the area for it to be really efficient since you cant just target everyone anymore.

also its great that targets finally wear off.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  7. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

You mean that buggy piece of shit that never works?

8. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

That's exactly how it works.

9. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Can somebody circle that mini map? I am having trouble finding it.

10. OuNin

OuNin Member

atttack orders icon should scale depending on how many units (bigger for more units) and types of units ( bigger for bigger vehicles)

11. complete_

complete_ lamer

satellite interference

12. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

does the radar still do some of those fancy tricks it did before? cant recall the version but it was prob 2.12 or some shit, where the comm radar revealed enemy targets on minimap (which yes we all agree is 100% reliable)

perhaps a mobile-radar vehicle (yeah C&C games had em)
    or
    a mini-radar (comm placable) that actually reveals enemies to friendlies (wallhax) IF you can protect it in the field. Thinking armory HP and 250-400 cost, perhaps higher if intended as a late-game fortification item (turrets/walls)

13. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

bitchslap didnt you say you want to teach noobs? some of your post leave the impression i could teach you something even if grandmaster fn thinks im worse then noobs ...

or in other words: you forgot about engineer deployable radar. it does exactly that. ;)

14. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

yes but but the radar is stationery and radius fairly small on big open maps.
    Plus not many players drop them anymore it seems, which is somewhat understandable as game pace has improved a lot (except on this pretty looking, slow-as-shit income maps) so if we had another defensive mechanism the comm can implement w/o having to draw a player from the front lines.

15. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Thoughts about multitargeting (or even the current single targeting):

The way it grants wallhax was problematic for several reasons; it made commanding less intuitive, and back when you could sweep targets over everything it wasn't actually very fun -- for the commander, it involved no choices, just spastically click-dragging with your mouse; for players, it was fun to have wallhax when your enemy didn't, but in every other case it made the game less fun, generally. And it gave a huge, overwhelming advantage to people who knew how that particular part of the game happened to work despite not being very tactical -- it wasn't a choice on the part of the comms or a strategy on the part of the players. (Well, there was some choice in a really hectic map in terms of where the comm focused their attention; and that would be worth preserving if we could eliminate the problems.)

I think that one option people have mentioned would be to fit it into the game a bit better; a 'radar sweep' button which requires a radar within a certain distance (much wider than its auto-detect distance, of course) and which has a cooldown that decreases if you have more radars would both make it more intuitive and less arbitrary -- instead of your commander spamming attack orders. The cooldown would require that the comm use it strategically rather than spamming it wildly, and the fact that it'd have a button on the interface would make it more intuitive.

What if a radar sweep like that also alerted the players that they were getting sweeped, so it wasn't such an overwhelming advantage? Or perhaps just if there was a scout nearby or something, to create another use for scouts -- detecting when you're being radar-sweeped seems like a scout-ish thing to do.

(Listening posts also work. Whatever happened to those, anyway?)

These could be hard to implement, though. Perhaps one answer is just to increase the radius of engineer / radar detection, and to allow the comm to only target people who have already been detected by one of those. Of course, that limits the comm's interaction even more... not fun. Hrm.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

No one implements stuff if Chris makes the models for them.

At least that's what it sometimes seems like :p