After a year in Empires, why keep playing?

Discussion in 'General' started by recon, Dec 2, 2008.

1. kill3rtomato

kill3rtomato Member

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner. Except I join Nachos since that has less noobs [read failure] in it.

Also I kinda want to make an animated training video because it would be funny c;

2. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

/me wonders if this is a possible case for a code ban from empires totally.

/me wonders if placing brushes to kill people who go below the map would help solve this problem in the long term.

3. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I was going to code up some tutorials in Silverlight a while ago, then nuked my RAID array (read: my Vista install, and forgot to save my XAML files) and have been far too busy with work to start over again.

4. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

I'm talking about multiplayer games. Someone once said: 'singleplayer is art, multiplayer is sport'. Pulp Fiction is singleplayer. I will always want new movies to watch and game experiances to play. Chess is a battle of wits between two people, it's multiplayer. The game has enough depth for people to spend literally a lifetime mastering it. Fencing is sport that most people do not master until they are well beyond their physical peak. I think a multiplayer videogame can offer that challenge. Why not? They say it takes seven years playing minimum to reach a professional level at Starcraft. If Chess and Go can offer a lifetimes worth of depth, I so reason why a videogame could not offer that level of challenge.

5. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Yeah that would fix most of these type sploits. Dunno why its not been done, its very simple to add a huge brush under the map that kills anyone falling thru.

6. Empty

Empty Member

Funny, because you got permabanned off nachos for comm exploiting a few hours ago.

7. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

I stole this HB or whatever spookys clan is comm and recycled thier shit because he tried to grief me through the walls yesterday. Meh.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  8. Empty

Empty Member

Revenge always fixes everything.

9. Rawh

Rawh Member

Well at some point I suppose this is possible.
    The current server version of empires ships with already 2 steamid's in the banned_user.cfg file. I think that's some kind of "we don't like you so you got banned in the release file"-thing? :)

10. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I can relate to that, but still I think even comparing multiplayer games to a board game does neither justice. A lot of sports are still advancing, especially those connected with technology, like F1. Besides that, a lot of sports have more to it than just the game design, the environment plays a role in some sports, like cycling or rally. While these too have only a set amount of "tracks" why should a game have these limitations. Which is just a single aspect. And even multiplayer games are advancing, where even an instanced game can be integrated into more, if you look at MMORPG's, they're not just RPG anymore and represent a very viable future of gaming that can advance infinitly.

11. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

It is only done in extreme cases - where someone intentionally ruins games all the time. I think someone who spent their time going below the map is currently hardcode banned.

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

But as of yet has failed to do so by anything more then fractional margins, basically nothings new since diablo 2 multiplayer, its just done differently

13. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

They're the [CHOPPER] guys. They take in pride in their work and they masturbate over their griefing skills every night.

14. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

So do I, nothing special

15. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

I'm just saying that a game, whether physical, board, or digital, can have enough depth to keep someone engaged with it for decades without needing constant change and 'improvement', and that when a game reaches a sufficiently high level of quality, change becomes unnecessary and even detrimental. Of course there are games that benefit from improvements (F1, you should remember, is a very new sport and so naturally the rules and technology are still be agreed upon.) but games like Go have remained almost unchanged for hundreds (thousands) of years. No doubt when the game was first invented there where many changes in the way the game was played, and this is the stage that videogames are at right now. Five hundred years from now, what will FPS deathamatch look like? Will there be established classes of game, each with their own physics, weapons and powerups that have been the same for a hundred years? New environments in the form of maps can still be added all the time, but will the core rules remain constant for 'realistic' or 'Quake' FPS? I think it's interesting.

I think comparisons to boardgames and sports are fair. Videogames owe a lot to board and pen and paper games, more than you might appreciate unless you have studied the history of the two mediums. In fact boardgames have started borrowing concepts from videogames over the last five years or so. If you define a game as an activity pursued by one or more people who work towards a set goal within the framework of established rules, this could apply equally well to Tennis, Monopoly or Empires.

16. dizzyone

It's a new age and video games are the apex of interactive media, I doubt anyone knows what this kind of technology will advance to, have to put things into perspective of their age, and yes of course video games owe a lot to it, but to think that videogames will become the cyber sport they are now, because that's really where we are already at, it's conidered a sport, just that the games keep advancing. It's a first step and I guess it's where our opinions differ, I don't think videogames will ever end up in that state because they're potentially already at that state, and I neither see whats wrong with it's current format, advancement in technology and simulation is the future, while videogames in their current state just aren't carved out of the same wood as a game of backgammon or a physical activity like tennis. Chess is a mind game, like Draughts it wil eventually become obsolete, especially looking at current development in AI. I don't see how a videogame could survive in such a climate of technological advancement, let alone compare them to the slightest with a board game that has nothing visually appealing to it, or anything dynamic for that matter.
    Smashball is a cyber sport, who knows, maybe the final version will be the best it can get to, as far as gameplay goes. Graphics never mattered for chess, so why should it suddenly be accounted for video games? I'd say that some games might have gone past their peak already.

I'm just rambling, but what I was trying to say is that who knows what videogames will amount to in the far future, it could end up becoming an actual physical sport, or take over our lives as a whole, Obviously thats just dreaming, but I'd say that thinking that it will never advance beyond it's current shell is a little bit (IMO) short sighted thinking, even though you arguement it like a pro, theres so many ways for it to advance and that's what I was trying to say and it already has the qualities to obtain the perfect game design. Lot's of game designers of our age most likely started out designing board games, or atleast those that made our all time favourite games might have (I''m sure you could come up with a few big names yourself).
    For instance we haven't actually had any real evolution in input devices, particularly the the current weakpoint in video game design. Really, is a brushed up power glove evolution? OCZ NIA could be considered a huge leap forward, but lets say if it could do more than just allow you to assign functions to changes in bio signal, than eventually lots of the current limitations and mechanics that make video games as they are today would be removed by these input devices (instant aim? No actual strain on your stamina etc etc) and what would you end up with? Especially when you consider the last it would look like a game of Quake would suddenly turn into nothing more than a showcase of human incapability to improve :p

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  17. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Oh I'm not saying games will not advance anymore, not at all, I just think that certain games, or style of game within a genre, will eventually level out. Thats all. I think we are still decades away from that happening.

With regards to the 'death of the mouse' (as I heard it called yesterday) I don't think gesture technology is the future, for two reasons. One is using a mouse is easy. the weight of your arm and hand is supported. You can use a mouse form a lot longer than you can wiggle a Wiimote in the air, one is just more tiring than the other. The other is precision, I have not seen a gesture or touch screen device than has the same degree of pixel-perfect accuracy. Gesture and touch screen certainly has it's place, it's great for a lot of things, but until effortless mind control is in place I predict the mouse and keyboard and gamepad will be the interface of choice. Oh and keyboards are fast too. With practice anyone can type faster than they can dictate or prod with a stylus. Can't wait until I can think my forum posts onto the screen. :D

18. dizzyone

19. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

20. Trent

Trent Member

I agree with the OP.

After playing for about only two months, myself, have had enough of the crap on the game.

It's all griefing, and you try to voteban and people refuse to do anything.

So I am GONE unless something can be done to improve the rude people.