After a year in Empires, why keep playing?

Discussion in 'General' started by recon, Dec 2, 2008.

1. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

i wait for 2.2

2. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Make a map while you are waiting. that's what I'm doing. It's going pretty well so far. Beta works, and I know where to go from here.

3. recon

recon SM Support Dev

BSID hasn't had a scrim since I joined over 7 months ago.

If new players would get a mic, talk, listen, and learn, expert players wouldn't mind teaching or playing with them. The new players who drive CVs into the water, use jeeps, make standard vehicles when better research is available, steal vehicles, and tons of other stuff because they don't know any better or ask, is what gives "newbs" a bad name.

Empires Must Force Successful Completion of a Tutorial Level Before Allowing Them To Play Online.

IMHO that should've been the #1 priority when 2.2 was being developed.

Lots of people have suggested that the devs include a tutorial level. Why do you think? We've had it with the constant stream of idiotic teammates. It seems like you guys consider the enjoyment of your playerbase a lower priority than adding more features. Sure, we want features too, but we want this more. You can't build a house without a foundation.

I don't mean to offend the dev team. I am just stating my opinion. Empires is yours to do with what you will.

If Empires doesn't do that soon, players like me will leave and servers will close down because the admins no longer have an interest.

2.3 has to include some serious game play fixes, or this MOD will be in serious trouble.

Someone also has to spend 30 hours fixing all the map and game exploits so admins don't have to spend their life in spec watching commie go behind or under the map and blow stuff up.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  4. Empty

Empty Member

It was ghetting kind of stale for me, pwning nublets and sighing at stackers.

Then MAD scrimmed JPL for the first time, and I had some fucking good fun, mostly because it's actually a challenge.

And if I get sick of Empires, I know I can just go play fallout 3, or FEAR, or even obsidian conflict for a while.

Let me tell you now, there has been only one or two other games that have had more of an addictive effect than empires. Sure, you might enjoy L4D 75-90% of the time, but I bet you won't be playing it in a year, so, in the words of a wise man.
    Recon, QUIT YO JIBBAH JABBAH

5. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Valve will have released 4 new games by that time. Two of which will be okay, one of which will be the new worst game to ever come out of Valve (after TF2), and one, like L4D will be fun. That cycle will repeat itself over and over again, until I decide I have better things to do with my time than play computer games, and leave the cycle.

6. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

A couple of days ago when I was commanding on duststorm, I had one newb who couldn't follow the simple order to attack ANYTHING except the ruins. He spent most of the game suicidly rushing APCs into the ruins and chat-spamming 'SPAWN IN MY APC' and 'I NEED HELP AT THE RUINS'. Thankfully, the other team was ten times worse so we ended up winning (after about 30 minutes of mutually assured fail).

7. Empty

Empty Member

MAF, doesn't really have the same ring.

8. communism

communism poof

Empires is different every time you play it
    Sure some matches suck but the great fun you have during a good match is what keeps you going. If a noob has a bad first match he will obviously not be so grand about the mod but if he happens to stubble into a great match he will be hooked for ages

9. Avneet

Avneet Member

I have to disagree on having them do tutorial just to go online. That will not make us get new players. Sure we will have only good players now, but only of the players we already have. So we are talking one full server in one part of the world once in a while.

We have to find a different way. No person is going to download a mod and have it say you can't play online until you beat this long learning curve. It will deter them all 0_o

10. FN198

FN198 Member

Everyone here thats bitching has one or two things in common.

1. not in a clan
    2. not active in the clan they claim to be in

After assessing the conditions of the patients showing symptoms of bawww, I have formed my hypothesis. In order to gain a longer lasting enjoyment from this game, one must enter themselves into a clan.

Scrim often.

11. Empty

Empty Member

/agree

12. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Member

I'd rather DIE than join a clan!

Unless.. if a clan's vow was to make cheesy one-liners after each kill, hey, I'd join that.

13. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

I had that empires is boring phase after some time I played it too. left it for some time and realized how much I missed it. At the moment I'm thankful for every minute I can play because school is killing me and Emp is a big relief for me when I have the time to play it.

14. butter jam

butter jam Member

I wanna make a clan but i got no idea for name or how to make a website ,server etc.

15. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

a mandatory tutorial is what attracted me to the hidden. a mandatory tutorial will bring in people who at least have the intrest to learn a little about a game before playing.

is there a way to make a server plugin that could check if you have finished the tutorial? having tutorial mandatory servers, tutorial optional servers, and maybe even Super Tutorial mandatory servers could fix the problem.

16. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

If you make completing the tutorial levels an achievement then players will probably do it themselves (I expect that by the time the tutorial levels are finished Empires will use steamworks).

17. Rawh

Rawh Member

Why is it that any serious subject gets trolled that quickly on this forum?

Isn't there a single soul around that can keep serious about something or is it just the lack of attention they get when online?!

18. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Eh, L4D isn't that great of a game, after buying it, slaughtering through all the zombies I realized that I've done all this before except before I had chainsaws and hammers, so L4D .... was a waste of money for me. Empires on the other hand is fun but due what Recon's said, he's right it gets boring sometimes, I find myself saying "Fuck this, I'd prefer go do my homework."

19. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

I'm at loss as to where all this team stacking and griefing goes on. I very, very rarely see it. The only thing that spoils a game for me is a totally incompetent commander or team. I don't mind a crap com, I'm talking about the ones who cant even place a refinery until your are five minutes into the game. I like noobs on my team too, but when you get beyond a certain amount, you feel like you are taking on the enemy all by yourself.

These are minor issues for me though. I keep hearing about team stacking but I almost never see it. I keep playing Empires because no other online FPS has enough depth of gameplay to keep it interesting month after month. when you have been playing multiplayer FPS for nearly fiftteen years (holy crap! Has it really been fifteen years!?) you feel you've seen it all. Empires is always fresh, different play-styles, different tactics, every round. It's intelectually engaging, you need to be thinking about the bigger picture all the time. It's not like Quake when you can turn off your brain and go into a trance and ten minutes later, oh! you won! A year of playing and I'm still learning new things about the game.

20. butter jam

butter jam Member

Whenever i hear about stacking i check the teams and its usually 12-9 20-18 BE i see stacked the most for sum reason. besides the greifing which barely happens anymore and stacking that people cry over because one team has 2-3 more players im staying with empires its my favorite game plus the fact that we have much to look forward to coming out or not 2.2 better game engine 2.3 airplanes so i hear 3.0bigger fixes that might come with aircraft and new vehicles beyond that rumours are boats and so on