After a year in Empires, why keep playing?

Discussion in 'General' started by recon, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Empty

Empty Member

So that means if I research HEMGs to see how they fare, you won't bitch at me and make AFVs?

I want you on my team.

2. FN198

FN198 Member

welcome to murder city, im the mayor!

3. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Only one out of five games is a good one in Empires, that is my impression too. But that's exactly the difference between a polished game made by dozens of professional developers and a little mod made by a few idealists.

There is no game that will keep you entertained forever, if this mod has kept your interest a whole year, that's a pretty acomplishment.

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Pfft...it's sad really, 50% of the games could be better because blatantly half of it is down to the community. Noobs aren't half as much a cause as you'd like to believe.

It's funny because you whine and at the same time don't give a shit.

Yeah, I said it.

5. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

I'm looking for videogames that will keep me entertained for a lifetime, like Chess or Go, or martial arts and sports do. I think this will start to happen as graphical improvements start to level out and game styles reach perfection through iteration. (i.e. When Starcraft-style RTS gets to the point it seems impossible to make a better Starcraft-style RTS, or Quake-style deathmatch game, or whatever.) I think this will be the point when we can say videogames have matured, when people are so satisfied with a game that there is no financial or artistic justification for making a sequel or remake, or even another game in the same style under a different IP.

6. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

It's silly to compare media with a physical or mental discipline, you can't live on playing games.
    board games aren't sophisticated machines, and videogames aren't just board games, the things you're looking for are the things that represent videogames the least. I'm sure I could live on watching pulp fiction for the rest of my life, or reading neuromancer for the rest of my life. That would be a bit ignorant to do, they're here to stay forever, and are part of the advancement of the media as a whole, if people would stop bothering to advance in technology and simulation or story telling, I'm pretty sure it would be considered the end of the world.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You can fix that by simply not relying on the community, or the goodwill of players, or anything like that.

Never rely on players to do anything other than what is in their best interests at the time, and never rely on them to do complex thinking.

Tell them what's in their best interests, make it obvious, and then tell them how to do it as well, and make it easy and fun to do.

If people enjoy difficult games they'll find ways to make it difficult, and find ways to think about the game, but you should not require that.

A simple rule of thumb is that it's never the player's fault. If a player doesn't do what you want him to do, it's the designer's fault, the designer needs to then get off his arse and fix it. You work around players, you don't demand players change to suit you, that is neither fun nor practical on any sort of scale.

8. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

I think that the community should try to promote this mod a lot when 2.2 comes out. One of the biggest problems with this mod (and many others) is that there just aren't enough full servers. The more people you have playing a game, the more choice you'll have when you go looking at the serverlist. Sure, you're going to get a lot of noobs at first, but not all noobs are bad. Plus, when theres more full servers to choose from, its really the server admins that control the kind of players that join. If a server has a strict, no-bullshit policy, then i think more vets will go there, whereas you'll have noob servers with little rules that the (duh) noobs will flock towards. Basically, we need to get more people to play this mod if we want the community to improve.

9. butter jam

butter jam Member

I'm trying to promote it now im askin everyone on my friends list to try it out and tell their friends.

10. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

I'm in a clan and active in it yet i also agree with recon.

11. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I don't think I've ever heard of a USK scrim with anyone, so that might be it.

It's been tried before. I wrote a plugin that would quiz players when the connected, if they failed to answer some basic Empires questions, they were kicked.

The plugin worked fine, but the server didn't catch on.

12. Spooky

Spooky Member

Think of how noobs like me feel.. I would love to beta test empires but I can't, so I just go around mastering the game as a pubber.. then I found exploiting, and I have the most fun on empires in almost every game.

13. recon

recon SM Support Dev

You and that other cheese guy. Which one of you did I ban? I can't remember.

14. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

I shouldnt need to scrim everyday for the game to be fun.... And USK doesnt scrim because most of our community are steam haters.

15. recon

recon SM Support Dev

What does that mean ^.^ ?

16. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

They should both be perm banned he just comes on and goes through displacements and kills people/tries to kill enemy comm while claiming hes a tester.

17. Angry

Angry Junior Member

You only play because you have no fucking life Recon.

18. Cad

Cad Member

If you think that Empires has a high learning curve,
    try playing http://www.freeallegiance.org/

Now that is a learning curve!

Empires is:

"Ooh, a gunz, lets point the pointy end at those dudes over there and press teh button!"

compared to it.

The above mentioned game has a manual... and it clearly says all over the site and even ingame that u should rtfm!

So Empires basicly needs a good fm and an ingame, singleplayer tutorial. The problem is that devs probably wont have time to do them. So it's up to the community to volunteer.

PS 2.2 is basicly a move to the orange box,+ some weapons/bugfixes issues.
    2.3 will be a new HUD. since the devs wont have time to do the tutorial, some1 shoulda do it

PPS not me I suck at coding

PPPS lets make some1 do it by whining at this some1 on the forums :p

19. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Get me their Steam IDs.

20. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

a while ago i tried my hand at maping to try and make a tutorial level, but i realised mapping sucks, and gained a new respect for all empires mappers.

if you are looking to make a map, but dont have any ideas try makeing a tutorial map.