Addommondȗl, "Cloistergrave" the Succession Fortress

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pickled_heretic, Nov 29, 2009.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

no it isnt, well not as bad as it was when i got it

1 year was just enough to make it functional, not to make it oiled and spinning like a beetle car

if you can inprove go ahead, but please also update the squad groupings?

2. Zeke

Zeke Banned

edit: i notice a fk ton of spelling errors and incorrect grammar... but i cant bother to fix it atm. lol

Been sitting a few HOURS in the freeking U list now... :pathetic:

DONE NONE THE LESS! (and thank god for that!)
    i even found a peasant without any form of labor named tun... (and no, it was not a player named character)

Notes:
    L = Legendary
    Semi-Hauler = the person only does lighter types of hauling such as wood, furniture etc... iow shit which wont happen often

Rock Related
    Miners/Mason/Engrave: 3 (3 L mining)
    Miners: 4 (3 L mining)
    Mason/Engraver: 2 (dedicated shops to keep the rtarded miners away)
    Gem setter/cutter: 1 (L setter)
    Animal Related
    Animal Caretaker/Hauler: 1
    Animal Trainer/Hauler: 1
    Trapper/Hauler: 1
    Animal Dissector/Hauler: 1
    Metaljob Related
    Weaponsmith: 1
    Armorsmith: 1
    Blacksmith/Hauler: 1
    Metalcrafter/hauler: 1
    Adamantite extractor/Hauler: 1
    Furnance Operators: 5 (+hybrid noted further down)
    Crafting Related
    Woodcrafter/Carpenter/Hauler: 1 (L woodcrafter)
    Woodcrafter/Hauler: 1 (L woodcrafter)
    Glassmaker/Hauler: 1
    Stonecrafter: 2
    Leatherworker/semi-Hauler: 1
    Tanner/Hauler: 1
    Bonecrafter/semi-Hauler: 1 (L Bonecrafter)
    Weaver/Clothier: 1 (L weaver)
    Weaver/Hauler: 2
    Clothier: 1
    Water Related
    Fish Dissector/Hauler: 1
    Fish Cleaner/Hauler: 1
    Fisherdwarfs/Hauler: 2 (fishing inactive due to lack of aquarium)
    Plant/Food Related
    Farmer: 4 (2 L, 1 almost L)
    Farmer/Tresher: 1
    Soaper/Lye Maker/Wood Burner/Potash Maker/Hauler: 1 (neither of this skills will be used much due to lack of natural wood)
    Cook: 1
    Cook/Semi-Hauler: 1 (food hauling only)
    Miller/Hauler: 1
    Butcher/Furnance Operator: 1
    Dyer/Hauler: 1
    Brewer: 2
    Machanics Related
    Pump Operator/Hauler: 2
    Mechanic/Hauler: 2
    Siege Engineer/Hauler: 1
    Siege Operator/hauler: 1
    Faggotry Related
    Clerk: 1
    Philosopher: 1
    Dungeon Master: 1
    Captain of the Guard: 1... and he is a fkin douche.
    Military Related
    Marksmen: 3
    Ranged: 7 (inc marksmen doing wrestling atm to boost stats)
    Melee: 4 (inc melee soldiers doing wrestling atm to boost stats)
    Axedwarfs: 2
    Speardwarf: 1
    Macedwarf: 3
    Hammerdwarf: 0
    /////////////////
    Suggested inc melee setup: 3 axe, 3 spear, 4 mace/hammer (they are both the same)
    currently all soldiers without a melee weapon in their hand is training.
    /////////////////
    DRONES: 39
    HYBRID-DRONES: 22
    SEMI-DRONES: 3
    TOTAL DRONES: 64

So rejoice citizen of Oddommondul, the 3 legendary wood crafters dont need to compete over the sparse wood materials against the 4 other retarded failcrafters... and shit like that...

About 20 seconds have now passed from the moment Zeke stepped into the fortress... yet months of administration work seem to have magically happend...
    *takes a break/eat and prepare for the inc building project*
    lol

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i usually have a similar setup, save for that i have dedicated haulers for everything, but i thought it would not be worht to set up since people will mess it up within months of ingame time and it would be too much time, so i chose for a more flexible solution

also list them with squads and add an extra cook and brewer plz (because if one dies, and people dont notice -_-)

with the military i would suggest having hammerdwarfs, crossbowdwarfs and small sword dwarfs

small swords are cheap to make steel quality (with obsidian), and marksdwarfs and hammerdwarfs benefit both from crosstraining (equip both with a steel crossbow when sieged)

all the other weapons are inferior anyway (besides for axes, but we dont have trees so i woudnt suggest it)

also dont crosstrain with wreasling, you have the chance of creating legendaries and thats very limiting, i suggest crosstraining with pump operating (a civ skill, trains one of the quickest of all if you make a gym)

4. Drag

Drag Member

Zeke, you could have used Dwarf Manager...

5. Zeke

Zeke Banned

*facepalm*

Right, who is the wise guy who set up a mason shop infront of the archery targets...
    dont grief like that ;P

Also you got it completely wrong in regards of weaponry....

This is how it works:
    Flails/Morningstars & warhammers is win against weak targets who easily gets crushed... since it does the most raw dmg... yet almost purely external... so against a titan etc it performs porly, yet a goblin get 1shooted.

Spears & Crossbows is win against massive dragons and what not becouse it pierce to the inner organs which can lead to instant deaths... on the other hand its completely utterely shit against undead and spears is kinda bad against hordes of weak goblins... but spears is the #1 weapon and is by far superior when it comes down to dealing with large shit though.
    spears tend to get stuck in combat, yet if the dwarf has high wrestling he use his skill and twist the spear in his enemy while he fight... which makes them pass out due to pain.

Axes & Swords are choppy choppy and cuts off body limbs... which totally devastate the opponent if it happends (or instantkill if its the head), its "ok" against weak units (but better than spears) and its "ok" against very powerfull ones (but better than blunt stuff)... its ftw zone is against medium targets. which both the others are "ok" against.
    they tend to get stuck from time to time like the spear, but not as often.

and swords smell, just so you know. :D

Annnnddd.... i got plans on making all the 20 soldiers champs, keeping mediocre soldiers doesnt work without casulties... which is a unnecassairy element of a fortress unless its some badass thing attacking or a huge siege.

once basic training is done all ya need to do is to setup 2 squads, 5 melees/5 ranged in both.
    keep one on alert and one training.
    that way you get horribly powerfull champs in no time.

and finally... i got no plans what so ever on allowing a goblin sneak past the 20 champions... hence i dont need any stupid backup cook/brewer >_>

there is a reason why you dont put weapons in half-assed trained civilian soldiers hands and assign them to the frontline... THEY DIE.

6. Zeke

Zeke Banned

Rightie, elf caravan appeared... along with getting slaughtered 5 sec later due to an ambush occuring at the same time (unless they were there before the elfs)

[​IMG]
    (and no, thats not my dwarfs, its rogue ones)

now the question is, which of the 6 (or more?) levers is connected to the bridge?

7. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

i was wondering about that one too

if you ever plan on using that fancy defence ,place ammo stockpile there ,not half of fortress away (and get quivers)

8. Zeke

Zeke Banned

rightie, i ask once again, does anyone know which lever operates the gate?
    (i'll assume its atleast not the 3 top ones by the water)
    yet i dont want to pull any of the 3 down below either since i know 2 of them will do something i dont wish for.... and a flooded fortress wouldnt be nice.

edit: i figured out which one it was by trying to link them to bridges.... for future referense: its the one most to the right.

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i posted schematics further back in the thread

http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=11271&page=7

all links are told about, i suggest adding to it with your own schematics when making changes or adding to it

also the trick of using mediocre archers is placing them at an inacessable part of the fortress that has a fortification on the entrance, nothing will pass guaranteed when larger sieges start to happen

generally i only use 3 or 4 legendaries even at late game, and they mostly are axedwarven guarding the inner entrance for when some critter did pass the rain of arrows, but its rarely happen

10. Zeke

Zeke Banned

never tried adamantite champs or machinegun marksdwarfs? :confused:

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yes, i found them terribly unpredictable

ether 4/5th of the army is sleeping or drinking or admiring stuff or a dragon comes by and flames your hero with a sneeze

i even had one fall into a well once and break his neck while doing so, and one die randomly while sparring with a recruit

if they get injury or anything, they end up staying months in the infirmary or needing water and when you have stuff like a cut off leg happen to them they are basically worthless

they are awesome, but you have to put all your fruit in one basket... even if you have 6 or 7 adamantine champs if you lose one for whatever reason you just lost 1/6th of your army, while you can have the same force if not more with 40 proficient marksdwarven and always at least 30 will be on guard when you need them, together with providing better overall protection in your fortress against tantrums or w/e

additionally, making our dwarven active in the military increases control over them, and less civvies will die by wandering in the fireline

12. Zeke

Zeke Banned

who said i'd bring only 6 ada champs?

as i said before, i dont bring a few real soldiers and rely on civs like you do :P

when i got champs, i got backup for them aswell... in form of more champs xD
    it's like a double army in short with the power of the sun lol.

only the melee champs got the ada armor and with em you keep the steel crossbow champs... which are behind fortifications ofc ^_^
    and i think you missed a very very important point.... the adamantite armor dont "die" with the soldier, i just requip it on one of the other champs.
    assign adamantite armor to be stored in a 3x3 room, make the champ into a oneman squad, send him in there, lock the doors, tell him to drop all armor, then demand him to put armor on once again. :)
    woalla, instant dress change ^_^
    in the same way you can avoid 4/5th of the army sleeping and what not as you put it... if the silly group leader wanna sleep, then you assign someone else as the leader... or simply dont make any groups at all.
    btw... i think you should read http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Traffic

its very usefull to keep civs out of harms way :)

also since im heading off to bed atm i may aswell ask so i know when i wake up... Do we murder nerv-damaged people or let them lie in koma for 50 years? (since we had 2 from before)
    assigning them to a 1x1 room and locking the door does wonders and allow the workers to worry about more important matters.

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

lock them up and give them a glorious tomb with carvations

also zeke, dont get me wrong your method works... but i prefer using conscripts and mercenaries then dedicated armies, they can make themselves usefull then when there is no war

basically my bother with your way is, if you have lets say 10 to 15 heroes, they will claim the best room, the best stuff, the best meals, the best drinks

and they will only drag you down while the fortress is at peace

then at war they roundhousekick some goblins and the process repeats

14. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

This is a succession fortress, not a community fortress. Run the fort as you see fit. You might kill paralyzed dwarves, the next person might not.

The only thing we have to decide together is editing the raws/init files/mods.

15. Nattaboy

Nattaboy Member

Unfortunately, i will likely be unable to take my year, as I will not have access to a dwarf fortress-capable device for the next week and a bit. (hooray IPod touch!)

16. Zeke

Zeke Banned

ambush retaliated...
    Unfortunetly a new recruit lied unconcious in the battlefield and bleed heavily and therefor perished... along with 2 dogs which were located at the entrance.
    the champion picked a perfect time to take a nap during the ambush...
    +i realised that one of the people in the military actually lacked a spine since before i started and therefor relieved him from duty. (sadly enough he was one of the group leaders... i thought they were training in the barrack... yet they just stared at their paralyzed leader)
    However... the enemy dwarfs at the ambush carried some neat steel armor which our own soldiers now have.

Gained a legendary LW thanks to the strange mood.

The fortress became a county, which includes a tax collecter, hammerer and countess... + a big bunch of migrants. 2 were soldiers (axie and markie) O.o

Due to lack of ore (currently in search for more) i set the furnance operators refuse hauling on.

one of the macedwarfs splattered into pieces due to a fatal hit from one of the axedwarfs ='(
    the stairs in the barrack was the cause, i forgot about -dodge due to it... therefor some walls and a door were built around it.

later on the fortress gained yet another civilization level and became duchy aswell... which equals more anoying nobles.

annnnddd the king will arrive with his royal guards and what not once we make some offerings to the next dwarf caravan (DONT FORGET IT :o) and pave some roads. (easily done)

Whats need to be done:
    placement and creation of furniture (especially the dining hall)
    offer stuff to the caravan (hint: finished goods, there is enough to make the full offering)
    Pave roads
    Fix the defenses (too sleepy to bother with it)
    Fix nobles rooms and just rooms in general (once again, cant bother with it)
    Sort out the mandates (blargh i hate nobles)
    Check for ore on the Z level below the current gridnet.
    Gather more adamantite... yet be cautious about it... demons aint nice and if u strike into a demon chasm... barricade it and mine all around it. (the current soldiers aint ready for boss type demons in long narrow tunnels... also dont craft anything, its gonna be shit quality without a legendary smith)

also... did this zone by any chance have the label Serene?
    no ambushs, no sieges... nothing. :eek:
    (except that 3 group ambush right when i started)
    i r dissapoint. :(

oh ye, brewing and cooking is OFF.
    2000 of each is more than enough for our dwarfs and last over 3 years without interferance >_>

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FILES

*heads off to the worldgen editor and design a world with 9999 mega beasts on it and 100% savagery/evil to make up for the lack of combat*
    lawl ^^

edit: oh ye, a clothier got whacked by the hammerer for hurting the major apparantly (i missed it and couldnt put any armor on him), so assign a new one.
    edit#2: ya may consider obtaining another bone crafter in order to get even more bolts to train with. (metal bolts doesnt work for training)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  17. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

While you're gone leave your computer running DF and a VNC server. You can use an iPod Touch VNC client to play remotely :D

18. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Majortom is up. He's got a week to take his turn.

19. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

a whole week? :o

20. Zeke

Zeke Banned

sadly enough... yes.

suggestion: when a person is sick or what not, then the people after him take their turns and he take the first available turn once he isnt occupied anymore.