Addommondȗl, "Cloistergrave" the Succession Fortress

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pickled_heretic, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Zeke

Zeke Banned

i'll quote.

ALSO.... im disgusted by the LACK of military in this fortress, i expected atleast a single well equiped squad (be it by skill or equipment... either works) when the population is near siege limits.
    The Siege limits is 80 pop
    this is when it start... and it never stops from this point and gets stronger per siege... it doesnt matter if you progress or not... it gets stronger each time which force you to progress at the same rate in terms of military...
    if you lose 50% of ur military at the first siege but survive, then you wont make it on the 2nd unless you do a mass recruition.
    75 is the population at the save...
    The only reason the fortress isnt already raped by ambush attacks is due to the horribly poor wealth of it... despite the large population.

Cloud if there was a lack of military before you, then you did a excellent job, i congratulate you for increasing the ammount of soldiers... what i dislike though is the fact there is about 25 other mouths to feed in the fort which are doing fk all...

there is almost a complete lack of usage of the Z levels aswell guys... think in 3 dimensions people... if you got a perfect fort (atleast the economical parts), then its a sphere in a mountain. (with its most important and most visited places in the center... iow beds, food and meeting halls.

if a workshop person has to walk over 60 tiles to reach his bed and 60 back to the shop... then another 60 when he is hungry... then another 60 back...
    then thats 240 tiles... of walking... which is a fk ton of time.
    (thankfully far less when he goes to the well... due to lack of booze. >_>)

also, you can easily place a pump near the chasm to pump up water... it doesnt rise to 7/7 and beyoned since it constantly falls down into the abyss... so setting up irrogation again is simple.

There is a fk ton of bad things in the fortress... dont go so heavy on cloud.

For one... lets say a giant toad or a giant olm swim by in your underground river... hell even a cave crocodile is enough...
    *Smash door* = the farms quickly overflow with water and all of a sudden you got no way to produce food. GG.
    (this assumes you actually manage to stop the flooding by sealing off a part of ur population to save the rest... you may get fully wiped out)
    any water or magma source used must ALWAYS be blocked with fortifications first, othervise you will be royally screwed once building destroyer creatures arrive.
    and by building destroyer, then i mean the following ones:

[BUILDINGDESTROYER 1] creatures:
    * Giant cave spider
    * Cave crocodile (swim)
    * Giant desert scorpion
    * Giant olm (swim)
    * Giant toad (swim)
    * all Undead (they always swim in water, sometimes lava... sometimes they even fly... and water creatures walk on land)

these destroy hatches, doors, supports, statues, windows and archery targets only
    quite harmless in comparison to the next...

[BUILDINGDESTROYER 2] creatures:

* Bronze colossus
    * Cyclops
    * all Demons (some fly and all survive in magma+water)
    * Dragon (swims in lava and water)
    * Ettin
    * Fire man (swim in lava)
    * Giant
    * Hydra (swim in water)
    * Iron man (swim in water)
    * Magma man (swim in lava)
    * Minotaur
    * Mud man
    * Treant
    * Troll
    if any of the swimming ones happends to spawn and take the route through the lava/water and you didnt put fortifications up... GG.
    these guys break anything which is not listed in the b+c menu.

anywayz... GOOD JOB WITH THE MILITARY! xD

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

soo are we keeping this, waiting one year to end or moving to another one
    (possibly warmer and with sand on it)

3. Cloud

Cloud Member

Actually... try comparing the military of the two saves..
    The only useful thing i did was a f00d buff.

And there is a lever that activates the door.

Ninjazeke :<
    WE STAY! WE SHALL NOT SURRENDER TILL WE DIE!

4. Zeke

Zeke Banned

THEN IM DISSAPOINT

and now im proud again xD

5. Z100000M

well its kind of lame that it goes so damn slow and when it finally reacheas me its fubar

6. Zeke

Zeke Banned

well... if you turn a few citizen into popsicles (rofl), then ya wont reach the 80 population siege mode barrier and then it should be salvagable.

Yet the whole infrastructure would need to be redone i guess... which takes a year or 2 ^_^

(i'd personally prefer another fortress in another climate though, cave dwelling forever due to the cold is kinda dull, it limits the long term potentials of a fortress)

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i redid most of the infrastructure in 2 months, sucsessfully repelled a siege without a single trap or casualty, also all the legendaries where eating in the grand diner

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i got food and alcuhol productions working great now, also weaving industry works, average idlers is 1-5 (keep it that way goddammit)

also i got a good military working, the trick is to not get them to legendary, but really close

legendary's are cool and all, but they cant work, and dwarves that dont work are useless, so i tend to give my entire fortresses military training and weapons, but i turn there shifts around once they attain near-legendary

traps should be the primary defences at all times, a layer of 5 traps is great, also marksdwarven, i tend to not want to use my meelee dwarves untill it is absolutely nessesary, so i generally place them inside the corridor leading to the civilian part, and my marksdwarven in the barracks with sight on

edit: done, the fortress is basically fully functional and defended

[​IMG]

pulling the switch in the picture above makes the bridges dissapear and so the invaders have a harder time getting in the fortress, (more time for archers to fire, less chance in invaders ganging up on military dwarven because they have to walk the thin path

[​IMG]
    a level higher archers can fire on the heads of goblins while the enemy cant even fire back (this is the best position for your marksdwarven)

[​IMG]

our economy part 1, red colored area is tower cap farm, trees will spawn and you can cut them (the crafters are clearing up the parts that are filled with rock since rocks prevent trees to grow)

the green coloured part is our web farm, here spiders will make webs and dwarfs will harvest, dont let to many cats in there!!!!!

red lines show each lever and what it is attached to (if needed)

circled doors should remain CLOSED at all times, they are locked atm

[​IMG]

economy part 2, yellow is our rock economy, black is our cloth economy blue is our lether and butching economy (the puppy dogs, but be carefull not to butcher too many at a time, let there numbers grow to at least 20 wardogs that will never get butchered)

pink is food and alcohol economy, check regulary if this still runs!!! since we need more barrels from time to time the brewers may stop, and after that the kitchens stop

green is our barrel/bin economy, it is at a standstill in our safe, because we are out of wood make sure to buy some next caravan! also tower cap wood!

the brownish levers are legendary crafts, they are to fancy up the dungeon masters room

[​IMG]

these dwarven with crossbows assigned (mostly peasants or crappy skilled) are emergency marksmen, they should receive basic training, cheapass crossbows and when averagely skilled (proficient or w/e, just dont make em hero's) should be turned back into haulers to serve the fortress

there are 3 of these huge squads, but the fortress relies on at least 2 of these squads at one time as haulers

[​IMG]

TO DO;

SORT/MAKE THE BEDROOMS AND MAKE BEDS
    MAKE THE NOBLES HAPPY
    TRAIN THE MARKSDWARVEN THAT ARE ASSIGNED (craft bone arrows)
    MAKE MORE BARRELS

this is my end settings, 1 year after i started

Emergency city manager Blizzerd confidently, but tired starts his journey back to his home town from where he was summoned by the mayor, just before getting on his way, he presses the "lock" button on the town key, and tosses it back into the hands of the next mayor

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1415325/foto/cloisteredgrave-blizzerd.rar

"weird place", he mumbles, weird place...

9. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

kudos to you, you're a better dwarf than I am :D

Though may I suggest an emergency portcullis system and an external trade depot with an airlock system.

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yea, in the save there are again a lot of idlers this is because just before i saved migrants came and i had to assign them hastefuly

also i dont know what the first is and the second seems like a bad idea because the trade depot is part of our defences ^^

11. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I've already stated this once - someone broke the ramp stairs when they dug out the squares around one level of the ramps. This can be easily fixed by rebuilding walls behind the ramps and rebuilding the ramps.

From what I understand, as soon as a door is linked to a lever, it becomes practically indestructible.

12. Z100000M

blizz, were you playing for empty, or will he still take his turn?

im pretty confused now

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

and placing 2 in 1 corridor and locking both makes the creature unable to see the path it could take by destroying both doors, thus making it react as if it where walls

edit; i played for varbles to fix it, he gave up because the fortress was fucked but it seems empty is sick so he should skip his turn or we should wait for it i dunno

14. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

You're jumping the gun. Empty has a week to play his turn. If he's too sick to finish his turn in a week we'll move to the next person. Otherwise, he has to opt out.

As far as playing for varbles, I don't think that was the right thing to do either. We can't have pros playing for people who think it's too hard or else we'll break continuity. If I had my way I would have made varbles finish his turn and however good the fortress was is what empty would use but it is varble's choice to opt out if he wants.

It's up to empty. he can either use cloud's save or your save or skip his turn. By the way, I modded it to have a 100 pop cap so someone is fucking with the init files or using their own. Please copy the original init file and make edits where you see necessary rather than using one that you modded beforehand.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yea, i noticed that too, i cut the save out and pasted it in what you originally gave to me, so it should be fine now

16. MajorTom

MajorTom Member

Someone should make a pressure washer

17. Empty

Empty Member

Why the hell are people playing my turn?

Ugh, whatever, I resign my turn this round.

18. Zeke

Zeke Banned

are we gonna make a trap fortress.....?
    seriously?
    in that case ill drop from this game, i got no interest in building fortresses who rely on 200 traps as defense.

i consider it cheating.

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

THERES NOT A SINGLE TRAP IN THE FORTRESS

chill out zeke, there are some captured goblins though

since empty resigned from this round, i suggest zoom picks a save to play from

20. Z100000M

well, judging from what blizzerd provided, , ill take his save

its ~1 am so expect an update in.. .umm... 14 hours?