Addommondȗl, "Cloistergrave" the Succession Fortress

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pickled_heretic, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Zeke

Zeke Banned

2. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Holy shit bliz you know how to organize.

3. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Can we keep this about the succession fortress? there are 2-3 other dwarf fortress threads.

4. Zeke

Zeke Banned

sorry xD

5. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

And again I repeat:

This is as bad as when people went nuts over ogame.

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

k ,im into in now
    how i turn on a diffrent tileset without breaking pickled's init that he's been bitching about
    acscii hurts my eyes even more than the fucking mw2 blood

when i tried to copy the custom files from my backup the main screen is all nonenonenone and i cant do shit

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  7. Cloud

Cloud Member

Check the DF threads on here, one explains it i believe.

8. Zeke

Zeke Banned

pasting my graphics and init to the pack provided didnt work for me sadly enough, maydays latest version contains certain modifications to the game to allow certain improvements in graphic.
    However, taking the save files over to a copy of your own game works.
    as long as you have no region of the same #... if you do, then simply download an extra copy of the game with ur tilesets installed and paste over the savefiles there instead.

actually... its probably the easiest to just keep a special "clean" version of DF for the succesion games for easy edits later...

what ya need to bring (from what i remember by doing it at like 4 in the morning)
    is:
    gamelog.txt
    region1-world_gen_param.txt
    region1-world_history.txt
    region1-world_sites_and_pops.txt
    (all 4 located in the mainfolder of the game)
    and also the complete save folder from the data section.

moving all those + using Mayday's tileset will make it work. (i assume this is what you use)

9. Z100000M

ok so im in by now

blizz do you mind uploading the RECENT file, not the old

that is unless you killed 100 dwarfs in the last turn, or im blind enough not to see the provided link

its even older than your old screenshots

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

11. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

If you paste over the old init file, please make sure the baby and population caps are set to 100.

12. Zeke

Zeke Banned

*sadness*

13. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I wouldn't have a problem with a 200 pop fort, if close consideration is made to animal pathing efficiency. However, my computer is quite good compared to many others, and I doubt the animals will be managed well, so we agreed to a 100 pop cap before the fortress was started.

We should also figure out whether or not no rent should be turned on, because we'll be activating the economy pretty soon.

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

does it matter that much? i dug out bedrooms with rent in mind (some cheap ones, most of them averages, some big ones and then some ultras for nobles)

15. Z100000M

im really in, finally

big kudos goes to the designer, efficient hallways ftl

16. Z100000M

progress update-o post
    diary entry- spring
    log#1

ehh, first day in this freezing hellhole, it will take some time getting used to ne conditions

i see that previous owners were quite lazy, their dwarf puppets have no names which makes it a little difficult to tell one from another ,especially if on does other job that he was orginally intended to do
    log 2#
    possesed woodcrafter, lets see what will be the result

lack of furnace operates crippled the metal industry, i had to hold the production of the pimp gold barrels and start digging the place of in search of new vains
    log 3#
    at least 27 dorfs are slacking at any time , yet we still have none to deal with the corpses

log4#
    i was a little worried about our possesed pal lately, he nearly punched one the other dorfs just to lay his hands on the tower cap log

log5# human wagons at our gates, hurray!

it took some time to move all those stuff around, i bough pearlash (for whatever reason it was ordered), charcoal for steel and a really fucking enourmous supply of wood
    log6# more trading ,more moving things from the stock pile
    possesed guy wasted a tower cap on a scepter. shame.

log7# goblin axeman somehow got out of the cage and started scaring dorfs around the forge. Luckily for us he has a soft hearth for puppies. They, on the other hand, dont

diary entry-summer

log1#hauling hauling hauling, the previous owner surely ordered alot of stuff

other than that, digging diggin diggin, sorting out the bedrooms and other shit
    log2#
    ordered leather bags, wooden barrels and bins, decoration continues

diary entry-autumn

log1# same shit, the distance between food stockpile, craft pile and trade depo is so long and inefficient it takes ages and much dwarfpower to haul all that crap
    about 100 logs spent in one month, tower caps grow extremely sloow

log2# another caravan, it seems that the previous owner had no idea about the crappy hallway desing and ordered alot of stuff that wouldnt be hauled in 3 years, yaawn

log3# finally some action... a goblin ambush.. those wrestlers surely stand a chance

log4# shit... the bridge defence is filled with holes like a swiss cheese, and pretty much like all the x-dorfs, someone forgot to make quivers... and i though the military was done .. fuck

log5# crisis is no more, thank god for the merchants bodyguards else we would be screwed because of the totally failed ammo stash placement

log6# another ambush , 2 dog casualties and a dorf
    log7# 2 dorfs, one mysteriously died on stairs (??)
    log8# one dorf, the other is constantly getting unconsious and thristy, he ill prolly die sooner or later
    log9# last party ended in a bad way, miasma from the food storage below it hit again, tantrums anyone?
    log10# found a new gold and cobalite vain

LOG11#
    EPIC FAIL

there was a sneaky master thief that got past defences, dorfs started (like 30 of them) chase him around the tower caps, ended in a whole lot of dorfs getting killed by olmman in a stream becuase of pro-dodging.. sigh

diary entry- winter

1st moonstone
    log#0

ummm, uhhhh, ..... shit...

http://img134.imageshack.us/i/beztytuuwa.jpg/

log1#

mason just fell into a mood and created a door.. well it would be al games and play if not for the miller that destroyed it minutes after

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

zoom, i use military squads to organise dwarfs

they are squadded up according to function, the leader mostly is the same as any member of his squad, and if not he can do more (for example, can both cook and brew, if his subordinates can only cook, then another squad will also have a cook and brew leader with only brewers as subordinates)

its far easier in my opinion as you can list people together

18. Z100000M

im done, it took me weirdly a loong fucking time

roundup:

-mined some shafts
    -adamantium
    -lots of bins and barrels
    -cleared tower cap farm area

lost 2 dogs
    ~10 (?) dorfs

to do

-traps, i mean ,really soldier alone are not worth much in here
    -fix the goddamn bridge entrance
    -change the stockpiles, current placement fails hard and creates unrest
    -stop ordering overground seeds dammit
    http://rapidshare.com/files/316417516/region7.rar.html

19. Zeke

Zeke Banned

*stare at the champ, marksdwarf, axedwarf and elite wrestler*

so.... out of the massive population, who are the RELIABLE soldiers with training? (iow not emp_recruits)
    since they all got bloody weapons turned on...

and by the looks of it.... there aint a single freeking close quarter soldier....
    wtf?
    there is a single axedwarf active... and he got a crossbow turned on...
    except that, there is not a single soul with melee weapons turned on except the woodcutters (woodcutters on a ice map? wat?) who also lack any form of armor.

if the crossbowmen were semi trained as hammerdwarfs in order to increase the melee dmg and also having steel crossbows... then id understand...
    but thats not the case.

this fort really has no army nor reliable defense...

the champ who patrolls by the gate defenses is patrolling by the very far back of it... if its an ambush the goblins walk a huge length of the defense before even spotted, forming resistance takes time and the only way to reach the weapon crates is by being at the very frontlines...

anyway, for the next attack i need to know which soldiers who got training... and im not gonna go through the whole population list and inspecting them individually each time... so considering you used up every single citizen in squads so there is no way to tell blizzerd... plx tell me who is usefull.

20. Zeke

Zeke Banned

meh fk it, ill go through the whole population and optimize things.... the economical part is messed up aswell...