Addommondȗl, "Cloistergrave" the Succession Fortress

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pickled_heretic, Nov 29, 2009.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i run fortresses with 200+ dwarfs on a steady 60 fps

2. Zeke

Zeke Banned

nerf :o

my units movement are slowed down when i got too many dwarfs :(

(the rest of the comp doesnt lagg though... f.ex. i can run a movie next to DF and the movie remain at high fps)

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

thats because dwarven fortress has a limit to howmuch it will use of the processor, its a safety switch to prevent A; superspeed dwarfs when your computer can run it easily and B; prevent your pc tubes clogging the OS when a lot of stuff is rendered

its an attribute of proper coding

4. Zeke

Zeke Banned

but it only use 1 of my 4 cores leaving me with more than plenty of capacity left... it makes me sadden.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

if you use windows there is a partial way around by setting it up as high priority

i bet rampantandroid can help you with that

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

i suppose that your quad cores combined with each other when you put them into an oven

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i never put the quad cores in ovens

i just have a very good computer because of work

i just found it comedical that a game that looks like dwarf fortress needs so much power ^^

8. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Well its not wasting the computing power on useless graphics, but doing something useful with it.

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

exactly, although i woudnt mind if they code in a "global memory" for the dwarven, whereas they remember what path previous dwarfs used and build on that to get somewhere, it would lighten the pathing cycle (the main slower when you have lots of dwarfs)

10. Empty

Empty Member

Yeah but then if it picks a retarded path your dwarves are stuck with it.

It would be kinda funny though when you put in a new tunnel to ease traffic and the dwarves don't use it out of habit (for a while)

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

woudnt real people not do exactly the same?

im thinking about a variable that uses the how "traditional" a dwarf is to calculate how often he will use the old trusted path

freethinking dwarfs will use the normal pathing cycle more often, as they find it fun to explore, when they finished to there destination, a route will be drawn consisting of 15 to 30 tile paths, using the path means the dwarf will walk from tile 1 to tile 30, then check "do i want to take the next path, or do i want to start using normal walking routine again?" if it takes normal walking routine from there, he will in turn draw an alteration path from the previous ending point, if a certain path isn't used for an entire season it dissapears

also im not thinking about a path is the road from start to finish, but more like a 15-30 tile path that ends where another 15-30 tile path starts

because of these strips of 15 to 30 tile paths, dwarfs will occasionally run past a corridor and then go back on there steps a few paces when using the next path, but as soon as a dwarf finds a more economical route (by not passing by the corridor) everyone will take the more economical new route

this could make the pathing cycle 25% lighter if you have a 50% traditional dwarf population, and it kinda makes sense too, people do it just the same if not less organised

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  12. Cloud

Cloud Member

*Bump*

Fortress update?
    If it fucked up we could start a new one in an easier environment, and perhaps use dig deeper?

13. Zeke

Zeke Banned

Suggestion: begin the fortress in a terrifying climate, with magma vein, water source, flux stones and 500 size CAVE >:)

and a chasm and/or demon pit just for the hell of it xD

14. Cloud

Cloud Member

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

:( this died

16. Zeke

Zeke Banned

*blame the people ignoring their turns*

17. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Yeah that's right. It's time for a little discipline, I think. I'm going to remove Majortom and Nattaboy from the rotation. Should we have empty take his turn now, or should we start the 2nd round?

18. Zeke

Zeke Banned

definetly 2nd round.
    gief a "fun" enviroment ^_^

and by fun i mean the DF type xD

edit: get some max sized caves and then enbark on the corner of the cave tiles... that way u get _all_ the inhabitants despite only seing a small part of the cave (which means u can get all the normal stuff on the map aswell) :D
    +make sure to stop the clock at like... year 10 or something... more mega beasts that way :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  19. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

please ,please,please give the first 2 years to exp. players

i have no interest in playing in such badly designed fort like the first one was.

20. Zeke

Zeke Banned

/agree