Addommondȗl, "Cloistergrave" the Succession Fortress

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pickled_heretic, Nov 29, 2009.

1. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I think the minor exploits like quantum stockpiles and dwarven atom smashers should be fine if you feel like you must use them, but we do have a small chasm (waterfall) and the magma if you want to dump them instead.

Use your best judgment for exploits (I personally even consider cooking booze to be an exploit but I wouldn't enforce that on others) but any 3rd party utility that modifies the game is completely off limits. Dwarf manager is acceptable as long as it is not used to turn on jobs for nobles and children.

2. Zeke

Zeke Banned

imo dont use any form of exploits at all.
    iow, if u wanna get rid of stone then u either throw it in a pit or USE it to make it disappear (constructions, stonecrafts, floors, etc)

3. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Use it to make a statue of me.

4. Cloud

Cloud Member

I didn't designate the damned well as a meeting room, 'twas like that when i started my turn.
    And it's my first time playing with magma and ice.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  5. Nattaboy

Nattaboy Member

At least there aren't any elephants.

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i did the well thing, i had some alcohol problems due to overproduction of plants and wanted to keep them happy, also you should flip the switch in the well once a year or so to keep it hydrated

i thought i largely fixed the alcohol problem but i guess i didnt sounding from everyone

also the metalsmiths i set up where ready to start making weapons, i dont know why people didnt do that

7. Zeke

Zeke Banned

my most recent fortress began in a world i modded to.... make it a bit more interesting + made a lulz embarkment group. ^^
    http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c150/Luzzete/TheSuicidalTeeth2.jpg

the game begun with me running for my life and sacrificing the dogs to undead giant eagles to survive... :eek:
    gotta love when even the god damn fish is undead and roams across the land (they dont have to be in water)... :beaten_nf:
    and neither of the surviving civilizations (poor elves) has any bauxite. <3
    but im alive none the less!

8. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wow thats hardcore

9. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Well blizzerd and cloud, I think the problem you were experiencing with the workshops outside was because dwarves are ordered to stay inside :o
    Im still on the 30th of granite, damn this fortress takes some getting used too.

One of your military dwarves died sparring. This is directly due to the fact that they have no armor. I have deactivated them for now, to avoid further casualties.

Edit: Oh, uhm, and they have cave adaption already

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  10. Zeke

Zeke Banned

how to: über military

1) wrestle wrestle wrestle
    2) equip armor and shields as soon as possible
    3) once they become though motherfkin legend wrestlers etc, put the real weaponry in their hands.... assuming they got armor at this point... othervise dont

just keep in mind.... dont mix champions with recruits etc... then it should be all fine.

11. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Well in about the middle of spring a load of immigrants came, bumping the population up to 97. Two more wrestlers who had previously retained injuries from sparring died of thirst in the barracks (I suggest a total rebuild of the barracks, especially if you're gonna have them spar in a tiny place like that). The well was working, there were idle dwarves with health care labor, plenty o' buckets, no reason not to bring water to the injured, but I swear the negligence of these dwarves is almost criminal.

So anyway everything was going horribly, the only miners were also the only masons, thousands of squares of designated mining left, trying to forge iron barrels when all we had were copper bars, throwing up whenever any dwarf went outside, rotting dwarves and miasma all over the place because the mortuaries i designated were ignored in the myriad of new bedrooms waiting to be carved out. I got rid of all the traps because I myself don't like to rely on them and there were no cages to reload them.
    I thought it would be a good idea to work on a good fortification system and outdoor barracks with archer towers before the first siege would arrive. Well lets just say work on the first piece of wall started 3 months after I designated it. Progress was extremely slow. So was progress in forging iron weapons and armor, I don't think i ever actually reached a full set.

It was almost a relief when the seige came, 24 goblins, 7 crossbows by my count. Both of the champions killed maybe two goblins but were subjugated by the onslaught of bolts. I think at this point maybe 20 out of 200 or so walls were complete. The masons (legendary miners) were the first to go along with a couple hunters who tried to fight back, in total taking 5 goblins with them. 'Varbles' Stukoskôn was struck down pretty quick along with some other dwarves immediately inside the fortress main entrance. About 12 or so had fallen at that point. I resurrected the rest of the army of wrestlers, who actually managed to fight off the siege with only 50% casualties.

At this point I gave up because the fortress was in even worse shape then it was when I got it, and I knew it would be hell trying to play the rest of the year and would be in sorry shape for the next player. I don't have the time nor the stomach to restart and personally I already feel sick when I think about this fortress.

tl;dr: I quit, revert to save before :o sorry guys

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

never train militarymen to hero status, (so not even close to legendary) because otherwise you cant use them anymore for anything else

ther start training them in other weapons or deactivate them (turn axemen into woodcutters, marksmen into hunters etc etc etc)

13. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

ROFLLLLLLLLLLL

FAILURE BEFORE THE END OF ROUND ONE =()

I'll admit, you inhereted a nightmare. I reeled at the sight of it when I opened it up to check its progress. It's definitely not past saving, but it is going to take some serious work and know-how to fix.

Empty, you're up, use cloud's fortress. If it's too much to handle, we'll have to figure something else out.

Two champions are worth 20+ military dwarves with mediocre skills (and take a lot less food). I've seen a single swordsdwarf champion kill a hydra in single combat... you couldn't get a whole fortress of mediocre wrestlers to do that. The key to maximize efficiency is to specialize, specialize, specialize. What zeke said was more or less accurate.

14. Empty

Empty Member

My turn wil lbe a bit delayed.
    I've been feeling like utter shit today, I can barely walk due to a fever.

Once I'm a bit recovered, and have my wits about me, I'll attempt to get started.

15. Zeke

Zeke Banned

rushing wealth and population is suicide unless you got a backbone to support it.
    its like paper heavys... they are WTFPWN in one aspect, but get owned by lights due to lack of the other important parts.
    take it slow and get ur fortress/defenses sorted.

also.... legendary max attributed wrestlers wtfpwn hybrid worker/soldier's, its TOTALLY worth the tiny sacrifice in workpower.

but if you REALLY want hybrid soldiers, then at the very least make them legendary pump operators beforehand to boost their attributes. (takes about a year i guess)

1 hit of a Ultra-Mighty Dwarf vs kobold = http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c150/Luzzete/SPLAT.jpg
    (+armor doesnt affect encumbrance as much)
    wish i had a recorded video of a axedwarf launching a goblin (and its de-attatched limbs) across the map...

Perfectly Agile Dwarf = 80% faster at movement and combat... iow against a dwarf without agility... this fella does nearly 2x the ammount of attacks.

Superdwarvenly Tough Dwarf... regeneration, resistance, less thirst and food drain (longer patroll time) and suffocation (wrestling enemys)

and since its wrestlers, they rip away weapons etc from their opponent in combat...
    being legendary at it neutralise enemys quickly as hell. +they can fight after losing their weapons in combat against enemy wrestlers or getting their weapons stuck (swords, axes, spears)

but.... most importantly when making wrestlers (or any soldiers by that matter).... MAKE A HUGE BARRACK.
    if its like 20x20 you will suffer basically no damage what so ever from training and thereby allowing ur soldiers to pew pew at eachother way more.
    if your miners got nothing to do for a brief moment, increase it to 30x30 or more... the larger the better when it comes to sparring..

16. Zeke

Zeke Banned

i just loaded up the fort.... and... its kinda... well messed up is a too weak term to describe it lol xD

sooo... new fort? :3

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

il try to fix it withion the timespan of a year, consider it varbles round

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

gj cloud, you dug a staircase right trough the tower cap farm, also parts of it where not irrigated yet so doing so floods the fortress

also whats up with making gazillions of wrestlers, also heros????? heros are useless you cant make them work and they still eat and drink

also wtf did you do with the river, it seems like you intentionally griefed the fortress

edit; the dysfunction of some of the people coming after me is utterly amazing, people have consequentially dismembered working systems and put new ones that do not work in the place

19. Cloud

Cloud Member

The ramp stairs didnt function very well imo, so i made another way up. The only thing i did with the rive was dig a hole on the other side after the point the river down in a hole, i've noticed no flooding.

Also: Fun

20. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

empty will you keep your turn or want me to switch places with you?