A complete Overhaul of the Research Tree

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Urknall, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

AC heats you up, but it can't actually overheat you because heat reduces throttle. It heats you up to something like 80% but won't heat you up past that.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

But that means crappy movement and the inability to lay down fire power when you want to. Or in another view, you're close to overheated when you get to the battle, which is a bad situation. I know the moving penalty can be circumvented by engy cooling upgrade or simply tapping the forward key, but a lot of people either don't know it or forget it in the heat of battle or whatever.

This is one of those things that should just go, it wouldn't hurt game play at all if you made coolant not heat up as you move.

3. Urknall

Urknall Member

A more "historical" question: How was researching in 2008 or 2010 designed? How long does this system of "numerous permutations of strategies" exist?

4. Candles

Since Empires had research, by my measure.

5. Urknall

Urknall Member

Ok... can everyone post his favorite research strategy from beginning to end (I do not mean all possibilities, but good strategies)? This would be great!

1.) Chemistry -> Absorbant -> Det compounts -> UGL -> coolant enginge -> HE -> mediums -> bio ML (or UML) -> Compo -> Heavies

2.) Physics -> Reflective -> Fission -> Heavy Cal -> ER -> Mediums -> Bio ML -> Heavies

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  6. complete_

complete_ lamer

advanced machining > budget armor > gas turbine
    electrical engineering > salvo homing > rails
    salvo+rail heavies with full armor

spartacus scitps

7. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Research Bio ML first, you guys might discover a new world.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

The best strategies I've had in the past often involved combat APC's, but I just don't know how effective that is now.

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

You can't use every tank setup the same way, that's why coolant doesn't work when applied to situations intended for faster engines. Interpret it as you want.

My attempt at research, pls no haterino:
    emp_canyon:
    Reactive -> Gas Turbine -> Medium Chassis -> Ranged Cannon -> Heavies -> Composite -> UML -> 50. Cal -> Coolant -> Turrets

10. Urknall

Urknall Member

Short interposed question: First weapon THEN medium tank or first medium tank THEN weapon?

11. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

If you've got heavies, the timeframe for 50cal is somewhat long gone

What the hell are you getting turrets last for? You want to feed points?

12. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

It would make some logical sense to get tanks before weapons since if you are able to maintain the base that is the chassis up and running you will then be able to upgrade it with newer items - particularly with istd being a thing now. The reality of it is that tanks will die despite the extra plating and chassis health, and bad drivers will waste tanks by the dozen so your bank will diminish real fast.

tl;dr in pubs weapon comes first

@zoom the 50cal and turrets are support research in case it doesn't turn into a slow heavygrind, the main research is already covered and there is always time for a tech switch.

13. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

It depends. Sometimes you'll see people rush straight to heavies with no armor or anything.

14. 101010

101010 Member

Haven't commanded much in the past year but.....
    1. All of the bio tree
    2. Meds
    3. All of the chemistry tree.
    4. Heavies
    5. Nukes
    6. Random shit until match is over.

15. Candles

Why would you get Bio MG when you already have Bio ML and are planning to get HEMG? Why would you get UML when you already have Bio ML? Why get absorbent and regen? And AC and Bio?

Researching all of both Chem and Bio has so much overlap, you'd be spending loads of time researching things you don't need that the other team will beat you to meds and heavies really quick.

16. ImSpartacus

Yeah, those are probably the two most overlapping trees in the game.

17. Lazybum

Well I do think getting abs and regen can make a little sense, abs is lighter and has a direct resist to cannons and a couple of missiles, so for people who can't effectively use regen it works out, and of course allows more weapons. Uml would also work with bio ml if you are nf and want to building snipe with uml while also give some players bio ml to deal with tanks/infantry.

That said I wouldn't probably bother with it til after meds if people are complaining, if I hit heavies I think I would get either compo or budget depending on the map and who's on the team.

Also I think fission and reflective might make for a better super light now, though I think reactive and 3phase is still viable because spart removed the rpg weakness, so a light can still survive 3 hits before exploding with at least 1 plate of reactive on each side the tank would get.

18. Urknall

Urknall Member

Another question: How should I react on the enemy team? For example, they have Bio ML... what should I research? And how to deal with (enemy) plasma cannons?

Edit: Can someone change the mistakes (orthography) in the topic (A complete...)! :o

19. ImSpartacus

Those are high risk, high reward weapons. They hit you, bad things happen, but it's not easy to hit since they have high cycle times.

Against plasma, make sure you're moving and keeping cool. Absorbent will completely counter the heat from plasma cannon (and then some). Fission will keep you chilly while you stay moving to dodge those projectiles.

There's no direct counter to bio's dot, but armors like reactive, compo and budget have the highest hp/weight in the game to make sure that it takes a while before you're vulnerable.

20. Lazybum

Don't get fission, get bio diesel. Didn't realize abs had that much cooling though. Actually with how fast plasma is abs seems like the best counter to plasma. Oh wow. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, I haven't had much of a chance to play with new scripts yet.