2.28 infantry battle

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by -=SIP=-, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

^
    'cept grens

between snipers, death ray smgs, and lazer rifles it is very hard to stay alive while doing gren work (killing tanks).

I like bullet based weapon balance atm, but the poor grens... theres almost no point to play gren except for us old diehards.

2. FN198

FN198 Member

gren weapons should cycle faster. that would fix it in my opinion

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

They should, but that would require redoing the animations. If one of our new modellers has a chance then they'll do it, but it's not a high priority.

4. FN198

FN198 Member

i'll put that on my agenda then

5. Trickster

If you can recompile them to a 2 second reload time and have it working ingame, then I'll add it in. And by them, I mean the mortar, and the mortar only.

6. Zeke

Zeke Banned

ezy pzy.

import it to 3ds max, go to the animation time thingie and alter the time by x%

example:
    4 sec animation, u want it to be 2.
    the animation marks at frame 200 is moved to frame 100.
    the animation marks at frame 400 is moved to frame 200.
    etc.
    and that ofc goes for every single marked frame...

annoying, yet easily doable even for a person without any form of experience in 3ds max.
    the 2 min animation tutorial should be enough which goes along with it... even in the trial edition.

7. DJ Die

DJ Die Member

its just an idea but what about creating multiple ammo types for mortar?
    like having one with smaller radius but larger damage for people like dubee who are pretty accurate
    on other hand having one that would be bit less powerful but it would have larger radius that current one which would be useful for support role(and for newbies)
    and maybe bio warhead.....

8. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Suggestion forums is for suggestions. It's much easier to ignore the bad posts if we keep them all in the same section.

plz and ty.

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

nucular mowtarrrr :|ove:

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Armour piercing rounds! Half standard ammoz! :D

11. zenarion

zenarion Member

What you describe can even be done without a 3d app. You can rescale an animation in the models' QC files, but both them ways result in ugly fucking animations.
    You gotta create totally new anims for reloading, or come up with an automatic grenade launcher.

12. Trickster

How much does it fuck them up? Do you think changing the mortar reload time from 3 seconds to 2 seconds, or more importantly, the time taken to draw the mortar after choosing it being lowered by about 25-50%, would break the animation that much?

I'll see how it can be done using the .qc, that would be something I could actually do.

13. chaucer

chaucer Member

The real problem with mortars is that the shells frequently bounce off the riflemen I'm shooting, and then they explode as if the player model hadn't been there at all.

And then I die, because that's the one shot I get. Mortar is high-risk, high-reward. If I hit a player model, he should die. Otherwise, if I hit the ground next to him, he should take whatever damage he is taking now.

14. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I get that! Seriously like 40% of the mortar shots bounce off my targets WTF! I gave up on being grenadier because of that shit.

15. FN198

FN198 Member

make mortar weapon of pros again but dont touch guns kthx

16. Trickster

We're going to try and fix that.

17. zenarion

zenarion Member

Try that and see. It probably won't be noticed at all.
    If anything, try that and see how it works balance-wise.
    That way, if you ever get a sweetspot for that timing, you get a reference point for your animator on how long the reworked anim should be.

18. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Ok Sorry but TLDR.
    I feel That it is very fast! I'll try to get used to it, But I mean "VERY" fast. I'd say if combat could be slowed down say 30% players may have time to react to incoming fire.

Cause honestly, Surprise is king now, not tactics, nor strategy. You devs seem set on keeping the general pace. Whitch I see has a certain draw for the reflex junkies. But theres something to be said when empires infantry combat has less stratiegic value then Team Fortress 2.

Give us squad chat, and give all squad mates the "emergency First aid:10 sec 10 HP revive" trick. And maybe some more cover based mechanics to balance the prevelance of death. Then maybe this could be a strategy shooter.

I understand If thats not what your aiming for. But you just changed the target demographic. And the community is reeling. This may have been to much too soon.

19. zenarion

zenarion Member

Explain "cover based mechanics".
    If what you are imagining is something akin to Gears of War, I am disappoint.

20. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Ever play Fear? The ai can get down and hide behind anything. Plus they can stick there rifles over/around the objects and shoot at you(for a 30% accuracy decrease im guessing).