2.28 infantry battle

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by -=SIP=-, Oct 13, 2010.

1. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I really dislike the new assault rifles. They are far to effective.
    This is not a stupid shooter. At Empires you often have to walk a long way and then you don't want to be killed in 0.1 seconds.
    Also ping will become much more important and this is bad, because you can't just choose another server with lower ping.

And the weapons are more effective on long range. Why? Does anybody think that long range sniper battles are more fun then close range battles?

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

the pistol 02 is kind of cool, finally something counters the nf shotty, but the assault rifles are insane. I got killed after getting hit by 2 shot from an NFAR and the new BEAR is like this insane gun that has perfect accuracy when crouching, dont even need iron sights. I thought 2.12 was good because ppl wouldn't stop bitching about it, and now that I see it's likeness for the first time, all I see is shit hitting the fan because the rifles are death rays.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Just to point out that servers only got the Rifleman skill damage increase fix today, in fact, probably about 12 hours ago. Before that, weapons were doing 25% extra damage with Rifleman damage increase, pushing a lot of weapons over the 50 damage mark.

Having said that, it appears I wasn't just right, but fucking psychic, when I said that most people who came after 2.12 wouldn't like them.

4. OuNin

OuNin Member

The scripts would work if maps broke players sightlines with uneven terrain or buildings. This is the case in games with death laser rifles like DoD:S, Armed Assault, Ghost Recon, Insurgency, etc. In the case of Empires, a majority of maps are flat, allowing players to simply track and mouse1 anything that moves.

It's like the scripts are based off of skirmishes on district where the game plays like the above mentioned. Maps like canyon are nearly unplayable for anybody but riflemen or people with vehicles.

In BFBC2, the weapons are all about as deadly as the next, but what allows that is the logistics of the player, with squad spawning and all which foregos having to run across the whole map.

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I get killed very quickly, although cl_showfps 2 actually puts my fps as low as 4 when it gets hairy (I dunno something about my system has gone all shitty, I know), so there's no real way for me to be accurate about infantry combat until I fix that.

On another point, it's going to take a while for me to remember to use my guns these days. I seem to have gotten to the point where I only use my smg last - after i've run around building a turret, reviving people and building shit, lol. I seem to not have been bothered too much with actual shooting in the last 6 versions or so, because I could run around with a fair expectation of coming back alive.

6. FN198

FN198 Member

The glorious rifles of ancient times have returned. It is a time for merriment and rejoicing.

Don't like bullets? Don't like open terrain? They're countered easily by:
    vehicles
    walls
    other riflemen
    buildings
    diversions
    creativity

This is a thinker's game, not deathmatch with tanks.

7. recon

recon SM Support Dev

If they really have, I agree.

+ 1 exactly. Most people don't realize that wtf deaths (e.g. long range kills by skilled marksmen) weren't always caused by the BE AR...

8. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

rifles are fine

9. Trickster

MOOtant is probably going to get pissy at me for unlocking this thread, but I'm up for hearing people out so I don't mind it if some don't like it. I do ask that you form your judgement based off empires in the last 24 hours, not before, seeing as the rifleman fix only just got done.

The way I see it, teamwork is now far more important than it was before. You could probably get away with taking health regen before, running around, take the odd 10-15 damage shot, keep walking and heal up. You could attack areas without really being worried of a confrontation as long as you kept your distance. That doesn't work now.

Now, if you want to be truly effective, you HAVE to have a squad backing you, because quite frankly if you don't, you're going to die, very fast. Cover is more important than ever, so you have to use your local terrain more, and above all, due to the accuracy, prone does NOT count as cover anymore. So you can't just take a nap on the ground and watch the bullets just fly around you.

At the end of the day, you can go on about Empires now turning into CS:S or something, but there's a 10 second respawn, I mean, that's nothing. Up to now, the only people I feel have a real reason for disliking the new weapon set are the Grenadiers, and I aim to fix that by the next release.

In closing, before more spam, consider the following:

A lot of the people who aren't used to these scripts, aren't used to playing with them. Back in 2.12, engineers dropped turrets/walls to cover themselves whenever they might be vulnerable, so you have to remember to do stuff like this. You have to learn how much more important it is to use your surroundings. Give it a day and you won't notice a difference. Give it a week and you might be like "well I guess I can put up with these for a bit". Give it a month, after you've actually adapted to the new combat and aren't dying quite so much, and you'll fucking love them.

10. Zeke

Zeke Banned

engis who bitch about being outranged: l2p
    riflemen who bitch about other riflemen types or scouts: l2p
    people who say this is css: l2p
    grens who bitch about the new weapons: i feel ur pain. lol ^^

11. Trickster

Yeah, helping the Grenadiers is my number one priority for the next release. I'm just limited in terms of what I can do with the scripts, so I need code support.

12. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Code support? Just change the weapons so that they are only effective at mortar range. I suck at the mortar and prefer rifleman but for me the mortar was always a fair weapon.

But what is most surprising for me is that you have buffed the scoped rifle.
    Damage from 50 to 60. Falloff from 5000 to 8000. MinDamage from 40 to 45.
    I always thought that you agreed that the scout needs a shotgun (or similar short range gun) and that scoped rifles doesn't fit to Empires.

13. Trickster

Then give me a shotgun model, a shotgun model with a texture, a shotgun model with a texture and an animation, and I will add it. I won't however, jack off another weapon and turn it into a shotgun. Maybe if you get a shotgun for NF, we could retexture the BEHR into a shotgun at best.

Also, no, the mortar needs buffing, not everything else nerfing. Anyway, I think I'm going to stop passing judgement on the finer implications of the changes until I can actually play 2.28, which will be when I get back to England.

14. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

I love the new (or old 2.12 <3) infantry weapon system, beside mortar, mortar needs a buff so it can kill in one shot, I shot an engy and several other ppl straight into the ground with my mortar and they didn't die ...

/beside that mines need a force and trigger range buff :D

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  15. OuNin

OuNin Member

hueuahehaheueaheh

16. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

for once i have to agree ... :P

also SMG2 :|ove:

17. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

I am quite happy with the new infantry balance. The mortar is fine too, I can still top most rifleman.
    The only thing I disliked is the nfhr, while playing on dune I got insta killed way too many times by rifleman that were out of mortar range.
    The only buff the grenadier may need is the decreased reload times you mentioned before and perhaps a small increase to bullet resistans.

18. Trickster

Well, this is my "list" so to speak so far:

NFHR is going to need a bit more recoil. I don't mind riflemen being able to land the first shot with it, but from what I've been told over steam, they can follow through and keep shooting and keep the accuracy.

The skill boundaries are too early. Getting your 2nd skill at 10 points means that a lot of riflemen are getting HP upgrade early on, making them fairly invulnerable to the mortar. If not changing the skill, either buffing the mortar from 120 damage to 130, or dropping HP upgrade from 130 to 120 is an option, although neither are ideal.

If we can change the reload time it'll be done, but it's unlikely. I may however give the Grenadier the 10% bullet resist that the rifleman enjoys.

Keep throwing feedback in here. "I DIE TOO QUICK" isn't feedback.

19. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Is accuracy upgrade still the preferred skill for rifleman or was this changed?

And does 10% bullet resist for the grenadiers change anything?
    E.g. nf_rifle damage 35-24. With bullet resist 31.5-21.6.
    This means that grenadiers will maybe can take on hit more, which also means that they may only survive 0.07 seconds longer.

20. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

It is.