2.25 cheap particles

Discussion in 'General' started by pickled_heretic, Apr 18, 2010.

1. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Is it cheating for the BE model to have a face shield but not the NF model? Would it be "cheating" for someone to only ever play NF because they don't want to incur the disadvantage from the face shield on the BE RPG?

2. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I'm not talking about balance.
    It's just the problem, that most of the other players don't know that this can be changed. And because of this they have a disadvantage.

But as I already have written none of these things are really game breaking. And therefore I don't care if some people are using it. But I still will it call cheating.

3. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Impulse 101 is fairly recent. Anyway, you didn't play during 1.073 so your not really in a position to talk about it. Games would routinely be 5v5 of just people dicking around doing tank wars or jeep races. It was obvious and apparent if you used nuke LTs or money tanks or built VFs under the map in a real game whereas no one can tell if you've modified your client. You're comparing apples to oranges and for all your durp durp philosophy threads you should know that even if it was comparable(which it isn't) that personal inconsistencies have nothing to do with the validity of my argument.

They aren't just "cosmetic annoyances", they incur a real advantage over other players. The GUI is marginal but something like the particles are a pretty big advantage depending on the map and I imagine there are some people loling at this thread because they are running stuff 20x worse. OH HAI LOOK AT THESE WALLS WHAT A COSMETIC ANNOYANCE LEMME RUN SOME SEE THROUGH TEXTURES, NICE OK!!! Servers should be running sv_pure.

4. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

The point that I'm making is that whatever I consider fair is fair to me. I would rather everyone have a high fps, transparent particles, jeeps without rollbars, walls without barbed wire, and the NF and BE rpg models granting the same visibility. The fact that I install these changes is not because I'm trying to incur some sort of advantage over other people, it's because I think they're annoying and I don't think anyone should have to deal with them. The fact that I make available all of my changes to the public domain is proof of that. If you pretend to understand my motive beyond that, then you're probably in the wrong field of study - you might want to work toward becoming a psychic.

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i find aiming to be annoying ... :rolleyes:

6. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

If you can't find the distinction between running a 3rd party utility to do your aiming for you and removing rollbars from the jeep, then you should probably go back to school.

7. flasche

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

This thread is sadness. But hey, I remember when BE had a poor RPG model and it was upgraded into shiny newness.

Complaining is a double-edged sword in Empires. Leave shit well alone.

9. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

What does your motivation have to do with anything? I could care less about why people change the game game, I'm only concerned with the end effect which gives some players advantages over other players. How about you actually address my arguments instead of offering up thinly veiled insults based on assumptions of assumptions I'm making?

There are public hacks available for almost every game ever made, that hardly has anything to do with them being acceptable or fair. Not all players visit these forums and even less visit them enough that they will notice every little thread that changes the game.

The GUI I couldn't care less about but starting to change things like mines, the barbed wire on walls, iron sights, particles and roll bars is getting to the point where its not "cosmetic annoyances" but its editing the game to give you advantage regardless of your motivation. You don't get to unilaterally decide what is part of the game. I don't see any "cosmetic changes" that make the game harder to play but nicer looking, its always "I don't like the way this looks, oh and also it makes the game easier for me LOL".

10. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

The only thing that fucking matters is motivation. It's not unfair if you know they exist and understand how easy it is to change them. I spent hours making modifications to the particles, all you have to do is drag and click a couple of files. It's the same with the jeeps and everything else. I don't use any modifications that aren't publicly available. If you want to be a purist and feel like you've got the moral highground by avoiding their use then that's your perogative but at that point you don't get to bitch.

As far as sv_pure goes, well, I wouldn't have a problem with it either as long as all the changes to annoyances that I use are mandated as well. That's the ultimate check to see if whether or not it's "cheating" or just dealing with annoying shit.

And as far as thinly veiled insults goes, well, you're the queen of thinly veiled insultland. I hardly think you're going to gain any ground by telling me to avoid using them. "Hurp durp my name is simon and I am a hypocritical douche LOL."

11. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

I can agree that using roll bar-less jeeps and similar things gives you an advantage, but shouldn't it be taken more as an indication that people want to see it changed for the better of the mod?

Same thing with these particles, I don't use them with the intent to gain an edge over others, I use them because my old pile of garbage computer can't handle the stock ones.
    I still don't run as fluently as on 2.24 but it's a lot better.

See-through walls and colorful mines is cheating though.

12. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

The difference between BE and NF RPG are done intentionally by Duke. Lots of games have intentional handicaps, like how the skulk in ns has a big hud model of his teeth, that obstruct your view when biting. This was done intentionally to serve as a handicap. It doesn't need to make sense to you. There are dozens of games that use visual handicaps etc, it might come as a surprise to you that this still doesn't condone customizing these features/assets.

While the emphasis here lies on whether it was intentional to obstruct the view with smoke and nuke is left to Empty to answer, perhaps he did feel that arty's should make big smoke clouds, but didn't intend it to be an FPS hog necessarily.

While you might have stayed courteous by not completely removing particles and perhaps even finding a good balance between what you consider a cheat and simply a fix to a "graphical annoyance", as well as publishing it in the publical domain. This doesn't make it less of an advantage over regular players however (if this is the case, I don't know as I haven't tried the particles).

Everyone would've done this, this is in no way an attack on you or an attempt at telling you what you did was horrible, the question posed is why you are trying to justify it with shady arguments.

13. flasche

im sure you could exchange the nice bits of arty explosion pickeld left in with the actual smoke part and you would have similar results FPS wise ...
    ive dled it to check how much of a difference it would be.
    i havent had the chance to see nukes, but arty deffinately is a huge advantage. also i miss the dust that is thrown up by mortar. also explosion particles appear to be played faster then the stock ones.

id also like to mention i only used them in spectator mode, before pickled accuses me of cheating again ...

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

All those years of teenage angst are catching up with him.

15. dizzyone

Personally If I felt my reasons are justified, I wouldn't give a shit about what anyone else thought, infact I'd probably give it to "friends" (people that happen to be around) only just so I don't have to defend myself on this forum publically. 9 out of 10 times something like this will spread to everyone anyway.

It's clear that some people, like pickled, won't accept these particles for obvious reasons that are game breaking for their experience, I don't see the point in flaming them for it. I would've disabled the particles straight away myself if it made the game unplayable.

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Indeed. Which is why it's amusing that he's trying to justify them to us ^^

17. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Tbh, back in 2.12, I did the most bullshit exploits in nearly every single game I ever played except scrims.

Impule101 for +25 hp, bound to a key and scripted.
    Killing people with smg2 from command view.
    9mining from command view.
    Glitching through every displacement the game had.
    Taking over the enemy's CV and recycling all his buildings.
    Hiding my waterproof (i.e. takes no water damage) underwater with scout radar hide for the entire game.
    Sabbing the entire enemy team's buildings from command view. If only it did DoT back then...
    The usual 9mine apc fuckery that everyone and his dog could do.
    Building ninja raxes behind enemy lines...from CV view.

I miss those days :( Exploits these days are boring in comparison. Either way, of course everything can be exploited to make life easier, wallhax, etc. But most people don't, and it isn't really an issue. So what if the odd guy with neon textures kills some uber hidden scout. The only time it even matters is in a clan game and if you're in a semi-decent clan, then your commander will have targets slapped on your screen 24/7 and be relaying constant info, so most of the stuff is basically useless anyway. It's also really easy to spot scouts from command view rather than ingame.

But in general, I both agree and disagree with Pickled. You can't really put exploits into the same category as hacks. They're considerably different. However, there is no reason for the BE rpg to have a shield. It's not a "handicap" because grens are already in a David vs Goliath situation with tanks. It's like giving David a potato instead of a stone. It's just bad, simple as. And as thus, a lot of us have it removed. It makes sense to.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  18. dizzyone

I used to do the comm stuff in 1.07, building raxes on the hills in crossroads or outside of the map, mining the enemy cv/vf/rax and helping my team build up stuff. I'm pretty sure Krenzo said he fixed this bug, and it seemed fixed to me in 1.08. If I knew it wasn't really fixed, to be honest, I would've kept using it for the lols.
    Wouldn't do it in a 'real' game, but Empires is about the sploits anyway :p, doing all the crazy stuff just to fuck the enemy over is practically the whole point of the game. I wouldn't be afraid to be honest about all the exploits we used to use in 1.07, the list was practically endless. Also the main reason why I told Thor never to schedule any clan matches during 1.07. Cyber from JPL used to flame me a lot saying we were just pussies, but if you knew the amount of exploits (zomg abs, fogless wall hax, no research required, money hax, calculator for all classes, etc etc) that were in the game, there was absolutely no way you could play it competitively. (note although I have never used these sploits in the few clan matches we did play)

The whole point is to exploit but report them as well so the game can improve; removing particles is in the same spirit. Enjoy your exploits until they last, but have the common decency to report it, either in private to devs, or in public on the forums.

19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The comm exploit is fixed with the comment "//fuck you trickster" I believe. Courtesy of Kylegar.

20. Avneet

Avneet Member

Why don't devs just change 2.26 to have a model modified checker and force kick anyone trying to join a vac secured server for instance until it's back to the original. Problem solved from some people having advantages over others.

Either that or fix ir to something with a much less fps drop as pickled has done.