2.25 cheap particles

Discussion in 'General' started by pickled_heretic, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

lag free empires? I'll take it

2. Demented

Demented Member

So you complain about the particles, and then the same logic would 'force' me to use the transparent GUI? (Not really, I'm far too stubborn and accommodating.)

Way to go.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

not it wouldnt force you, it just excludes the gui from being checked against (aka it allowes each modfication to the gui you can think of and ofc also the stock one) the rest of your materials and models would need to be the same as on the server tho ...

a whitelist is the oppositie of a blacklist. it lists what is allowed, not what is not. a way better aproach to security isnt it? ;)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  4. Demented

Demented Member

Not the point I was making.
    The only reason you'd have to download the particles is because you don't want someone else having even a hypothetical advantage over you.

And yet... Nesquiko's GUI confers an advantage. It has been stated so several times. It would stand to reason that anyone who doesn't want others having a hypothetical advantage over him would need to download Nesquiko's GUI, even if he doesn't like it.

Why then is Nesquiko's GUI acceptable as a cheat, worthy of whitelisting, but these others aren't? Is it to appease the noisy minority of the forum, or because you already use it?
    The GUI IS used a lame excuse, but because it should be blacklisted, not because it should be whitelisted. (Come to think of it, I suppose I should've been there to back you up when the argument was at its peak. :p)

It's the GUI that concerns me, so much as the logical inconsistency. The same grievance applies to appeals about fairness even when it's clear that many users are at a serious disadvantage by default. Presumably Dizzy's argument about developer intent would have more standing, but developer intent cannot be inferred solely from what's implemented, thanks mainly to human nature.

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

it was because i was told i have no chance unless i make it whitelisted ... which i didnt have anyway ...

6. Demented

Demented Member

I suppose those server owners have no business using sv_pure, then.

7. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Empty should use +showbudget on demos and cl_dump_particle_stats and not just testing performance on empty server.

8. Empty

Empty Member

I find it most offensive that you guys really don't like my work.
    You had plenty of time to bring any complaints up during testing.
    I'm always open to suggestions and ideas, I'm really saddened by your attitudes.

9. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I like em :)

Though, I've noticed that the nuke, arty, and mortar particles do cause bad framerate on a full server.

10. OuNin

OuNin Member

you should it flattering that people are critical of your work.

11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

But they should him of this before release, it's not as if they didn't have enough time to do it

12. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I like them too. ^^

And I agree with flasche.
    It is meanly that some of you are using these little cheats after playing this game for a long time. Do you have more fun when you know that you have killed more noobs because you have an advantage and they don't?

13. OuNin

OuNin Member

It's primarily feedback from the release. Not everybody has the SVN.

14. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

[​IMG]

It's alright empty.

FYI; Using nothing to alternate the client, it's still extremely easy to hit the top of the scoreboard. When you get used to playing Empires on EASY-MODE, you start to suck. Now imagine the time coming (because from the looks of things, it WILL come) when you have to play with the default client? What's going to happen?
    Yeah.
    You're going to have to re learn a lot of things.

15. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

ROFL. I complained *constantly* about your particles the second I saw them in game. You and mootant were both being dismissive about it. You earned your emo attitude yourself when you backed me into a corner where I had to act because you refused to do shit.

I did. Look at the damned SVN. I said right fucking there weeks before the release that the nuke particle was retarded and causing fps issues for many people, myself included. MY COMMENTS WERE DISMISSED BY BOTH EMPTY AND MOOTANT. EMPTY IS GETTING WHAT HE DESERVES NOW.

Here's some quotes from the bugtracker topic I opened, straight from the mouth of empty:

16. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

This, only time I've ever modified anything was to get nuke LTs/money tanks. Too lazy for anything else.

17. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Oh, ok

18. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

I use, and have always used the default client.

Dicks.

19. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

It's not about trying to maximize your score, it's about dealing with cosmetic annoyances. For instance, the face shield on the BE RPG makes no sense. It's like running around with blinders on. The rollbars on the jeep is a syndrome of bad modeling and perspective. I can assure you that I have never stepped into a jeep in order to maximize my score and removing the rollbars has nothing to do with wanting to do as such.

Anyone who used a scripts exploit to put a nuke on a light tank on a public server has no right to tell anyone else what they should do to their client. You guys were pulling shit that we can't even imagine today. Infinite health with impulse 101? LOL.

20. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Without the BE RPG face shield you see more of the battleground, which makes it easier to hit enemies and survive.
    It's the same with particles. When you see more than your enemies then they will be an easy target for you. Using different particles on slow PCs would be ok as long they doesn't makes thing more visible.
    If you drive a jeep without rollbars you will see mines, obstacles and enemies easier and will crash and die less often.

These are not cosmetic annoyances. This is cheating.
    But fortunately Empires is a very complex game and so these things only have a small effect.