Yet Another Grenadier Balancing Thread

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Avatarix, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Avatarix

z

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  2. Caelo

Caelo Member

Too many rules for discussions... ^^

I wanted to say "just buff the RPG", but that would be terrible for the first 10-15min of the game. I'm a bit clueless as to what the class really needs.
    I would like to see the main roles of the classes as:
    Rifleman vs. infantry
    Engineers vs buildings
    Grenadiers vs. tanks
    Scout whatever is left :P

In this case I think the RPG should be made a bit better against tanks. Maybe increase the RPG's damage 10% and decrease the reload time a bit. The mortar is already deadly and maybe just a tad to effective against infantry. So maybe the damage should be decreased a bit or increase the falloff in the splash area (but keep its size).

Ofc. this would make driving vehicles in early game a bit more dangerous...

3. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

4. Avatarix

Well, just wanted to consolidate various ideas and points of view here, you copypaste other threads if you want. And if mods think this is some kind of repost they have all the rights to remove it.
    Who would even use dumb-fire one? There's almost no times when you use it that way (as destroying ML turrets and other devices). The tank combat is too fast to use it non-guided way for me, almost all the tanks can miss the unguided rockets by sligtly pressing forward/backward button. The only moments tank stops is to fire a nuke or siege a building, which is unlikely to shot unnoticed rocket at the target.
    As for me, damage buff is obsolete at the moment, because all the armors are becoming stronger and stronger, with no changes for grenadier damages. Also we could use speed upgrade to make it feel more hard-hitting than it was (in Spike's testing the rocket speed was increased by around 15% i guess and for me it was really helpful). If we would buff the RPG the reload shortening would be even too much for the tankers to deal with.

5. Caelo

Caelo Member

Besides, you can already dumbfire it by not holding the fire button.

6. VulcanStorm

Yes, but there is no direct benefit?

e.g. its just a feature of the rpg, not a seperate weapon

what if there was a separate, dumb-fire only rpg (hence harder to use), but dealt more damage? That would then give players a choice of weapons.

Similarly, what about a homing rpg? So its homing instead of guided (hence even easier to use, but dumb-fire on right click?). Same damage as the guided.
    As for the downsides? this would make your presence fairly public, so you couldn't stealth snipe as easily... and we all know how reliable homing is...

7. Avatarix

Well, if it would be that great in terms of damage it would allow building sniping again...
    But the homing RPG is pretty good idea, but might be hard to hit desirable armor plate.
    Also, there were ideas of giving Engineer explosives for destroying buildings at close range similiar to detpacks.
    Maybe Grenadier could use something like that, but remote detonated and with big radius?

8. VulcanStorm

think large maps, like duststorm... the current gren rpg just isn't suited to high speed combat. homing would help a lot here, of course its hard to hit the desirable armour plate, but that's the downside of homing(and why you might want to use guided instead) :)

as for remote explosives? i sense trolling... but hasnt gren already got mines and a mortar for killing buildings

9. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Right click to toggle between guided and homing.
    Left click fires.

People get to use both, homing doesn't make them op, just able to hit shit.

10. Avatarix

yeah, i have to get used to treating suggestions in this community as trolling
    how long does it takes to use mines to kill a building? and how easily one engi can counter gren shooting mortar at the building? but no, the remote explosives stated here are meant for killing tanks or infantry from another position
    shit's very good, lordz2

11. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

I can kill a building in about 8 mines then about 6+ mortar hits for most buildings like radar/VF/Rax, of course I have to sneak into a base and not get seen sitting there dropping 8 mines then once they detonate go full panic mode and try mortar the buildings to death before one engineer can spawn backwards to save it all, not to mention it only works on near turret less bases because to get the time to set the mines you can't alert them.

Its actually quite a good tactic if you mine a cluster of buildings by placing the 8 mines between them, but its completely dumb that I end up playing grenadier like this.

12. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Have my thoughts from other threads. https://forums.empiresmod.com/index...assis-take-increased-damage-from-grens.19648/

https://forums.empiresmod.com/index.php?threads/gren-to-get-another-rpg.20166/

Someone mentioned rpg sniping with an unguided but more damaging rpg, you could get around that by simply making the rpg explode after certain amount of distance. After all it isn't like anyone is hitting a tank at the other side of the map. Or give its own ammo type so buildings take less damage from it. It's not hard issue to work around.

Mortar is fine against buildings, get another gren to shoot with you and it'll drop in no time.

13. VulcanStorm

not the suggestion... its a decent suggestion, its just that they could be used for some serious trolling in game. just place them outside the barracks, and detonate 1 at a time

hows about giving gren the option for sticky grenades or mines? same as the rifleman stickies. make them choose. hence giving gren a different playstyle if they want it.

14. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

Maybe if you removed sticky nade from riflemen and gave it only to grens that would make sense, else you might as well go riflemen and get a huge armour boost and rifle to shoot everyone with.

15. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Only to infantry bullets, grens have 30% resist or so against tank weapons, rifle only has 10%.

16. Avatarix

well, i thought not about having 10~ these remote bombs activated one by one, but more like 2-3 with slow throw animation and activating them at once

well, the gren has that big resist and his weapons aren't made for close combat (expect skilled mortar) and it would be dumb making him throw stickies and die than hold the line with RPG
    but also it would be nice to be able to engage tanks when they want to drive over you, so I have mixed feelings about that

17. Ranger

Ranger Member

I don't know how this would work but:

Give the mortar its old stats making it early game artillery. Decrease its ammo to 2 or 4. Engineer supported. Make a ditch with walls for extra WW2 awesomeness or make a structure model for this as it has been discussed in an other thread.

Make a dumbfire rpg which fires a rocket that is faster and stronger than the guided missile. Perhaps as an addition by researching UML.

If we got a homing rpg it would need to lock its targets really fast or it would not be effective.

18. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Ranger, the mortar is a loveable weapon by a lot of people in the community. Changing it to something it's not, is going to piss of a lot of people. :)

19. VulcanStorm

That's what i was getting at, there's enough times when tanks just try and run you over, and mines just don't cut it... So why not use stickies?

20. Ranger

Ranger Member

I forgot to mention that it could be replaced by a grenade launcher that works exactly the same way, except no firing angle.