Make heavier chassis take increased damage from grens

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Lazybum, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

It's possible to make heavier chassis take more damage from grens, well anything to be honest. I give it a mention because I know quite a few people feel that once heavy tanks start rolling infantry can't do much. So why not give a slight increase to the damage grens do against these tanks?

I suggest something like 10% against mediums(which is 143 a shot) and 20% against heavy tanks(which is 156 a shot). These aren't huge buffs, I don't think these expensive tanks should blow up as fast as a light, but I don't feel like they should be able to laugh at grens trying to do their job.

The only question is do you want just rpgs to have increased damage or mortars too? Personally I feel like because you can fire off mortars faster and they travel a bit faster you can do a bit more with them if the enemy is close enough, and I kinda feel like mortars should be used against buildings/infantry anyway. What do you guys say?

2. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

*hit* -> *get out and repair* -> *get back in* -> *hit* -> *get out and repair*
    This is how I troll grenadiers and this is also how I tell them that they are not doing their job.

What they should be doing is drop 8 mine and then get in a vehicle.
    You are just griefing your team if you are on foot at that stage of a game.

But yeah, I agree with this suggestion, because why not?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

lol. Doesn't gren damage already increase per hull type? More dmg for meds then lights... more dmg for heavy then med.

4. Lazybum

Unless that's some hard coded value no, there's nothing like that. I think I remember testing this before and they all took the same damage.

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I think they used to but the change was probably reverted, based on what you are saying. The thing is, it should take more hits to take out a heavier tank. I don't know how the buffs would work into that, but I'd be worried about making stronger tanks feel worse against losing teams because of tpgs doing too much.

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yeah Meds/Arty used to take +16% damage from Grenadiers, Heavies +33%. It got removed after a while though.

7. Lazybum

Have you grenned against tanks lately? Lets use a be heavy with 4 plates of reflective, 545 hp total hp on one side. If you could somehow hit it dead on ignoring the reflect property, it would take 4.2 rpgs, or really 5. With a 20% damage boost it takes 3.5 missiles, or 4 rpgs altogether. Really, it saves you one extra missile which is all I think it needs.

Tanks move, gren misses, gren has long reload time that's even longer if they have to guide the rpg, tank can easily spin around to spread damage, or even better do what security said about repairing the tank. I honestly think you worry too much, I'm certain all this will do is make heavy tanks feel like mediums against grens and mediums, well it doesn't do too much against mediums but there will be a subtle effect.

Tanks will still be better against other tanks, it's just this helps grens a little not feel like they are wasting their time.

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

You're talking about 1v1s in ideal conditions and that surely isn't going to happen all that often. But to stay in that fashion: Imagine a 2v1 with the same accuracy and hit modifiers. It takes the two grens just two rockets each to bring down the heavy, instead of three. That's a drastic reduction in time to kill, by a third, and only two peeks out of cover for each of them.

Yadda yadda yadda

I think it's a legitimate concern. Besides, keeping intuitive with each armor on each chassis behaving exactly the same has some intuitive charm to it. I feel like there is a better, more elegant way to balance tanks against infantry. Or perhaps it's there already, but not in the form you'd like (mines).

9. Lazybum

Mines are great and all, but it's a tank, it doesn't have to move closer to shell you or your base.

I still say you haven't gren much recently. I've shot countless rpgs against heavy tanks with other good grens(better then me at least) and those heavies don't seem to care.

I gave the ideal situation to point out how hard it is just for that one gren in those ideal circumstances, and also to show how many rpgs it should take to kill a heavy. Normally it isn't ideal, and you have to count for the actual defense bonuses the armor has along with stuff that can block shots and not dying to the heavy itself, not to mention infantry on the ground are also shooting at you. Tanks move faster then you can reload you know.

Honestly, do you truly think 1 less rpg will make a heavy go from amazing to mediocre?

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

No, I want more diversity. In unit types, weapons, armors. Providing one size fits all style answers doesn't help achieving that.

But hey, if there is someone you shouldn't balance around, it'd be me. I sure won't mind this too much, since I've come to terms with grens vs heavies a long time ago - and that is just don't unless you have to.

11. Lazybum

You make me wonder if you would like it more if grens could swap out their rpg with one that did more damage but at some cost. Actually swapping out the mortar would make more sense, grens lose a lot by losing the mortar but if you made them 40-50% more effective against heavier tanks it can a good trade off for them in the later game. The funny part is that we don't exactly need a new model really, so it wouldn't be hard to add this in with scripts I think.

It's just a bunch of minor questions that pop up for balancing purposes, like how to make it not great against buildings and if it should be a research item because of the possibility of it nuking lights and apcs. A couple of things can kinda be solved scripting side, but something would probably be easier with some added coding, mainly a custom damage type, well rather ammo type but same deal.

That's the best I can come up with what we currently have that would probably make you happy, and quite a few others I wager. I'm all for diversity too, the original suggestion was the simple quick fix if you will.

Edit: oh darn I thought you could infantry weapons through scripts, I swear I did it before. Apparently I'm wrong, but still I don't think this is a bad idea. I don't remember adding weapons to be hard in source though...

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

You know, I get why stickies are short range weapons, I really do. But having them with a normal grenade arc would make the other classes so much more effective against vehicles.

Maybe not the sticky stun, but the sticky explosive for sure.

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

I'd go rifleman with ammo for my anti-tank then. Lesser range and limited ammo is sure a bummer, but the strength of stickies is just too great for such range.

14. Lazybum

You know it isn't just sticky grenades do a ton of damage, you can also fire off 2 when a gren fires off one rpg. Something to think about.

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

What if it were a bouncing grenade? So you'd have to skip it along, and it wouldn't explode unless it hit something like a vehicle or person? :p

No, but really, can't we set nades so you can't throw the next unless the last has exploded? Or is that just crazy talk?

16. Lazybum

Hmm, I don't know. You'd have to make the fuse timer shorter I feel, 6 seconds is long ass time before tossing another one.

About making sticky nades have range, I'm not sure I like the idea but I would have to see it in practice. As long as it isn't sticky stuns for obvious reasons. There's just something odd about the idea of rifleman doing a better job against tanks then grens.

17. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Off topic for a like one second.

I necro'd one of my past suggestions and its sitting under consideration.
    Additional information has been added to the suggestion and its the last post.

This post was made because of the numerous suggestion threads that are active, and the activity in those obscured mine.
    And I wanted to bring it to anyone's attention that sits with code access to take note of it.

Thank you for your time.

18. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

Could the increased strength of gren rockets be tied to say... flagration research?

What's the current usable distance for sticky? Could there be just the slightest increase in arc? I seem to get meleed at a better distance than I can toss a sticky. (not true I'm sure, but feels like it). Currently you have to be a decent player to deliver one with out being run over. Makes it near useless for newer or less skilled players. (and I ought to know)

Once the other team rolls a number of vehicles (especially heavies) greater than the other, many head to spec or quit. Me too for that matter as a 4th of the team just left, wages too low for a good vehicle, and I know there's nothing in gren backpack that can do anything stop even a lowly APC with good armor unless it just sits there for me.

19. Lazybum

There was, and still is, a research parameter that increases the damage of infantry weapons. I think it works on ammo type, so it could be used to even improve smg or seismic damage if you wanted it to.

The problem I have with doing it this way is that it increases base damage of grens, meaning they do more damage not just to heavier tanks but to lights/apcs/buildings too and I don't think they need the damage buff against those things.