XP system

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Donald Trump, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Ranger

Ranger Member

An approximate skill system would still need many variables and multipliers. For example scoring frequency, which hasn't been mentioned because it's not obvious. That would need a multiplier imo, go figure what idk.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

@Kidpaler i didnt mean perfectly accurate either. im aware that no measure in the world, no matter how refined, could ever do that. its too much reliant on outside factors, how serious you take the game, how well your teammates perform, how you feel that day and whatnot

3. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

We should just hand over all our data to a neural network and let it figure out the best system. Insttead of discussing the fundamentals of statistics and its limitations we could just go "computer said so "

4. Ranger

Ranger Member

HL stats on viper were accurate enough for me

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

they were shit, i was rank 10 at a point, clearly overrated

6. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I have to ask, when you look at what you want from this xp system for balancing teams or who to vote in the comm seat, why not just show time played? It's an incredibly simple statistic and would quite honestly work just as well as whatever metric you would end up using to show a player has gained experience. It has the added benefit of accounting for older players who do know what they are doing but just don't play all that often.

I've heard of all the negatives associated with it, and I'm not entirely a fan either, but if you wanted to show case this idea to work just displaying time played would accomplish that.

If you are still on that e-peen thing obviously time played doesn't do much here, you would need some sort of elo system or xp system or even that basic hlstats page vipers had. I'm still not entirely for that if it would take a lot of time to implement, but I do want better balanced teams and time played would work ok here.

7. Paradox

bump, any updates?

8. Awpolt

Awpolt Member

So many posts, I feel lost, haha!

Well, what about getting rid of unused ranks? Like when you get promoted, immediately unlock a skill slot, instead of being promoted to something that literally offers no tactical value whatsoever. Additionally, what about restricting promotion points to classes, instead of having them available globally? This would potentially solve the cheese of getting ridiculous amounts of points as Engineer early on, and then changing classes.

9. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Have you not seen the [STATS COLLECTOR] Bot in the server? I believe it's gathering preliminary info atm.

10. Paradox

will it say Im number 1?

11. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

No, I'm number one!

12. Avatarix

but are you the Villain numer One?