XP system

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Donald Trump, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I dont get voted in comm even though im almost always the better pick.
    So its not a real problem since it happens already

2. Neoony

Neoony Member

This is why there should be 2 types of ranks, long time and short time.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

and how do you intend to establish a long term rank? are you going to manually rank each and every guy who ever played empires? the shitstorm aside, this would be an administrative nightmare.
    if its automatically generated from day x on, then there is no difference to what i said.

4. Neoony

Neoony Member

huh??

Pretty much same way as short term rank...with one exception... it wont deteriorate with inactivity or when performing bad.

I dont get the confusion...

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Your problem would only be a problem for a few gaming sessions. A PUG or two and it's no longer an issue.

6. Neoony

Neoony Member

To make it more clear.

Long-time rank would be basically only showing how much experience does the player have overall. Somewhat like hours played, but also based on what he does and etc....
    It would never go down.

Short-time rank would be much more like competitive leaderboards, going up or down based on player performance, activity and such...
    Just like whatever rank plugins we had.

You could much better base rewards/punishments when having 2 separate like that.

7. flasche

even steam does not show how many hours of empires i really played since it does not count the time i spent in pre 2.2smthg empires.
    im currently at like 600smthg hours. i had that in a few weeks back then, i remember having "over 200h in the past 2 weeks" at a point.

8. Neoony

Neoony Member

oh I see whats the problem now xD

Iam not talking about any past stats xD

Everyone would start from fresh so yeah, none of it would be accurate on the start of this feature of course.
    Guess I didnt read your post or respond to it properly xD
    Iam only talking about the point, that someone who plays regularly would have better rank than those who come only once in a while.
    So apply my posts only to that :D

So Long time rank would basically show your playtime/how much (possibly) experience you got in a game overall. (not really your skill)

Think we could all live with it starting at 0.

And Short time rank simply competitive/skill based. And there you could compete even with those who already have thousands of hours played in the game. And/Or you could also have monthly resets and make them "wars", or whatever else like that.
    ...which Iam guessing would be the much harder thing to implement.
    (maybe it could be just server plugin based after all...and connect it to the game properly...at least the short time rank...
    ..because any kind of competitive rankings might be tough to write from scratch)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  9. flasche

as said, if the whole thing about ranks is only about having ranks, then i couldnt care less really - tho i dont really understand what the gain would be, except maybe a promotion of elitism (yey how awesome ... not). but as soon as anyone wants to tie that into anything conerncing even the most minimal parts of gameplay - and be it the allowance to pick scoped rifle - im completely against it.

i dont want to deny i can see a bit of flavor in using it for matchmaking, but i think, due to the fact that we didnt have that for 10 years - and establishing it retroactively isnt really an option - i dont think it should (or could) be done either.

10. Ranger

Ranger Member

Maybe a medal or something could be given to people with many years of presence in the forums? That wouldn't be accurate either cause I only registered in 2014 but I don't mind, it would work for most of you.

11. Neoony

Neoony Member

Its also about assessing/identifying players better.
    Can be useful for many things.

Its also something you can look at, after spending all the hours in the game...instead of all of it just evaporating into space-time xD
    Which is personally my favorite reason. :P

...a trail of you playing the game :grinimp:

12. flasche

well you can have a look at your 2301h of playtime and deduct you spent about 143 days playing 16h a day in empires. more realistically if you only assume 4h a day, its 575 days or about one and a half year.

13. Neoony

Neoony Member

that trail sucks :sick:

flasche likes this.
  14. flasche

:D

if you divide your 2301h by the 6 years (rounded up) you are registered on the forum, you figure out you played empries for a tad over an hour per day (~383h per year)

if i divide my 12.8k posts by the 9 years i spent on the forums, you know i write a bit less than 4posts a day.

Neoony likes this.
  15. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I would like to say you are arguing based off other peoples ideas that are trying to tack it on, I do not want ANYTHING that will impact gameplay to be hindered by a ranking system. It is stupid when games do this as there is a skill gap where the good players only do better because they have more available to them. I ALSO SPECIFICALLY SAID I do not want a rank system for comm, I just want this to tie into if you are eligible for comm or not by way of doing a tutorial. I would like to say again like I said in the shoutbox and I even outlined in that post above, THIS WOULD NOT AFFECT COMMANDER VOTE.

Now, with that hopefully cleared up, a rank system could add a lot to the game. Why? Rewards, Some sort of balancing, and allowing people to accurately identify if a game is stacked or not. You say "It won't do anything" but... it'll at least provide the ability to see stacks by giving a ROUGH estimate of how good someone is. You can also then, if a team DOES have higher players, punish the team with more higher players through less res, less tickets, longer research etc or just have it auto balance right after comm vote.

Neoony likes this.
  16. Neoony

Neoony Member

plz, stop :headshot:

xD

Now I would like to know how much HOURS people spent on the forums :grinimp:
    And how many got more hours on the forums, than in the game :grinnf:

flasche likes this.
  17. flasche

@Kidpaler sry but the second paragraphs ending and the firsts start dont go together.

at least im my case too many, and im definately guilty of the later.

18. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

What are you talking about... they are two different ideas. You don't end the same as you start unless writing some paper where you have to tie it all together.

19. flasche

well in discussions following a consistent line of thought usually isnt hurtful either.

not saying its impossible you can, but i dont think you will find a post of me where i contradict myself in two paragraphs.

20. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Okay, so discredit what I just said because you didn't like how I said it. I see how this is going. The flow between the first and second paragraph goes well together, I segway into a second point, I don't understand what you aren't understanding. I really don't see why my second paragraph's ending has to match my first paragraphs beginning. This isn't an essay.