Write custom briefings for our official maps

Discussion in 'Community Requests' started by Beerdude26, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

D.D.D. Destroyer pointed out that all maps currently have the same mission briefing. Giving each official map a custom briefing that indicates points of interest (think the dam and north in emp_mvalley), useful tactics and some backstory fluff is an easy way to add some polish.

Post the mission briefing here along with the map name and the team it's for.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014
  2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

emp_isle:
    A reconnaisance vessel has reported back with information about a remote island rich with natural resources. Needless to say, securing such a location would be perfect for the cause. Command quickly organised a small force and sent it off to establish a base there. While on the way, Imperial air patrols have been spotted far away on the horizon. It is unclear how fast a Brenodi force that could pose a threat can arrive at the isle, but one thing is certain - there will be a fight.

Forward air patrols have returned with news about a small Jekotian fleet heading in an unknown direction. After a few hours of searching, one of the pilots located a small, tropical island far away from land - clearly the rebels' target. A task force has been sent off immediately to make sure they don't get a resupplying outpost right in between Imperial and Jekotian territories. However, the Northern Faction has had a significant jump on Imperial forces, so there won't be much, if any, time for fortifying the island - the Jekotians will land uncontested.

Also - can we use the second person in those briefings? Trickster was grumpy about that before, but an official dev team statement on the matter would be nice.

And - should the objectives (the part under the briefing) be changed as well? In my opinion, those should be standardised across all the classic maps so that it doesn't confuse any newbies - not to mention the fact that what we have there now is rather precise.

EDIT: Link to emp_cyclopean and emp_canyon - they're in this thread.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  3. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Since no one else has replied. If you are taking the time to write these then do as you see fit. Standardisation wouldn't be a bad thing.

Pretty much anything you write will be much better than what we have now.

Also the more that gets done the more that can be included in the next patch. I'll add DDD's descriptions to SVNpires during the week if i remember

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

emp_arid:

The long-lasting stalemate at the Arid Desert has been going on for much too long. The frontline, a long, deep canyon, far from civilization and with little economical value, has proven to be an excellent defensive position for the Imperial forces stationed to stop the Faction's assault. The surrounding area is covered in mines and unpassable for either side. Thus, the only way to break through is a major frontal attack - command has ordered for it to begin right now.

Scouts have reported that the rebel forces are mobilising their forces - it can't be a retreat, not from such a strong strategic position. As such, the commander has issued an order to prepare to hold off a Jekotian assault. While the canyon makes for an excellent defense line, Northern Faction tanks can and will push around its sides and through the underground tunnel into Brenodi ground - any advantage from fortifications won't last long. However, if the rebels bleed themselves out, Imperial forces will be able to stage a swift counterattack and secure the Jekotian side of the canyon and push these scum out of the Arid Desert.

(I hope it's not too long)

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I have a better one...

Those guys said our wives were impure whores! KELL EM ALL!

Those guys are impure! Cleans them by spilling their blood!

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

Reworked, better emp_arid for BE:

Scouts have reported that the rebel forces are mobilising - it can't be a retreat, not from such a strong strategic position. As such, the commander has issued an order to prepare for one more skirmish. While the canyon makes for an excellent defense line, tanks can and will push around its sides and through the underground tunnel into enemy ground - any advantage from fortifications won't last long. If the rebels bleed themselves out, Imperial forces will be able to stage a swift counterattack and secure the Jekotian side of the canyon and push these scum out of the Arid Desert.

7. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

The only problem with calling it the "Arid Desert" is that arid is an actual term and an "arid desert" sounds incredibly redundant.

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

I know what arid is, but it somehow seemed fitting to me :rolleyes:

9. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

I'll be adding the current descriptions by DDD this afternoon. I would assume that any contributions within the next couple of days will get added to the next patch, anything after that will have to wait until a future patch.

In terms of objectives, If you can think of something to improve them to then go ahead, but I would imagine the descriptions would be the most important bit at the minute

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

IMO objectives are good as is.

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

Are those going to go live for the playtests? I'm curious as to what the response to them is.

12. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Anything that's in the SVN when the test starts is what'll be in there. I don't really have the time to add these to the SVN, so I'm leaving this stuff to Wealthysoup. Talk to him about adding descriptions; I'm pretty certain he'll add almost anything that you write as long as it's reasonable and you remind him.

13. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Added them on 17th march as per my previous post. Candles is wanting to go live in the next few days, but if you want any more included then I'd say you have ~24 hours

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

emp_crossroads

The Jekotians now stand at a crossroads. The Imperial contingent stationed at the nearby ex-borderline guard post has been nothing but good for the local populace - there have been no acts of tyrrany or persecution here, nothing like what the rumours from other regions of Jekotia indicated. However, all the nice things in life must finally come to an end. A large supply convoy has arrived from deeper within the nation to give the local populace the equipment necessary to liberate the area and open a way into Imperial territory. But do they really want to do that?...

The border garrison is now at a crossroads. For months, their relations with the subdued Jekotians have been a shining example - there have been no complaints, no criminal offences, no revolts, nothing. Then, the uprising began, and everyone knew that blood was going to be spilled, it was just a matter of time. Now, intelligence reports indicate that Northern Faction forces are mobilising for an assault on the guard post and onwards into Imperial ground. This forced command to order an attack of their own. The garrison has no choice but to comply.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2014
  15. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Added crossroads description for the next patch. I left out the "But do they really want to do that?..." bit at the end of the NF briefing because I'm not sure if leaving a question at the end is the best way to brief a player

16. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Ohhhhh, I really like that briefing for crossroads.

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

Good call Wealthy. I kind of wanted to give them a "is this the right choice" vibe, but it really doesn't fit a briefing.

The main problem here was a distinct lack of crossroads on the map.

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

List of stock maps still to be done, for clarity's sake:

emp_bush
    emp_chain
    emp_coast
    emp_district402
    emp_duststorm
    emp_forest_Ob
    emp_glycencity
    emp_midbridge
    emp_money
    emp_mvalley
    emp_slaughtered
    emp_urbanchaos

Put this up in the OP?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  19. D.D.D. Destroyer

emp_chain:

Reports indicate that the Chain mountain airbase is now left with minimal security after the its entire fighter and bomber force flew out to engage Northern Faction forces to the east. The base is close enough to major Imperial cities and military infrastructure to allow Jekotian aircraft to perform air strikes on it. This is a perfect opportunity to move in and seize it, forcing the aircraft to either emergency land elsewhere or crash after running out of fuel, not to mention the huge advantage in the long run. A small army has been delegated to the task, and all they have to do is overrun the remaining defenders before Imperial aircraft can react.

A lookout post has reported Jekotian movement behind the frontline. A small force has somehow slipped past Brenodi units and is headed straight for the airbase. All the air units that are usually stationed in the Chain base are currently engaging enemies a few hours to the east, but they won't be able to support the ground forces as they are running low on fuel and ammunition and must evacuate to other bases. No ground forces are close enough to assist in the defence, either. The garrison must take on the brunt of the Northern Faction assault and push them out of the area.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
  20. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Added for the next patch