Wikipedia Article

Discussion in 'General' started by Krenzo, Oct 25, 2006.

1. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

the admins haven't done anything yet.

2. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

We would do VERY WELL to limit the amount of stupid attacks we are creating with our opposal to the deletion. Many empires players are making the situation worse by adding nonsensical comments and attacks. Please stop, there are very legitimate reasons to keep this article alive. Please direct your efforts toward reading the current comments, reading Wiki guidelines, and editing the actual article to conform to those guidelines.

Supaste, DeadReckoning, Nuka5: You hurt the debate by insulting these admins. Please add to the debate in a positive way or do not add anything. Though it is inappropriate, they are judging the site based on poorness of our arguments. That being said, there have been many good arguments brought forth, and I think we have done a good job debating for the page's existence.

The longer the Empires article stays in its current form, the more ground those arguing for its deletion will have to stand on.

[Edit] I went ahead and Deleted a huge swath of the article. As I deleted the last buildings section, a single tear of loss rolled down my face. It still needs editing, but it is a lot more focussed now.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  3. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

Did anybody look at Kinslayer's discussion page? I don't think I can value his opinions any longer.

4. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Need to add stuff about the actual gameplay
    Fan created content that's now official
    BSID's research etc server and how the community is shaping how the game is played etc.

5. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

6. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

Ya, but I didnt like the way he sound so i felt he deserved it. Anyways you got any cake yet?

my brain becomes fried after 8 hours of College every day. Then next year, I got med school, imma become a psycho and kill everyone, damn ;/ Im crazy XD

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  7. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

By the way did anyone mention that the initial release was also aviable as .torrent and several updates after it? And there's no way of counting the amount of downloads by .torrent. I for example downloaded the 1.0Beta through .torrent due to the fact that I had a bit edgy connection when the mod was released and I've never gotten a corrupted file through torrents.

8. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Getting a corrupt download through a torrent means you have a crappy torrent client. Torrent files, I believe, contain basically checksums of segments of the file, thus ensuring that the downloaded segments are good.

Other than that, the wikipedia page looks good now.

Possible additions would be a brief discussion of how the mod has grown since 1.0 (talk about early versions having lag and other bugs?), and where the mod will likely go from here (BLIMBS!).

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

here's an outline of the arguements, for those that don't want to scrall through the mess that is that discussion page:

Arguements against it's deletion:
    -"non notable", and so does not deserve a page of its own.
    -"player manual", not wiki policy to have player manuals. thus, the wiki must be changed to a more factual acount, showing the history, where it's going, it's importance.
    -"not a social gathering point", part of the purpose of the wiki, to attract people as well as to inform them, is against wiki policy. if the wiki appears only to be to attract people, then it will be deleted.
    -"not viable sources", if it looks like it was just made by a developement team looking to advertise their game, it will be deleted. = [

after people talked to the administrators that started this, they appear to be "canvased" and "harrassed", where people have asked those admins starting it to please change their vote and give the mod a chance. this is apparently grounds to delete the page also.

after krenzo's very legitimate message inspiring people to create accounts and show their support, the admins believe that all of these one post accounts are "sock puppets", which is where one person creates multiple accounts to make their view look widely supported. thus, they do not count these posts as legitimate.

Arguements against it's deletion:
    -very notable, many people play it
    -edited by many sources, all of the information is factual. no sources seem to be the problem?
    -many people clearly care about it.

does that sound right? imo it's clearly a keeper.

10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

grr double post. sorry

11. Angry

Angry Junior Member

I'm beginning to think their the ones sockpuppeting, possibly from another mod but actually I think the most likely person it could be is General1337 or a possible goon of his trying to get revenge. We got to think outside hte box on this one because so far every solid fact that has blown the reasons for deleting the article out of the water but they still don't seem to understand what reasoning or common sense is. Like they're trying to remove the article because they hate us.

12. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I have to admit, from their point of view there is a very good reason to delete these kind of pages, but like Angry says, their comments are taking it too far,
    and it just doesn't apply to the empires page.

Is Krenzo wrong for admitting the page gives a decent amount of traffic in public? Is Empiresmod not notable because it doesnt have proper pr?

Shouldnt decent traffic mean people are actually interested in the page and the game, and shouldnt it be about what Empiresmod has achieved instead of how many people they have hyped.

and far more important, how is this notable: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_2142
    :P

13. FalconX

FalconX Developer

I disagree. I don't think anyone there has actually supported their point. All they've done is posted with a, "yup, delete: WP:V, WP:RS, WP:GQ," etc. As yet noone has actually supported their claims.

14. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Uhm, Are these admins oblivious? They CAN check the IPs I'm sure of the post. If they'd do a quick check, they'd probably find that they were all in different geographical locations, and that they aren't proxies either...no?

15. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

They did change their term for everyone from "sockpuppet" to "meatpuppet" once they realized we were real people posting, not that it raises us out of the "subhuman" category in their eyes. This has been a huge waste of time for me, and I don't care what they do anymore. I just wish that they had put a message declaring: "If you aren't a wikipedia editing whore whose e-penis is measured in how many articles you've added/edited, then don't bother posting because you're less than human in our eyes. If you do have a valid point, however, we will put our fingers in our ears and begin to yell so that we can't hear you."

I can't wait until the final judgement comes around, and it turns out that the "impartial" admin or whoever turns out to be the ewok guy. Also, I like how they keep changing their arguments once we fix things. "Oh, Empires has been written about in publications which satisfies the guidelines for notability? Well, then the article still doesn't belong because it's a game guide. Oh, you modified the article to make it less of a game guide? Well, then it's wrong that you're informing new people about the mod and getting visitors to your site. NOW DON'T TRY TO ARGUE WITH ME! THIS ARTICLE VIOLATES EVERY SINGLE WIKIPEDIA GUIDELINE BECAUSE I SAY SO, AND I'VE EDITED WAY MORE WIKIPEDIA ARTICLES THAN YOU EVER WILL SO YOU DON'T MATTER!"

"This is the only contribution by user Krenzo and his e-penis is too small for his opinion to matter. Wikipedia Admins, ignore the above comment!"

16. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

lmao. good post ^^. good points.

17. FalconX

FalconX Developer

An interesting message, from an interesting editor.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  18. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I'm sorry FalconX, but your post violates WP:RS as you did not put a Footnotes/References section at the bottom of your post and cite reliable sources (note that the only reliable sources are the mouths of Wikipedia admins). I will have to label you as a meat puppet now.

19. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

** Please note that this is the ONLY mod that Krenzo has commented on, and so his opinions really don't count. arguements that do count that do count are :
    "Delete: same as admin..."

20. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I highlighted the word that strikes me odd here... These people don't even know for which game this mod is for crying out loud! And they think that they know if it's notable or not. :D "My e-penis is bigger than yours truly." XD