Wikipedia Article

Discussion in 'General' started by Krenzo, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empires

Our article on Wikipedia has been nominated for deletion. I'd like it if everyone could go over to the discussion area for the article (via the tab at the top of the article), and voice their opinion on whether it should remain or deleted. It is an important issue as we get a decent amount of traffic from people who discover the article.

2. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I tend to agree with what one person said - its a game guide...not anything about history of the game itself.

3. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

4. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

There's wrong information in the entry(like the release date, it was released last march not july as far as I know... On the other hand the box says the right date.), but still I don't see why in the name of hell those hippies would like to get it deleted. It is a f-ing encyclopedia ffs a place for information. :mad:

And supaste to make it sure those buggers will take your vote seriously change the reason for keeping.

5. Caelo

Caelo Member

or you could just put some more information about the history of empires in there somewhere...

6. Caelo

Caelo Member

Im sure this post will shut every "Delete"-persons mouth:

Keep THIS mod has a growing community, and as it is a more complicated mod, seriously requires a database whereby new players can learn how to play. Non Notable? http://www.steampowered.com/status/game_stats.html is evidence that it receives almost a million player minutes per month, and is more widely played than The Battle grounds and Half Life 2 Capture the flag. At highest, I have seen this mod generate almost 2 million player minutes. but this is a growing mod, and to introduce new players to it, they require an accessable source of information. without this, the mod, the community, the several clans, and the hours and hours of hard work will die.

Rally nice, whoever-wrote-this!

7. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

But if they only count votes... I really don't know how wikipedia works when it comes down to deleting stuff... Personally I compare this to going into a library and burning random books, just because someone doesn't like the cover... Anyways we need big and sturdy arguments for Keeping. Like the fact that the information is indeed from an official source(the sources just seem to be in the external link category).

8. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

why should it have to be about the history though? Wikipedia isn't a history book .. it's a knowledge base.

I bet many of the people who want to delete the page have never even played the game.

9. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Yeah, supaste, change your vote to something a little more meaningful so that they take you seriously.

10. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I don't know how to nominate it for keeping.

EDIT: I do have to say it doesn't really describe the game all that well. It just has a short description, history and then a bunch of statistics that would mean nothing to anyone who doesn't play the game regularly.

I believe it needs some heavy improving or I would unfortunately have to agree with the reasons behind the deletion proposal.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  11. arklansman

arklansman Member

Perhaps more of the storyline should be added into the article so it is less of a game guide (like the one guy says) and more about the actual game.

BTW, I like your entry supaste.
    It made me :D

12. ^Dee^

I would recommend checking out the natural selection article for a good example

13. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

You go to the page where people list their reasons for keeping or deleting the article. Then, log in to your Wikipedia account and edit the page. Add your comment to the bottom of the list while trying to follow the guidelines set out in the other comments.

I like the comment where the person points out that Wikipedia is here for people to edit and improve articles. Good job.

The person who nominated the article for deletion is out looking for blood. He nominated it by saying it's "NN" which is their way of saying "Not Notable" or it doesn't deserve to have its own article which seems rather negative to me. It's not the way it's written. If you'll look on his own personal user wiki article, the guy pats himself on the back for managing the "Weapons of Half-Life 2" article. Someone in the discussion for the deletion of Dystopia's article brought this up saying how is his page that's just a list of HL2's weapons and stats a notable article and yet a decent article about a popular game mod is not worthy to have its own article.

14. ^Dee^

Yea, figured it out and posted to keep :)

15. FalconX

FalconX Developer

Actually, his barnstar seems to be recognizing his efforts in Weapons of Halo 2. :p

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  16. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

What?! Oh my, what a mistake I made. I thought it said HL 2. Haha, that makes absolutely no sense because the Halo 2 weapons article is completely worthless. If anything, that's an article that should be deleted. The Weapons of Half-Life 2 page is actually well written and has a decent amount of information. I propose we nominate the Weapons of Halo 2 for deletion. Maybe that will change his viewpoint and stop him from going on the offensive against other worthwhile articles.

17. Chahk

Chahk Member

I put my 2 cents worth into the discussion and added download counters to the article.

18. FalconX

FalconX Developer

Chahk should edit his post to say "weapons of halo 2" now. :p

And also, posted.

19. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

My thoughts

20. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

AHAHAHA i suck at Wiki editings =D!!!!!!!!!! i didnt know how to post so i just edited the page, then i put it in that discussion thing, my god i suck at this, and i really hate that wicket guy, we should make a thread about him.... AHA i shall make him a demon in the holy bible wooooo, wicket hate threads... ok lets not do that, the guy's a dick tho.