Why is the sniper rifle going to be cut?

Discussion in 'General' started by Empty, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Empty

Empty Member

The question on every new forum members lips, this thread will contain the definitive answer, once I've finished with this thread in a calm collected manner, all threads continuing to bitch and moan about it's removal will be met with a nice cup of rage.

[​IMG]

So, why is the sniper rifle going, there's a host of reasons, so let's put them in a numbered list!

1. The Sniper Rifle is a liability to the team.
    Every minute a player sits down on a hill waiting for an enemy unit to come by is a minute wasted. You could spend that minute constructing things, assaulting the enemy team, or even just jacking off. You may argue, 'But I kill people!' In empires, 99% of all kills matter for next to nothing. Unless tickets are below 10, your kill hasn't changed a thing! Rifleman can mow down several people in one clip, in about 20 seconds, I highly doubt you can do the same.

2. The Sniper Rifle doesn't fit with how empires gameplay works.
    Empires is all about direct fire, the idea is, if your enemy shoots at you, you can shoot back. There's no indirect long range fire in empires, except the sniper rifle making it the only weapon in that category. Many people have suggested replacing all the other weapons to make empires into some kind of sniper game. I'm sorry, but uh. No.

3. The Scout is a front line class.
    Scouts gather intelligence and stay at the front lines providing the team with information and targets. A sniper is sitting up in a building, probably in his own turf defending, not very useful! You may argue, 'But I use the rifle in close quarters!' that's great, but you'll just get raped by riflemen and look like a dumbass, as well as that, how many other scouts use it like that? Exactly.

4. Being Sniped Sucks.
    It's that simple, nobody likes being killed instantly by someone they didn't know was there, at least when I get melee'd in the back it's my own fault for not paying attention. But when you get headshotted, it seems unfair. Because of this, snipers don't just piss off their own team for being useless, they also piss off the enemy team.

5. Snipers don't matter in a video game.
    Why? Because you can respawn, I've never been pinned down by a sniper, because I know I can just rush forward and shoot him, if I die, I can respawn, maybe even grab a tank.

6. The scout rifle slanders the names of good scouts.
    Many a time I've been ignored for being a scout, even though I carry an SMG and kill more rifleman than I can count, people who scout properly, with an SMG and by sneaking and relaying info, are actually helpful to the team, so long as they don't idle like a sniper does.

7. Snipers don't sabotage.
    Because snipers are up to their arse in friendly territory, they never reach the front lines to sabotage. Sabotage is an excellent tool in siege and breaking an enemies final defence, usually a barracks full of engineers.

8. Snipers don't gain skill points.
    It's that simple, by idling and staying out of the heat, snipers don't gain free squad points, and they certainly don't gain enough points to help in the lategame where people with 40 points are essentially running the show.

I think that's all, presented calmly. Thanks for reading.

This has been a
    RAGELESS Empty Production.

2. Demented

Demented Member

Will the real Empires PR representative please stand up?

Actually, it's not so bad. Just...

Point 2 is flawed. Long range indirect fire: Artillery tank.
    Half the rest of it is that riflemen just do it better.

3. Empty

Empty Member

Artillery tanks rarely get used. And if you can't shoot them down then you've turtled so bad you deserve a nice cup of HE rain.
    Some stay dry others feel the pain, HE rain...
    Lol imagine me as the Empiresmod PR guy. The horror.

4. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

Snipers always piss me of; it seems to be a conspiracy that all the idiots go sniper.
    In Empires, they go scout + sniper.
    In TF2, they go Sniper class.
    In CS:S, they buy [Automatic] Snipers.
    And it's common they fail at sniping, those who can do sniping, usually don't sniping. Also it's quite common that sniper like to stack. Why use a differnt class if you can have 80% snipers in one team? :S

Anyway, I know a very good alternative to the Sniper (for those who cry to loose the sniper). The APC.
    APC?!!?!
    Yes, the APC. Switch your class to engineer and purchase a APC with 3x STD MGs bound on primary fire. Now go and drive to locations where enemy infantry is around and try to kill them with your APC from Range (aim at head); try to avoid tanks and leave your APC to repair it.
    If you are doing it right you can get a lot of kills without dying. Later on you can switch to a tank and use your awared skill points.

P.S.: APC serve as Spawn Point and Ammo/Health Supply, so your teams befine aswell!

5. Empty

Empty Member

This isn't a reasons not to snipe,, this is the reasons it's being cut, to prevent people making godamn threads.

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Suprisingly, Empty won todays WIN award.

7. De_Ghost

De_Ghost Member

you know i really like the sniper rifle
    it's the best rifle to loose with and still have fun lol
    the onlything to use that's more fun when loosing is stickies

8. Empty

Empty Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
    HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! >:o

9. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

I like to run the cv into the enemy lands when we lose :) That's about the same thing.

10. Empty

Empty Member

I just research sub tech, instant victory.

Once, the CV was smoking and surrounded by DUAPCs, I rushed into the water and died literally 0.3 seconds after sinking, my team said it was unfair that they got griefed. /facepalm

11. KernCore

KernCore Member

???

Empires without snipers?
    then i can delete this game!

12. Empty

Empty Member

Empty won't miss you.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

What he said ^^

14. Empty

Empty Member

I'll put it in my cabinet :)

15. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

Yes, I agree, this thread is win, as is empty today.

16. Empty

Empty Member

I should stay up til 4am more often.

17. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Players having fun with the whole game minus the ranged rifle and players having fun with the ranged rifle are mutually exclusive in Empires, only one can happen at any given time.

18. Empty

Empty Member

Someone disprove this, maybe we can cause armageddon before the LHC does. Or should I say, the Halo does. [Fucking dumb shits, they voted halo over the anything half life related, there's not even an apocalyptic machine of doom in Halo, just a fucking ringworld. ASASDHAJDFHADSFHLDSAGHADSGA]

19. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Great post, this thread should be stickied and any new thread regarding the sniper rifle locked.

If you haven't alrerady you should try out some different ways to play: try scout with an SMG and try sabbing some buildings or meleeing people, go rifleman and stick with your squad and rack up lazor kills, or go super necro engineer and revive people between building stuff, or go grenadier and try and kill some tanks and mowtar headshot people, or you could go crazy and try driving a tank. You might even enjoy playin commander.

If the only aspect of Empires that appeals to you is sniping then you are playing the wrong game anyway, and won't be missed.

20. Empty

Empty Member

I agree, this thread is great, let's sticky it. I love the OP, he's so awesome. I'd make sweet love to him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.