why do people not play empires?

Discussion in 'General' started by OuNin, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I tried blocking spec but then people just sat in unassigned. You can't really win.

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

basically 80% of the player base. Even worse if they are casually talking when playing and not speccing.

3. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

The cause of all of this messed up shit is this, the steep learning curve.

Without a steep learning curve vets wouldnt have to stack, cause newbs wouldnt be that big of a newbs if they could catch up to the game fast, but they dont, so they fucked and vets cant be asked to help everyone out 2 hours a day untill everyone gets it, vets are players too, they play the game to have fun not to teach some new players how to play, okay if they help them here and there but that wont be enough since the learning curve is fucking huge, when we had a bigger vet community and more willing players everyone pitched in a bit and you learned the game faster than you would now with a smaller vet community.

Vets stack cause vets want to play a game where they actually get revived, get squad revived, healed, ammo dropped, refs dropped all that smooth shit and squad play. Vets want to have fun.

4. Paradox

viper is shit. Shit admins, shit maps, shit policy.

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

yeah its steep if you are braindead ...

edit:
    almost every RTS out there has a steeper learning curve.

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Weren't you a newb once as well? Everyone here on these forums were newbs except maybe the original dev team. And you can't even say that we are seasoned vets who have been playing for years, most of the players here were at a good level within a month or two.

7. Paradox

"when we had a bigger vet community and more willing players everyone pitched in a bit and you learned the game faster than you would now with a smaller vet community."

I started playing when the community still had nuff vets willing to help

8. Paradox

because every other rts has a better updated wiki, better gui and better dev team. It's steep cause players dont have acces to all the information they need without spending over 9000 hours googling and searching these fuck uped forums that are being kept up by trolls and what not

9. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Spec wouldn't be such a big deal if people weren't such faggots about it. It's so fucking often that I see a 4v4 on emp_mvalley with 20 players just masturbating to the sound of each others voices.

10. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Your arguments flawed. When myself and others started playing on the day of release (1.0) there wasn't much in the way of vets and we managed. The biggest confusion was around the command vehicle.

These days the only real difference is the attitude newbs are subject to in game

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I just shout at people who don't listen. I don't care if they are bad at English, play muted or are deaf.

12. Paradox

hey dawg, when you played you guys had players to play with, when I played it went in declinealready, so your argument is flawed cause you take my argument out of the context cause you're a dick.

13. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

I didn't take it out of context. However, you've contradicted yourself and now appear stupid. (even though some of the things you were getting at were good points)

The problem is the 'vets' raging at the newbs that want to learn. Isle a few days ago was a good example of this. Be comm was a newb but was wanting to learn and willing to listen to advice (lordz was helping him ou. Instead of advice he got raged at and although I havnt had time to play I havnt seen him in the server browser since. Ironically I think you were there and joined in the rage.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  14. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Oh and FYI. This is taking your argument out of context. See the difference?

15. Paradox

how did you not take it out of context? U compared my argument that is adjusted to my situation and put it in your situation ( 1.0 ) , when the game launched and when it won best mod and what not => you had a lot of players.

Explain how I contradicted myself, I said that when I played I still had vets helping me but the game was in decline. These days the game is still in decline but even further than when I started => less vets to help

16. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

And my point is that your argument was flawed as myself and many others managed just fine in 1.0 without vet help. Therefore that proves the learning curve isn't too steep and the problem is based more on how the community treats them.

Now if you still think that's even taking your argument remotely out of context your just wasting my time.

17. 101010

101010 Member

To me it is a waist of time.
    I started to make maps a few times then stopped due to the state of empires.
    Never knowing if empires will even be worth playing by time the map would be finished. I have years of mapping exp in DOD. Have a few ideas for some Emp maps but the detail I put into maps makes creating them a bit time consuming. Only descent mapper I have seen for empires is Terminator. His maps are pretty decent. Empires has a lot of great maps but most got broke with the steam release and never fixed. Even ones that did get fixed or even new ones that are made never seem to be on the servers. Good example is money. There has been two good remakes + hoots version. Yet we get stuck with original shit version.
    It may just be a coincidence but back when we had better maps in the map vote we had a more stable community.
    I guess the simple answer is bug the shit out of Vicki / Craig to update the viper map list or ask Trickster to start a US based Epic server. *Reason- Even tho Epic has a better map rotation 90% of the population plays on the US server.

18. Paradox

The difference is , there will always be people that will carry on without help, why do you think our community has slimmed? Cause not everyone carried on and hardened through learning themself. You're implying everyone is like you and everyone will carry on learning themself. This is where you go in to the wrong.

Stop being so arrogant and a dick towards vets, you cant blaim them for wanting to have fun.

19. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

I assume I can be a dick to you then?

Bet more new players leave the game because of the attitude they receive than the other players being better. That,as I have stated several times (and which you have actually acknowledged) is why I think the community has slimmed. I also bet that you can't disprove that statement.

Btw: your the one that started the bitching so it's a bit unfair to call me an arrogant dick.

Edit: does anyone else see a time when I was bitching about vets or is paradorx twisting words again?

Edit 2: theoretically if your argument about players that will always carry on without vet help was correct then the community wouldn't be slimming as you put it. Otherwise the community would typically stay the same size. Surely that suggests to you that something else has changed?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  20. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

And I started from a version that vets didn't play, 2.23, and I still picked the game up quickly.