why do people not play empires?

Discussion in 'General' started by OuNin, Aug 13, 2012.

1. OuNin

OuNin Member

why you think not that many people play empires?

2. Apex

Apex Member

Pretty much why I quit:
    Majority of community hates new players so game doesn't get new players
    Done everything already
    Gimmick maps
    Anytime I get on it's 7 vets vs 6 people who stumbled onto the game and maybe 1 vet who doesn't care about winning or was unable to stack. Meanwhile there's 7 people in unassigned for 2 minutes waiting to stack then they either leave or jump into spectate and specpires.

3. complete_

complete_ lamer

the last time anybody did any sort of pr was when 2.2 was released, and that was just a 45 sec teaser video (go ahead and watch it now and see how much things have changed)

if people with the means to make a trailer would, empires would have more players

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  4. 101010

101010 Member

No matter what time you play empires it is the same thing. Money, crossroads, coast, and canyon. Some times in different order or some times another map in between. But it is repetitive playing the same maps the same way day after day. Both servers have plenty of maps but people always vote maps they know best.

Besides that....Lack of updates. Competition...Dayz, BF3, A million other new games. A new free to play game every week on steam. Players getting too long of a ban / perma banned for simple things. Break down of all clans except Epic and that one that never scrims. Stacking , too much spec, Too much mic spam.

5. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

If I had to pick the top three things, I'd say the community rejecting new players, the long amount of time between updates, and the Source engine. Mostly the community; there's a very large number of new players that try out the game every week and they're either stacked against and rage quit or treated like shit. It's easy enough to say that they would've left anyway and were just looking for another Call of Duty, and there is some merit in that, but from what I've seen the players that are treated kindly tend to stay more often than not.

6. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

sourcemods are just slow in general lately. Its past it's prime

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

all the above plus infantry vs tank balance. not being able to take on tanks, especially as new player, is a major turnoff ...

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

If Source Filmmaker ever allows Empires and I have time, I'll sit around and rage at the screen trying to make a trailer/video.

9. OuNin

OuNin Member

but would people play a bad game with a bad community

10. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Just load up FRAPS, hop in the CV for a 20v20 round of Duststorm/Slaughtered/Money, spec a good rifleman or gren on an infantry map, get some mad handbrake turn shots, overlay with Reznov's Empires Rap, show off Empty's particle sex, end it with a bit on Rainbowroad, Octagons or a crazy CV chase to the Benny Hill song and you've got film. A few shots of shit exploding here and there and you're golden. Bonus points if stuff ends up in synch with the music.

I'd do it myself if I had any idea how to edit film. All I know how to do is encode audio/video.

11. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

I did play it yesterday, but I did ragequit when my team decided that it was much safer to stay in seat3 in mvalley on the apc, than move it.

and when they finally moved it, they went for the wooden bridge and into the water.

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA8z8LJIshY

there are only 2 obvious changes. no comm targets anymore and plasma looks differently.

13. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

DayZ has meant a bunch of vets/players who aren't stacking faggots have not played in the past couple weeks, killing off server pop, meaning shitty maps have to be played, and just generally ensuring servers remain relatively empty.

We need Empires 2.

14. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

I played the lat two days again and was amazed by the good quality of rounds, I don't know what you people are on about.

Dayz is getting boring again, most games that everyone has bought during summer sale are shitty enuff to not get played at all, blargh blarrgh bluuarrgh..

@LordDz, please keep playing, just don't PM confusing "plz gag" stuff anymore, when I am actually playing and am not involved in ongoing player waterboarding. that was the only part where I got pissed of by empires again, not because of you, but because of my fail admin decisions in weird situations.

15. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I tried to play Empires last night, as did quite a few EPICs. Within about 10 minutes, I was banned for little to no reason, and that ended that. Most of the EPICs left, and that Sunday night Empires plan was over. Kind of sad.

16. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

You were pushed of the rainbowroad as com and moojuice thought you had just driven it of backwards and banned you. :pathetic:

17. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

He didn't think that. I asked Craig about an unban, and Moojuice felt that "because I laughed as I died" it meant that I did it on purpose. Vicki refused to unban. So fuck those lot. There was no mistake in the matter. Banning someone for getting rammed off the edge on Rainbowroad is abhorrent. To me, it's just "Big man wanting to ban someone important" to make himself feel better. All he did was ruin a night where a lot of vets were looking to play. It's pathetic.

18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

The community are a bunch of prats, basically. I think because the game feels it doesn't really have a direction or a future, most anyone else has put in their 110% and then just left.

I feel like a year or so of Krenzo pushing forward again like he had done in the past might actually bring this game back to the fore, since it still has a lot more to offer. And people would rally around it for another push, since they're not all as jaded as they pretend.

But that's not likely to happen, since he's gotta eat too, I guess.

And before you say it, yeah, I know the source scene is a different place now, but if this mod had someone with time to push it forward, there's still a lot of space for it as a game. It's still a great game.

19. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

Some people say stacking but honestly I've barely seen any at all the last 6 months or so, it used to be way worse. I might just be online at the wrong time though.
    I'd say the main issue is that both Source and Empires are starting to really show it's age, and even finding the mod section on Steam is not super obvious.

20. beeng

beeng Member

>come back to play empires after a few years away
    >see the community still killing the game

:(

That said though, I played yesterday and it was quite fun... after I muted all the raging nerds on VOIP