What do you think the commander vehicle should be?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Lazybum, May 17, 2014.

1. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I was agreeing with you for agreeing with me.

2. 101010

101010 Member

How hard would it be to have the CV lose all plates of armor when a team has no spawn?
    Nothing kills a server more then the 10 minute CV chase.

3. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I opted in for a suicide button ages ago but it got rejected.
    I want to kill everyone around me before I loose.

4. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

CV chases rarely last more than 3 minutes nowadays; Empires rounds tend to feel longer than they actually are when they're short. I once saw someone complaining about how the team hadn't gotten a VF yet when it'd already been 20 minutes, even though the clock said it'd only been 7 since the round started XD

What really kills a server is rapid map changes, whether through RTVing, admin action, rushing or griefing. I've seen servers get their pop cut by over half in less than 20 minutes due to constant map changes.

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Gonna have to agree with that, people want to play empires, and they don't really get the chance.

6. 101010

101010 Member

@ Candles your right. But 3 minutes feels like forever. I was mainly talking about the rushes at the start of a map. Where one team kills the others starting tax then takes forever to kill the CV. I have seen that dragged out for a half hour many of times.

Maybe allow people to vote kick the com even when they are dead would help.

7. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

You mean com running and the like? Yeah kick voting while dead could fix that.

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

The last person alive usually suicides unless they are a scout hiding at the far end of the map. Of all the ways to grief a team, I don't see this particular one as a problem.

9. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

People love downloading custom maps.

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

With no spawns left, you spawn as a gun in the CV. You can't get out, but you can shooty shoot at things.

Putting aside that that's a terrible idea for a moment, it would be awesome fun, wouldn't it? ;)

11. ImSpartacus

I wish we could have awesome shirt like this in a mini game like situation.

Empires gets dull and I'd love to have a map with one giant vehicle that drives through a course with a dozen guns firing at defending soldiers.

It would be horrible, but I'd still enjoy it in the same way that mini games are enjoyable.

12. Minato

Minato Member

A vote at the start of the game for each team to decide what sort of CV they want - a slow, tough one, a fast but weak one or the regular.

Yeah, it's stupid...

Boomtanking is a genuine strategy that I don't consider should be prevented completely. Granted, new players and inexperienced commanders should just stay in their damn base, but if you have a comm that can juggle between helping to soak up fire/push the front line, and keep bases, expansions and research running, why not?
    It's a calculated risk, and whoever takes it should be prepared to take consequences. That not necessarily being a ban, just having your name remembered as a "boomtanking fag that's good for nothing" is bad enough, isn't it?

13. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

It's bad because they don't do risk calculations, the often times don't let their team know they're doing it and 95% of the people who do it don't have any idea on what they're doing. They go ahead of their team, they drive around the enemy barracks on their own. Some people are good at it and know what they're doing. Others, like Hobbes, it's fine because they're so well known for it that the players know what to expect when they vote him in. But in most situations, it's essentially griefing.

You seriously need to ask the question. When a player boomtanks and gets the CV blown up, is there really a difference versus them griefing and getting the CV blown up? If I'm a player on the field, all I know is that the CV is dead and it's not my team's fault.

14. Minato

Minato Member

If the commander lets you know he's doing it and it's necessary because the rest of the team are in tanks or there aren't other engineers nearby - in that situation I believe it can't be simply equated to griefing.

I acted pretty stupid a couple days ago on that Coast match, so sorry if I pissed you off, Candles. But all's well that ends well, I got away fine.

I feel that there's a severe lack of communication between the commander and the players, and what the commander can do to genuinely alert his team of dangers.
    One point target is only useful in infantry skirmishes. It gives one player extra awareness and advantage, but it's not all that useful beyond that.
    Text chat is just... suicide for a comm. Takes way too long, and what if you end up hitting All-chat? (You're an unattentive idiot, cough)
    Built in voice chat is almost there, but there is major lag between players - I can sometimes hear my voice echo in other people's communications 10-15 seconds after I actually said it.
    Teamspeak works, and sounds great, but who the hell could organize whole teams to use it in pubs?

For all these reasons, the players themselves also have trouble trusting their commander. I've had people on my team swarm me when they heard "The Commander is under attack" when it was just bullets hitting me from some random direction - even though I told them there's no danger and they need to move out.

Perhaps the commander should have his own F-menu? With general shit like "Help, I'm in trouble!" "Killspawn!" or "Get Refs".
    Is that a stupid idea?

Ninja rushes are fine. It takes effort to organize one, and sucks for you and your team if you really aren't paying attention and just let an APC or engi get through unnoticed.
    The speed/armor values that the commanders have now are perfect if you ask me. The size, not so much. BE comm feels easier to drive to me, just because it can squeeze through places.

15. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I found this amusing, I think it is different for every commander. I know I get hit by random bullets or something I simply get asked "you ok?" and that's it. They don't killspawn or anything immediately.

16. ImSpartacus

I get asked that rather often. :3

The handling is fucking garbage on both of them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm plenty used to the NF CV and the BE CV is basically easy mode by comparison, but they both could be so much better.

17. Metruption

Metruption Member

In halo 3 on the sandstorm map there were elephants, those were fucking cool. We should get something like those in empires

18. ImSpartacus

I know, right?

That shit was so awesome. I can't believe they weren't in Halo 4.

19. Metruption

Metruption Member

somebody should hack together a map with blimps from tropicvendetta but you can drive them around like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REh50oK3OFg and then grens can rpg it a bunch and tanks shoot it and it has a built in vf with tanks that come down on parachute platforms but its really slow and also it should have a refinery node and a cannon that lets you hop into a jeep and shoot it at the ground really fast like an odst from halo

20. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

-0.33% hull a second if your team doesn't have a barracks and your not in com view. 5 minutes and the com dies.