What do you think the commander vehicle should be?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Lazybum, May 17, 2014.

1. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

My idea of a commander was always sitting in a fortified bunker or entrenched position staring at table like this one.

[​IMG]

Pushing the little pieces around like a game of risk and making calculations on enemy positions and deciding how carefully to tread with each piece.

Knowing the deep sense of dread that each little piece represent actual people and the willingness to believe that the slightest off beat can end the entire campaign.
    I think a commander position should feel like there are consequences to their actions regardless of intent than actual base placement.

The commander position feels like a title with no bite, anyone can do the job of placing buildings and using a good tech tree, its the team that wins the game and looses the game.
    I just feel like a munitions clerk, buying supplies and sending them to their correct destinations, and occasionally giving advice hoping it will be used correctly.

2. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Just what we need... Another unintuitive game mechanic that makes no sense and isn't shown to the player in any way.
    :headshot:

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I agree. I mean the team should be the ones that win the game, but the commander doesn't feel too interactive these days and is sometimes a little boring...usually when you don't take the position by choice.

Just want to throw this in there, but a wider idea might be to tie in the ticket system with this. I mean there have been numerous suggestions that respawning have an additional effect on respawn time (e.g. first few respawns take only a second or two, then next couple 5 seconds, then next few 10, etc)...oh, or alternatively tickets used could be the respawn timer count, just plain and simple. Making revives more important overall.

Or alternatively, have an instant respawn cost a few more tickets, or perhaps add a number of seconds to the rest of your respawns (e.g. respawn instantly but add 2 seconds to all your other respawns).

Overall, this is a wider issue that isn't just about how quickly people can take down the CV but more about how quickly reinforcements arrive.

When I read your post, I was thinking...maybe it might be good if the commander could transform into a building, sacrificing movement but gaining additional damage resistance and perhaps a couple of turrets (maybe mannable). Or it might instead just be a place which has an access panel to commander view, but would sound a warning when being attacked and would have arrow-slits and so forth for the commander to shoot out of.

The interesting thing about this idea would be when it transforms into the CV it might have more speed and less armour, and would then be something people could catch more easily...so it's either a fortified building (which would still be able to be taken out by an apc rush) or in a form which encourages more aggressive front-line behaviour. Which would basically mean when you saw a CV, it'd be your gold ticket...but for commanders or games which didn't want to take that chance, it'd be a sort of stable fortress to command from.

Eeh...I'm not exactly sold on this idea, but I thought I'd throw it out there as food for thought.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

make comm a normal player. obviously while in comm mode the player cannot control his avatar, so it should be put in a permanent crouch state (or ideally playing some special command animation where he looks at some touchpad or whatever, as long as he is ducked)

it would instantly remove all the boredom from commanding. you could be at the front and shoot at eachother, you can run around in tanks and shoot at eachother.
    ofc if you die you cannot command, nor pass commanding to another player - which should be requestable by other players. if comm drops or leaves the next most votes (remove opt in/out votes btw) player turns comm (and also a colorful text notice in top center of his screen - make it blinking and beeping and everything required so you notice). if original comm returns, he can request being comm and is automatically granted the position as soon as the current comm leaves comm mode.

maybe keep the cv as victory condition or find something else like remove all instances of a special building type :p

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Holy shit when did this become the terrible idea thread.

6. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

After like the first page or two.

7. FN198

FN198 Member

if you're going to make it take longer to kill, make it take longer to repair...

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

ITT: People who think there's a problem with the current commander system.

The only thing that needs fixing are the models themselves (which will never happen anyway), but the entire system is perfect.

9. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

No it is not.

10. FN198

FN198 Member

I agree, Grant. The system as it is now is calibrated just right with the exception of cv sizes. The NF commander is much more vulnerable than the BE commander. Although the game is beautifully asymmetrical overall, the one thing that should absolutely be equivalent is the size of each team's command vehicle.

11. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Reducing rpg mortar and rifle grenades by 33 damage = fucking retarded shit.

12. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Because it makes BS ninja attempts harder?...

13. Trickster

Against the CV and only the CV. It's 33%, so that's 43 damage off the RPG/Mortar and 50 damage off the sticky. Though we were discussing not changing it for the RPG/Mortar because the RPG has a 3 second cycle time and the Mortar should always do the same damage as the RPG, so we're unsure. But the point is, if 33% extra required is enough to make it too hard for you to ninja the CV, then you were fucking awful at it to begin with. It'll make little to no difference if you don't suck.

14. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I hope you don't forget to nerf squad artillery and mines against the CV as well.

15. Trickster

Squad artillery are just mortar shells, so that gets caught in that nerf. Mines don't need nerfing. There is absolutely no excuse for getting mined. You can't mine while hidden (unlike right click stunning), you can't mine while the commander is in engine mode. The counter to mining is to drop a camera and pop into drive mode every now and then. If you get mined, you deserve it.

16. 101010

101010 Member

Do you realize how little damage mines do?
    Plus it is easy to counter....just move if in the CV. If out of it just shoot the CV. Any movement will detonate the mines being placed.

@Teef - I like the Bunker idea. Wish it was possible to have an option to use bunkers instead of CVs. Would allow some interesting map designs. No more CVs in blimps.............

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  17. Paradox

>5 mine cv
    >run away
    >shoot cv
    >CV flips
    >Chaos ensues
    >squad arty
    >.....
    >profit

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

The counter to flipping is placing a turret.

19. Paradox

people dont know where to put it. Dont tell them

20. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

But does the rest of the team deserve it?