What do you think the commander vehicle should be?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Lazybum, May 17, 2014.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I kinda agree. Don't really agree about the respawn though. And with wages you'd be able to somewhat spawn tanks and stuff, as well as with vehicle salvaging.

But one of the problems used to be that people would pound away at a base for tens of minutes even though they could end it, just to dick on people. Having the game continue after a CV death would probably encourage that...leaving one building up just so you could face punch the spawning infantry, etc.

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

It's already being done, people just ignore the CV and leave one rax up.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I've said this a few times and I'll say it again.

I like Dota, Dota is a fun game. But the fact is with Dota, a great deal of matches become unwinnable within the first 5-10 minutes, that's just the reality of it. Due to the nature of how quickly a round can be won in Empires, the game is almost never unwinnable. No matter how far you got behind in the early-game, you can always still win the game. That's why I love Empires, because the game is never over until the CV of one team dies. Very few other games can say that, and it's not a property of the game that I'd like to lose. Adding win conditions like (for example) "destroy all spawns", or "kill all buildings" or whatever, would essentially make it nigh on impossible for most comebacks. The game would have really lost something special if that was the case.

4. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

"I like Dota, Dota is a fun game. But the fact is with Dota, a great deal of matches become unwinnable within the first 5-10 minutes" Ya scrub

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

Even I agree with Paradox. This speaks volumes.

6. FN198

FN198 Member

just wanna put this out there, to everyone who is saying that it only takes 10-12 seconds to win the game: try it yourself in a populated server and tell me how long it takes you to get all of the pieces in place to pull it off

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yeah, but it can be worse. Much worse.

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

It's not just 12 seconds, but the time between the "commander under attack" to defeat is around that if the timing on stickies is good. Maybe up it to 20 so that there is a little room for the defence to react but it's still not a whole lot even if the CV is just outside the barracks. Then again, the "comm should git gud" argument comes into play....

...which is still kind of BS.

9. FN198

FN198 Member

If there are a lot of turrets (which there should be and usually are) then the slightest slip up will ruin it.

• If you shoot you will be shredded
    • If you press left click instead of right click when nading you will be shredded
    • If you are revived in LoS you will be shredded unless the engi lays down walls
    • If you begin to lay down walls you can be shredded
    • If your squad hide expires you will be shredded
    • If you drop an ammo box without first dropping walls you will be shredded

swapping lead back and forth for squad hides, heals and revives while dodging a death maze and trying to stay hidden in a game where people are constantly moving through and looking for people to kill is hard.

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

I tried to make a point against thisbut I gave up somewhere along the way. I'm not fully convinced, but I see where you are hailing from, and can't construct a proper argument in response.

11. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

It's not worth arguing with people who exploit game design weaknesses to the max.

12. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Seriously com needs to be able to drop one com bunker. This also will make sudden death more interesting.

It should be a complete square with doors on all 4 sides for him to drive out of. So he can get in from any angle and get out. It could also have an engy camera/radar ability so he can see on map around himself. When com is in the bunker he should not show up on the map to the enemy that he is in there.

Not sure on door idea yet but, leaning towards a bound key for coms to hit to open/close bunker doors.

13. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Actually, the idea of locking down the commander in some way sounds real neat to me. A commander sacrifices the ability to get out of danger and the ability to move around to build the base for the ability to keep himself safe from ninjas, possibly increasing his health/defense so his team can come to his rescue.

Though, this would be a direct counter to what trickster was saying about how the game isn't over til a comm is dead. This would effectively make it impossible for the enemy team to ninja a win in dire conditions, I mean it is usually the losing team that does these tactics.

Edit: This got me thinking, what if there was a way to make it so the commander can change his vehicle in some way, like a skill with cool down or something, that could make it so he can change to high defense slow engine, and real fast but his armor slowly takes damage, to the default he has now(average speed/health.)

Really, I just kinda think he needs some way of dealing with things when he has a new/bad/uncooperative/unresponsive team. I know its old talk, but something like how marines have that beacon thing in ns2. Just something that works more empiresy.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  14. communism

communism poof

they need to die to 9 mines again ez pz

15. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I think, after much discussion, we're going to make it take a bit longer to kill a CV with only infantry, but also make it easier to communicate to the team that the CV is under attack. It's a compromise between making ninjaing impossible to pull off but giving the defending team more indication that they need to do something about it and giving them a bit more time to react.

16. Paradox

Please no, just add the latter first then if shit still goes wrong the cv health, dont buff both thats just stupid.

edit: Maybe have an emergency button on the cv that reduces cooldown for spawning by 5 seconds once per game.

17. Candles

The fact is that even with a perfect defense, the comm simply dies too fast for a team to react to a ninja. We're talking maybe 10 more seconds to respond here at the most.

18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The damage of Sticky Bombs and RPGs/Mortars will be lowered by 33% vs the CV. The commander's name in the top left will flash when he's under attack.

That's all that's getting changed. It's not a huge amount.

19. Paradox

increase by 1/3rd is pretty huge man.

20. Candles

It makes it about 20 - 30 seconds to kill a CV. I put that at "Low enough to be possible, high enough that a team can't complain if their comm died."